FanStory.com - Inside My Bubbleby Heather Knight
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Just thinking out loud
Inside My Bubble by Heather Knight

I live in an ivory tower. I promise you... I do. Or a bubble, if you prefer.

I guess the bubble metaphor is more accurate, shinier, simpler and soapier. And I usually feel proud of my simple prose, even though I know some consider its lack of adornment a flaw.

I've been a member of FanStory for almost two years now and I still don't understand half of what goes on in here. You might think it's due to my lack of intelligence, but I don't think I'm particularly dumb... maybe I'm not too modest either.

Anyway, I do my best when it comes to the site. I post stories, poems and novel chapters that I think are entertaining and not too badly written. Well, when it comes to poems, those of you who really know about poetry might have a couple of things to say concerning my efforts.

When I review somebody else's work, I always try to help. However, I'm not a hundred per cent sincere, I have to confess that. I only point out the things I like, as I'm always afraid of offending my fellow writers. But I can't help that, I behave similarly in real life. If I like your dress, I will tell you, if I think it's awful, I will keep my opinions to myself. Why hurt your feelings? Yeah, I know constructive criticism is very helpful, but not everybody can take it.

However, if I see a grammar or spelling mistake, I do say it. I usually call it a typo, though. It sounds more polite, I think.

And another confession: I do review to get member dollars, but not only to get member dollars. After all, I need them to promote my own work. That doesn't mean I don't value your writings. I do.

The reason I'm posting this is because I have read some comments lately about reviewing, 'making this site great again'... and they have got me thinking.

I have to thank those of you who have opened my eyes. Very probably, however, I will continue to live in ignorance, because that's who I am.

FanStory is a great site, one that has become a big part of my life and through which I have met a lot of like-minded people.

It's lovely to read different styles, contrast different ideas and realize that even though we all love to write, we do it differently.

I don't know if I will have as much time to post and review in the next few days as I'm starting a Curtis Brown Creative course, but I will miss you all, guys.

Happy writing, reviewing and, above all, living.

An afterthought: I let this 'sit' for a couple of hours and now I'm wondering (again) why I wrote it. One of the reasons might be that I've felt like an outsider most of my life and I feel like that here as well, so maybe I'm explaining my behavior as a FS member in an effort to fit in.

Or maybe I've written it just because...

 

Recognized

Author Notes

     

© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement