FanStory.com - Chapter Dreiundzwanzig, part dreiby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana gives a brief description of Judaism.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Dreiundzwanzig, part drei by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Michael reached for the hands of his family sitting on each side of him. This continued around the table, Anderson took Shana's and she took Zachery's. Shana bowed her head with the others as Michael blessed the food.

Once that was completed, Anderson winked at Shana. "I told you there were a lot of similarities between our families."

After Michael helped himself to a healthy portion and began eating, he said, "Shana, I know Jewish people exist, but I don't think I ever met one. Exactly what do they believe?"

Anderson choked on his food and coughed. "Dad?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 23 part 3

Shana's attempt to hide her smile failed. "Drew, it's okay. I see your dad's as straightforward as mine. I don't mind his question."

"I'm guessing as with any religion there are groups that have broken off from the original." Michael took a bite.

"There are many different sects of Judaism. The majority of Jews fall into one of three categories, conservative, reform and orthodox. There are all sorts of break-offs from each one. Reformed Judaism is basically what it says; reformed. They don't celebrate the Sabbath on Saturday, but on Sunday. They've relaxed many of the rituals and stress the Torah's teaching as ethics."

Michael faced Shana. "What's the Torah?"

"Basically the five books of Moses or it's known as the Pentateuch by Christians."

"Your family attends the synagogue on Saturday, right?" asked Anderson.

"You're correct. The Orthodox Jews retain traditional Jewish laws and customs; to include separation of the sexes during worship, diet, and dress. They haven't accepted the woman's movement."

"You dress like many women." Zachery sipped his coffee. "I'm guessing you're the conservative Jews."

"We are. We embrace education and culture, for instance dress, but still remain somewhat conservative in our dress and make-up. We've kept the use of Hebrew in the liturgy, observe dietary laws and the Sabbath; basically most of the Torah rituals. We even allow women rabbis." Shana smiled. "You might say we're Modern Orthodox."

"How do the Jews view Jesus?" asked Michael.

"Our answer to that is...." Shana paused. "We believe he lived and was a teacher, but he's not part of God. We believe the Messiah is still coming. Jesus wasn't him."

"Okay, it's time we discuss security measures and where we're going to live." Anderson set his jaw.

"I agree." Susan set her fork next to her plate. "Are you going to sell the penthouse?"

"I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning that way. I worked mostly from home anyway." Anderson helped himself to more migas. "I can fly to New York when I have an unavoidable meeting which is normally once a month. I never liked the city."

"What about Emily? You won't get to see her as often." Susan picked up her coffee cup.

"I've filed for custody. I'll likely win and Patricia will lose all visitation rights."

"Are you sure you want to do that? Emily will miss her mother." Michael's eyes met Anderson's.

"We can talk about that later, but I have plenty of evidence that she's an unfit mother and puts Emily in danger." Anderson got up to refill his coffee cup. "I made a mistake marrying her, and an even bigger mistake believing she would change her ways when she became a mother." He sipped his coffee. "I'd prefer if we changed the subject." As he walked back to his seat, he patted Shana's arm. "Everything okay?"

"Everything's good." She smiled.

"You know you're welcome to stay with us, forever if you want," offered Susan.

"I know, Mom, but hopefully, in a few days Emily will be here and I don't want you to spoil her. She's already rotten enough." Anderson chuckled.

Shana tapped Anderson's arm. "Hush, she's adorable."

Anderson grinned at Shana and shook his head. "What about the patio being turned into Pirate's Cove? Did you forget searching for clues?"

"That was fun." She giggled.

"You're as impossible as she is." Anderson winked at Shana and then faced his mom. "Truthfully, I'm afraid she'll cause you extra work. I don't want to be an extra burden." After a pause, he continued, "That being said, Dad, I was hoping you'd have suggestions."

"I imagine you're bringing your help and security, right?" When Anderson nodded, Michael continued, "The Angel Bay property has seven bedrooms, ten baths, twelve hundred square feet and sits on thirteen and a half acres. I'm not sure it would be large enough. How many bedrooms,do you think you'll need?"

Anderson did the math in his head. "A minimum of seven, but I'd still need places for the security team."

"If bedroom space is a problem, I don't mind sharing." Shana's eyes met Anderson's.

Anderson hung his head as his cheeks turned red.

Michael sputtered his coffee.

"I'm...." Zachery grinned.

"Don't say a word," ordered Anderson. He glared at his brother.

"Oh my!" Shana covered her mouth as her eyes widened. "I didn't mean..."

"I'm sure you didn't, dear." Susan patted her arm.

"I'm sorry."

"Back to business." Michael's attempt to sound authoritarian lacked. "The place on Wild Road is gated with eleven bedrooms, sixteen baths, and has twenty thousand square feet."

"It should take care of the security guards. It has a guest house and a foreman's house." Zachery tapped his fork. "Shana wouldn't have to share a room." He grinned.

Anderson gave him another warning glare.

"Let's load-up and take a look at those places." Michael stood.

Standing, Anderson held the chair for Shana as she said, "I think I'll stay here."

"Probably, a good idea." Anderson grinned and shook his head.







Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.

Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother

Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father

Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for an image of Mother's Day card. I had chosen a boring artwork of some Jewish facts, but at the last minute decided on this. I do wish all Mothers a very special day. I don't think there's a harder job or one with more rewards anywhere. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement