FanStory.com - Nightmareby scongrove
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sins of Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series
Sins of Chaos
: Nightmare by scongrove

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
Previously...

Now that Abbey finally put an end to the ruthless scientist who killed her father, and kept her prisoner for years, torturing her with endless lab experiments, she had to warn her beloved Steven that he was in danger.

Before Dr. Autenburg had met his end, he was hired by Valkin Steele—a billionaire client that funded his research—to locate an Adalwolf with the power to heal his dying mistress. And Steven was the target.

During her escape, Abbey was caught off guard and tranquilized by Valkin Steele’s body guard, Roman Kincaid. Just as she thought all hope was lost, her luck finally turned around. Roman, who was also an Adalwolf, promised Abbey he would keep her safe, and help her reunite with Steven. Left with no other choice, Abbey could only pray Roman was a man of his word. 

Now that Abbey is in good hands—protected by Roman and a team of Special Ops—the next step is reuniting her with her beloved, Steven.

As Steven and Abbey finally reunite, she is introduced to the others in the Covenant as they meet Roman and his team of Special Ops—Lena, Justice, and Bull—to prepare for more allies to show. 


Later the night, Roman and his team member, Lawrence Colbert, were ambushed by Gordan Bates and his brother Joey—trackers hired by Valkin Steele—to gain information to the whereabouts of the Breedline Covenant in order to capture Steven for his abilities to heal a fatal wound. During their altercation, Roman and Lawrence were left with no other choice but to shift into their supernatural state and take them out. 
  
   

Continued...

After Tim received a call from Roman at two in the morning, he quietly slipped out of bed and got dressed, trying not to wake Angel.

When he reached for the door, a sleepy voice said, “Where are you going at this hour?”

Tim turned around and walked over to the bed. As he plopped down next to Angel, moving her over just enough that he could perch on the edge of the mattress. He leaned over and pressed his lips to her forehead.

“I’m sorry I woke you,” he said. “I got a call from Roman. He’s on his way. I’m meeting him downstairs.”

Her eyes widened in concern. “What’s going on?”

“Don’t worry about it, honey. I’ll take care of this. Go back to sleep.”

Angel scooted higher on the bed, sitting up against her pillows, knees were drawn up and arms wrapped around her legs. “Please, Tim. Tell me what’s going on. I have the right to know if our family is in danger.”

As he turned on the bedside lamp, his heart lurched at the uncertainty written on Angel’s face. 
 
“Honey, I don’t want you to worry. I promise it’s nothing we can’t handle.”

Slowly Angel nodded, and Tim lifted his hand to her face, cupping her chin as he stared into her eyes, wanting her to know how serious he was.

“I swear on my life ... I will keep this family safe,” he said quietly, his voice thick with emotion.

Then, he carefully unwrapped her arms from her legs and pulled her forward until she was in his lap.

Angel emitted a soft gasp and then melted into his embrace, her body going slack against his. Tim could feel her heartbeat against his chest, fluttering like a butterfly.

“Trust me on this, Angel,” he whispered.

She released a sigh and then lifted her mouth to his and kissed him. “I do,” she murmured. Tears glistened in her eyes, and she swallowed visibly as she stared at him in almost helpless fashion. “I trust you, Tim.”
 
“Thanks for your trust, sweetheart. I’ll check on Natalie before I head downstairs.”

“I love you,” Angel said softly.

“I love you, too.”

As Tim walked reluctantly through the door, closing it quietly behind him, he walked to the next room to check on their daughter before he went downstairs.

When he looked in on Natalie, who was sleeping soundly, Tim was taken with the image of his daughter and Buddy the cat snuggled up together. Natalie’s arm was tucked around the cat as if she was holding onto a stuffed teddy bear.

Tim stood in the doorway, watching them a moment longer, taking pride in the sight of his little girl. As the cat’s head popped up, peering out of a pair of glowing green eyes, he acknowledged Tim’s presence with a soft meow.

Leaving the door slightly open, he headed toward the stairs just as Jace and Tessa came out of their room, each holding on to one of the twins.

Jace frowned. “Tim, what are you doing up so early?”

Tim gave a panicked, deer-in-the-headlights look as he glanced over his shoulder. His expression was troubled, which immediately put Jace—and Tessa—on guard. Tessa looked intently at him, her gaze probing and said, “Is something wrong?”

“Hey, little guys,” Tim said, avoiding Tessa’s question as he walked toward them and smiled at the babies. It took every bit of his control to keep his expression impassive. “I swear they get bigger every time I see them.”

Tessa grinned. “That’s because they’ve clearly inherited their father’s appetite,” she said rolling her eyes at Jace.

Jace grimaced. “What’s wrong with that? They’re growing boys.”

Tim reached for the baby, deftly taking him from Tessa’s arms. He looked at the baby and his expression lightened. Yeah, Tim was a sucker for kids. “Who do I have here,” Tim said, lightly squeezing the baby. “Are you little Jax?”

Jax offered a tentative smile and then glanced over at Tessa. He yawned broadly and burrowed his head against Tim’s neck. Tim shifted Jax in his arms so he could hold him more securely and then returned his attention to Tessa and Jace.

“It’s two o’clock in the morning, Tim. We’re up because of the twins, but why are you up so early?” Tessa asked again, her eyes narrowing with curiosity.    
  
“I didn’t want to wake anyone,” Tim said shortly. “Not yet anyway. Not until I got more information.”

Tessa immediately came to attention, and so did Jace.

“What’s going on, Tim?” Jace asked with an anxious note to his voice.

Tim sighed. “I just got a call from Roman. He’s on his way. Two guys ambushed him and Lawrence at their hotel.”

“Oh my god,” Tessa gasped. “Are they all right?”

“Yes, they’re fine. Roman told me he recognized one of the men. His name is Gordon Bates. He’s a tracker, hired by Valkin Steele. Bates threatened to kill Lawrence if Roman didn’t give him our location. Steele knows we’re keeping Steven here in the Covenant.”

Jace snorted his displeasure. Dammit. This was not what he wanted to hear. “Please tell me Roman didn’t give up our location.”

Tim shook his head. “No, he didn’t tell them anything.”

“What happened to,” Tessa hesitated, clearing her throat and finally said, “those men?”

“They’re dead,” Tim said in a grim voice. “Roman and Lawrence took care of them.”

Tessa nodded her approval, grudging respect in her eyes as she stared back at Tim.

“When Steele finds out his men are missing, it won’t be long before he sends another tracker,” Jace pointed out.

“Yeah,” Tim agreed. “Roman said something about that. He mentioned the name Cole Decker.”

“Son of a bitch,” Jace swore.

“Jace,” Tessa snapped. “Watch your language in front of the boys.”

“Sorry.”

“Who is this Cole guy?” Tessa queried.

“He’s a hired tracker,” Tim replied. “One of the best. And he’s also wanted by the FBI.”

“For what?”

“For trafficking young girls,” Jace interjected before Tim could answer. “I saw it on the news a year ago. Not only does he sell girls, but Decker is also a sex offender.” 

Tessa’s disgusted expression was instantaneous. “What are we going to do?”

“Let’s wait for Roman and Lawrence to arrive,” Tim suggested. “After we get more details, we’ll get everyone updated. From there, we’ll figure the rest out.”

“What about the bodies?” Jace asked. “They’re not going to just leave them there, are they?”

“Roman’s team is taking care of it,” Tim explained. “They’ll meet up with us afterward.” 

It wasn’t long after they descended the stairs when Tim knew the moment Roman and Lawrence entered the main gate of the Covenant. An alert was triggered, and the video monitors by the front entrance zoomed in on the vehicle, getting a close-up of the driver and confirming Roman’s identity.

A few moments later, the front door buzzed.

Tessa reached for Jax as Tim placed him in her arms. “There you go little buddy ... back to Mommy.”

When Tim moved to the door, Tessa turned toward Jace and said, “Honey, can you take the twins upstairs to the nursery and put them to bed? I don’t want them to be around all this.”

Jace didn’t like leaving Tessa, but he didn’t argue. Instead, he turned on a bright smile for little Jem and Jax. “How about we go upstairs so Daddy can read you a bedtime story,” he said softly.

Jax’s eyes brightened, and little Jem clapped his hands.

As Tessa slid Jax into Jace’s free arm,” she said, “Do you need any help carrying them upstairs?”

“Nope, I got ‘em,” Jace grunted as he held on to the boys securely. And then he leaned forward and kissed Tessa. “Love you, honey. I’ll be back as soon as I put them down for the night.”

“Thank you, Jace. I love you, too,” Tessa said as she blew kisses at the boys. “Go night-night with Daddy.”

****

Abbey’s dreams were tormented with countless flashes of her painful past. They streamed together in one unending horrific nightmare.

The chains were around her ankles and wrists again, but instead of Steven freeing her agonizing confinement, Dr. Hans Autenburg had been standing there, his gaze seething.  

“You vill turn into your Lupa, Fraulein Abigail,” Dr. Autenberg ordered in a heavy German accent.

Dread filled her stomach and rose to her throat, tightening until it was hard to breathe. No matter what they did to her, Abbey wouldn’t let them break her. She’d promised her father.

“You can go to hell!” she yelled out, her voice hoarse. “I’ll never give you what you want.”

Abbey looked at the physician with a hateful glare, her heart damn near pounding out of her chest.

He gave her a short nod and said, “Is zat so?”

Next, he turned to one of his men and uttered a guttural command Abbey didn’t understand. When two guards stepped out of the room, Dr. Autenburg said, “I’fe got something zat vill change your mind.”

Abbey gasped when the guards came back with Steven. He was dragged through the doorway and shoved forward. To her horror, a guard drew a metal stick and rammed it into Steven’s stomach. He immediately grunted and doubled over.

“No!” Abbey screamed. “Please don’t hurt him!”

Another guard cracked a wooden club over Steven’s head, dropping him to the ground.

Abbey pulled against her restraints, trying to get to him, to somehow protect him from the attack.

“Get up,” one of the guards said. When Steven didn’t immediately comply, the other guard wrapped his hand in Abbey’s hair and yanked her head sideways.

Steven shot to his feet when he heard Abbey scream.


Even though Dr. Autenburg’s men had drugged Steven, his blurry vision caught sight of Abbey. “Don’t hurt her,” Steven pleaded. “Please. I’ll do anything you ask.”

The guard standing above Steven slammed his blunt weapon viciously into Steven’s back. His knees buckled, and he went down on one knee.

“Stop it!” Abbey screamed.

 As Steven staggered back up, he looked Dr. Autenburg square in the eyes. “I’ll give you anything you want. Just don’t hurt her.” 

“It’s not vat I vant from you,” Dr. Autenburg said through gritted teeth. “She has vat I vant. I vant zee she-wolf!”

Abbey bit back her lip to keep from screaming out. She was sick with fear and fury. Steven couldn’t fight back, and the bastards were taking full advantage.  

“If she doesn’t give me vat I vant, I vill let my guards have zeir vay vith her vile you vatch,” the sinister physician threatened, pinning Steven with a baleful stare. “You have five minutes to conffince her.”

“What?” Steven gasped. “No! Please don’t do this!”

Dr. Autenburg pointed at Abbey and commanded something to the guards in German.

Oh god, Steven thought as he watched the guards unchain Abbey wrists and ankles. She struggled as they dragged her to a ratty mattress in the corner of the room covered in what looked to be an old bloodstain.

Fear and panic crowded Abbey’s mind until she wanted to scream them away. She had no other choice but to shift into her Lupa before she would let them take what she wasn’t willing to give. 

As Abbey looked to Steven for support, his panicked expression made her uneasy. Nothing in her experience had prepared her for a moment like this. Tearing her gaze away from him, Abbey took one last look at Dr. Autenburg with hatred smoldering in her eyes. Although it galled her very soul to admit it, she realized that this was a fight she could not win without shifting into her Lupa.

When the guards shoved her to the dirty mattress, they gazed down at her like two predators. While one bound her hands, the other was upon her in an instant, pinning her down with his heavy body. 
  

Abbey struggled to break free, but the guard’s powerful grip was too firm against her petite frame. Steven stood in the near distance, screaming her name.

Acting on instinct, Steven’s chest began to expand, the muscles bulging with superhuman power. His skin took on a shimmery, iridescent hue. A mane of coarse brown hair framed his subhuman features, which were more human than a Breedline’s, but still unmistakably feral. Sharp claws jutted from his hands and feet, shredding his clothes and shoes until they fell away from his Adalwolf transformation. 

Dr. Autenburg was thrown backward as Steven slammed into him with bone-jarring force. The sudden impact left him dazed, but at the last minute, Dr. Autenburg reached inside the pocket of his white coat. When he brought his hand out, a vengeful grin stretched the physician’s face as he aimed a tranquilizer gun at Steven.

Steven howled in agony as the drug surged throughout his body, burning from the inside. Before he lost consciousness, he dropped to his knees, reaching out to Abbey.

Abbey’s gaze fell upon Steven; his body was limp and still. His agonized groans had fallen silent, and his sparkling diamond eyes had closed.

“No!” Abbey yelled out in anger. An emotion she knew would unleash the she-wolf she’d locked away and hidden deep inside. An uncontrollable rage suffused every cell in Abbey’s body.

The two guards ripping at her clothes provoked her even more. Abbey opened her mouth to scream in defiance—and was startled to feel bone and muscle shifting beneath her skin. Every hair on her body bristled and began to grow. Her fingers and toes curled into claws.

Abbey threw back her head in pain as her spine stretched and bones were forced into a new shape against its natural origins.

“She’s shifting!” a guard yelled. Before he could blink, a shaggy arm swiped at him, the blow slicing through his gut, spilling his entrails out onto the floor.

As the remaining guard ran toward the door, it slammed in his face and locked from the outside.

With his fists, he pounded on the thick metal door and begged Dr. Autenburg for mercy.  
 

Abruptly, Abbey’s eyes snapped open. Coal-black orbs stared into the darkness with feral rage. As her jaws stretched wide, she released a ferocious roar.

The unearthly sound startled Steven from a deep slumber. Taken aback, he stumbled backward as Abbey’s she-wolf lunged at him.

“It’s me, Abbey,” Steven said in a soothing tone. “It’s Steven. Remember?”

Abbey’s crazed Lupa drove him across the room into the wall opposite of the bed. The towering creature drew back her lips, exposing her sharp canines.

Regaining his composure, Steven knew nonetheless that his life was in danger. But hopefully, after all this time, their bond would remain strong, and she would recognize him.

“Please, Abbey,” he pleaded, staring into her soulless eyes. “I would never do anything to harm you. I love you.”
    
The she-wolf’s eyes narrowed as she studied Steven’s face. And then an unexpected sound caught her attention. She snarled and swiveled her head toward the door, seemingly irritated by the unfamiliar voice. But Steven recognized it. Shit! It was Jace.

To be continued...

 

Author Notes
NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong, that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEENS RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back human and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change human again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a. CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for, and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
They have the ability to reach into the Breedline's mind during sleep, casting a spell of dreams about sexual contact, or intercourse. And one much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

HALF-BREED - This species is born with the genes from both Breedline and succubus. They can bond with either a full-blood Breedline or another half-breed. They cannot change into the Breedline wolf, but they do need blood from them to survive. With the power to hypnotize, most Breedlines have minimal respect and credence toward the half-breed species.

WICCA (or Wise One) - According to the Breedline species, a Wicca is the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts, and necromancy. A Wicca is also considered to be a demonic spirit. It is unclear to the Breedline if they act under the orders of the devil, or they are simply not understood and treated as outcasts. They can do white magic (good) or dark (evil).

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, three times the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two-shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. And an Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, except the moon has no power over them and it cannot be passed on to others like a virus. It is passed on through genetics to the female offspring, known as a she-wolf. This type of creature shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature, and is considered dangerous... cursed.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He was taken from his mother and forced to endure a life of endless, painful experiments by two German physicians; Dr. Hans Autenburg and Dr. Hubert Crane. Without the knowledge of his real family, Steven finally manages to escape his captors, locating his biological parents and his fraternal twin, Tessa Fairchild.

Abbey (a.k.a. Abigail Winthrop) - She inherited the genetics of a Lupa from her mother, who died giving birth. Captured by Dr. Hans Autenburg, a German physician, she spent most of her life forced to endure experiments until she finally managed to escape. With no place to go, Abbey is determined to finally reunite with her beloved Steven after they were separated years ago.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and head council of the California Covenant. Angel, his bonded mate - who is a half-breed - has Tim's daughter they named Natalie, after her sister.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species which later discovers his birth father - who is possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon -murdered his mother when he and his twin brother were four years old. Raised by their new foster family and their Uncle Jacks, he later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast. With the help of his twin brother Jem, and his bonded mate Tessa, they help him cope with his rage to keep the Beast at bay. He's an IT engineer and is the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, she was raised by her aunt and uncle without the knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she is the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.


     

© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement