FanStory.com - Momentary Mirageby pome lover
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A wish? a dream? 'round the bend?
Momentary Mirage by pome lover
Someone Else writing prompt entry


 
My eyes open.

I stretch, reaching up over my head to grab hold of my iron headboard.  My arms!  They’re sun-tanned.  Young.  What in…?

I throw back the covers.  Wow!  Shapely, tanned legs.  And my back doesn’t hurt. I smile, but what’s going on? Who am I?  I’m scared to find out. But curiosity wins.  I slowly look across the room into my dresser mirror.

It’s ... the person I used to fantasize about being!  The look I always wanted!  Right down to the green eyes, and oh! I've got black, curly hair!  And dimples!  I always wanted dimples.  AND NO WRINKLES!  I can't believe it.  How did this happen?  I leap from bed.  Leap from bed? Am I kidding?  This is so great!  What ache?  What Pain?  I feel like an Advil ad.  I can’t stand it, I practically rip off my pajamas.  Holy Cow!  What a bod. Whaddaya know!

I’m so excited I dance down the hall to the kitchen without a stitch on.  I feel good! I feel great!  On the counter my little yellow pill box sits, with its plethora of morning, noon and night pills.  Ha!  I throw it in the trash and actually whistle (I was never able to whistle) as I make the coffee. This is so cool.  But… something really strange has happened.  Have I finally… gone ‘round the bend?  I mean, is this for real?

I go out to the mirror in the living room.  It’s my fantasy, all right, but does that mean no kids, no dogs, no unfaithful husband? I'm a totally different person--not me at all.  Nobody's going to recognize me.  They won't know who I am.  Ouch!  My toe hit a chair leg!  So I couldn't be dreaming, could I?

I take my coffee in the bathroom and turn on the shower.  This is really bazaar.  I don’t know what fantasy me is going to do with my day. Will I do the same things the real me did?  How different will I be?  I take a quick look in my closet.  What in the world can I wear?  Nothing's going to fit.   What will my friends think?  Friends!  What about my daughter and granddaughter?  Do they still exist?  They won't recognize me, so how will they know it's me?  I’ll call them…after I shower, and my sister.  She won't believe it.  Or, if she does, she'll be jealous.  No, she won’t.  She’ll think I’m pulling her leg.  Well, first shower, then make phone calls. Wow.  This is my chance for a new life, new everything. I can't wait to get started!

Oh-h-h, that feels so good.  I stand there with the water beating down on my beautiful new body, and close my eyes.  Nothing like a good, {scrub scrub} hot shower to start the day.  I let the water run over my face and curly  hair - yes! natural curls - for a while, turn off the faucet, step out (my knee twinges) and reach for my towel.   As I wipe my face, I see myself in the mirror.

 OH! Oh, No!  The real me. The old, wrinkled me.  No-o-o-o-o-o-o!

My cell phone rings.  It’s my sister.  “Hi, Sis. Oh… nothing.  I just... I just... got out of the shower.”
 
 
 



Writing Prompt
You (or your character) wakes up and are someone different.

Author Notes
twilight zone at work

     

© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement