FanStory.com - Having To Go!by aryr
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Being stuck in a elevator is not fun.
Having To Go! by aryr
    Stuck in an elevator Contest Winner 

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

My usual practice was to climb the stairs for work rather than ride the elevator. I always allowed myself plenty of time to be there for the start of shift.

It is not that I hate elevators, it is more along the line of not liking enclosed spaces. Yep, it was a severe case of claustrophobia. Windowless basements and bathrooms were also high on the list.

So with that being said, it was reasonable that I preferred to climb the stairs. All nine floors of them. Going down at the end of the shift was a lot easier than going up and then working twelve hours. It was great exercise and fantastic for my lungs and heart.

I had a good arrangement with the other nurses, if one of my patients needed to go off the floor for testing, one of the others would normally take them. I would of course cover their patient load.

The only time this did not work well was when I was pulling charge duty and I was then expected to travel with the patients if they required a cardiac monitor. It seemed every time I was assigned charge duty there was at least one monitored patient, but more commonly it was several.

The assistant charge nurse was great and managed to cover most of them. This is a story about one time she just couldn't.

Mr. White (not his real name) had a scheduled an EGD or esophagogastroduodenoscopy, which was to check out his digestive tract from the mouth to the stomach basically. A light sedation would be given and because he was on a cardiac monitor, it also required my presence.

Since she had not returned it was up to me. Now don't get me wrong, I did not deliberately try to fluff off my duties and responsibility. I recognized a problem that I had and would deal with it as needed.

So, Mr. White and I were to travel together. And of course, this meant a trip on the elevator, all nine floors. At least he was able to travel in a wheelchair with his monitor secured to my side of the back of the seat.

When we got onto the elevator, there was no one else, but given that it was a busy time of the day, I expected others. Surprisingly this did not happen as we passed eight, seven, six or five.
The damn thing stopped between the fourth and fifth floor. The lights flickered for a moment, then we went to auxiliary power, which was not a good sign. I gasped.

"You don't like elevators much, do you?" Mr. White asked.

"In all honesty, no, I am not fond of being stuck in small windowless things."

"Well, the secret that I learned a long time ago is two fold. First you recognize or acknowledge your fear, your concern. Second is to have a means of distraction." He had my attention.

"What do you mean? What sort of distraction?" I asked.

"I am sure you would never have guessed that twenty years ago, I was just like you. I couldn't stand elevators for the same reason. Then I got stuck in one with two other people and this lady talked me through my fear, just like I will do for you. Okay?" He patted his robe pocket.

"Really, you are so calm." My attention was focused on the small rectangular shape outlined in the pocket.

"First, I want you to say you are afraid and why."

"Okay, I am claustrophobic and I do not do well with elevators, especially nonworking ones."

"Good, now we will play cards, your choice of games and my lap will be the table."

"You have got to be kidding me."

He smiled and shuffled the cards.

It is amazing how time flies when one is distracted. We played several hands of the silly 'Go Fish' game.

The phone in the elevator rang and I answered it, only to be advised that the repair would be completed in less than ten minutes. It had been almost three hours, I was impressed with Mr. White.

When the elevator finally moved, we were whisked to the ground floor, as planned. Upon our exit, Mr. White beckoned to me and whispered, "I have to go, do you mind?"

I smiled and took him to the closest rest room so he could empty his bladder before his test.

Since then I always carry a deck of cards in my pocket just in case and I always remember his words.


Writing Prompt
Write a short story. The topic is: Stuck in an elevator!
Stuck in an elevator
Contest Winner

Author Notes
Thank you to supergold for the art work 'up the elevator.'

     

© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement