FanStory.com - The Autopsy of a Trash bagby Brigitte Elko
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Snooping through someone's trash can be revealing.
The Autopsy of a Trash bag by Brigitte Elko
Artwork by ChuckWaxman at FanArtReview.com

Once I had a neighbor who was obviously withdrawn or shy. She never once visited and seemed put out when I called on her.
I wondered about her often and then one day my quirky self decided I wanted to know more about her.
Sneaking around like a burglar in the night, I set out on my planned task. I waited until her lights were out and I was sure she was in bed asleep.
My target, her trash bag was sitting by the curb, sealed tight by a blue drawstring. I hesitated because what I was planning seemed absurd even to me on second thought. But, determined, I donned rubber gloves, walked to the trash bag and ever so sneakily dragged it to my yard.
Staring at the bag for a long time made me curious about the contents. First thing noted was how heavy the bag was. I filed that information into my brain data bank.
Now, the autopsy began by slitting the bag open with my long nails. This I had not planned on and muttered "Damn" when I broke a nail.

Author note: The starred lines are my mental notes.

Right on top there was an empty wine bottle, White Zinfadel, I knew we had something in common.
I chugged the bottle aside and made a mental note.
*She likes wine.
The next item discarded was a home pregnancy test box, empty .
*I hope the results were what she was looking for.
Cigarette butts were scattered like weeds in the bag and the smell of this staleness was nauseating.
*She was heavy smoker.
The South Beach Diet Book was next to surface.
*The book had pizza and chocolate stains all over it, hmm, diet unsuccessful.
Getting a little discouraged and my curiosity waning, I wondered about my neighbor's life. She didn't appear to be overweight and didn't reek of smoke when I visited.
Tempted,only tempted, to give up, I decided to dig a little deeper. Like a medical examiner, I carefully lifted the next item covered by sticky goo from what had obviously been a chocolate milkshake. Using my gloved hand, I wiped it off and found a picture of a handsome man in an ornate frame. The smile on the face of the man gazing back at me was magnetic.
*This man had been something to my neighbor but was now discarded. Boyfriend? Brother? Husband? I wondered.
Newspapers, old mail, and TV dinner boxes were assembled in the trash. Just as I was about to stop this insane search, yes, I was beginning to feel as guilty as a thief, I saw a letter that was neatly written on one sheet of paper. my curiosity was not sated and I began to read.

Dear Neighbor,
It is very lonely here, I have not made any friends yet. I can not find the courage to visit you because from what I can see your life is full. Your friends come and go often and I don't think I would fit into your busy life.
My whole life, I have been hiding because of my shyness. You are my neighbor but I have nothing to offer you and I do not want to be a burden to you. My life is empty and lonely. If you visit again, I will try not to be rude and welcome you...can we try again as if .....

I read this plea in a letter more than once and like a coroner made a mental note, my last note.

* Go next door in the morning and make a new friend; share your dirty deed of the night before with her. If she forgives my snooping, I know we can become friends and sip a glass of wine while we chat.

Author Notes
Discarded trash can tell a lot about a person. Thank you ChuckWaxman for the use of your wonderful art work.

     

© Copyright 2024. Brigitte Elko All rights reserved.
Brigitte Elko has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement