FanStory.com - Chapter Dreiundzwanzig, part zweiby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana discovers more about Anderson.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Dreiundzwanzig, part zwei by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

He put his hands on the back of a bench and, again, stared at the lake. Moments later, he said, "Zack walked up. You think I told him about the nightmares. Am I right?" His eyes met Shana's. "I told you I wouldn't tell anybody, and I won't."

"You said you might tell Philip, and Zachery's your brother. He's closer than Philip."

"Shana, Shana, Shana..." Anderson kicked some dirt. "You are so wrong. True, Zack's my brother and we're close. I'd do anything for him." He grinned. "But at times we're enemies. We're typical brothers. But I'd never share that with him." Anderson stepped back, studied her eyes, and then dried an escaped tear. "I'm wondering if it's more than that." He took a deep breath. "I'm going out on a limb now. Maybe your feelings for me are more than being an acquaintance, and that has you scared so you've searched for a reason to step back."

Shana turned toward the lake. "I don't know what you're talking about. I've told you we can't have a relationship. It would never work."

Stepping in front of Shana, Anderson continued, "I see. I'll drop it for now. He held out his arms. "Come here." After Shana cuddled in, he kissed her forehead. "I love my family, but I don't share my private life with them. You're part public life and part private life. Our relationship isn't for their knowledge, at least not yet. Hopefully, someday, it will. That's up to you. I've told you, I'll never pressure you." He paused. "Can I be Drew again?" When she nodded, he asked, "Ready for breakfast? Mom made migas with homemade tortillas. It's one of my favorites."

"Your mom doesn't have a cook?"

"Nope, she likes to do things herself. You're going to find things a lot different here than in New York." Anderson glanced toward the house and then back at Shana. "You need to tell me when something's bothering you, no matter what it is."

Shana nodded. "I'll try."

Silence ensued as their lips almost met. A crack and a bang sounded. Anderson pushed Shana to the ground and covered her body with his.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 23 part 2

Security surrounded Anderson and Shana with weapons readied. Moments later another boom rang out. One guard pointed to the left. "It's coming from over there, across the lake."

Oscar motioned for the men to lower their guns. "Anderson, it's clear." He laughed. "It looks like a compost pile or something similar exploded."

Anderson did a push up off Shana. "Sorry. I guess I overreacted." He helped her up. "Are you okay?"

Shana nodded. "Yes."

"No, you're not." He studied her upper arm as blood trickled from it. "What happened?'

She examined it. "I guess I scratched it on that." She pointed to a screw sticking out from the back of the bench. "It's only a scratch. I'm fine."

Anderson took a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped the blood. "This will have to do until we get inside." Anderson put his hand on the small of her back, led her to the house, and then to the dining room table.

"I'm glad you're back. Your dad's sure he's about to starve." Susan laughed and shook her head. "That man."

"I'm sorry. You didn't have to wait." Shana sat in the chair Anderson held.

"We have a tradition that we eat breakfast and dinner together. We try to fit in lunch, but more times than not we lose that battle." Susan finished setting the table.

"Mom, is the first-aid-kit still above the stove?" Anderson headed toward the kitchen.

"I haven't moved it. What's wrong?"

"I shoved Shana to the ground and cut her arm on that old bench. There's a rusty screw sticking out. We need to get it fixed."

"It's fine really. It's just a scratch." Shana removed the handkerchief so Susan to see. "It's barely bleeding. My tetanus is up to date. I had one less than a year ago." She placed the cloth on her lap. "I don't need this."

"Drew's feeling guilty because he shoved you down." Susan took the handkerchief from her as her gaze followed her son. "A more important question is why'd you shove her?"

"I thought I heard a gunshot. It was an explosion of some kind. Oscar thinks it was a compost pile, but I doubt it. That's rare."

As Anderson cleaned and bandaged Shana's wound, she placed her hand over his. "It's all right, really. I'm not hurt."

"I shouldn't have overreacted. I'm sorry."

Shana smiled. "It's refreshing to know you're human and make mistakes. I actually believed you never did."

"I make mistakes all the time." Anderson grinned. "That's why I surround myself with the people I do."

"Like Philip?"

He nodded. "And Jeff."

Zachery entered and added, "They go way back. He met them in the Corp."

"You were in the military?" Shana's eyes widened.

"Oops, I guess you hadn't told her that." Zachery shrugged his shoulders.

"Yes. Remember when I told you my parents didn't raise any spoiled brats? Well, we each did a tour or two in the Marines."

"Before or after college?" asked Shana.

"Before." Anderson glanced up as Michael walked in. "Hi, Dad."

"Good. We're all here. Getting you guys together for breakfast gets harder and harder." Michael watched Susan set two bowls of migas on the table. "Why two?"

Susan pointed to a bowl. "This one has chorizo in it and the other doesn't."

Michael pointed to the one with chorizo. "Shana, I doubt you'll want that one."

"I've never heard of chorizo before."

"Pork sausage. I fixed some without it." Susan sat.

"Thank you, but I don't want you to go to any extra work."

Michael reached for the hands of his family sitting on each side of him. This continued around the table, Anderson took Shana's and she took Zachery's. Shana bowed her head with the others as Michael blessed the food.

Once that was completed, Anderson winked at Shana. "I told you there were a lot of similarities between our families."

After Michael helped himself to a healthy portion and began eating, he said, "Shana, I know Jewish people exist, but I don't think I ever met one. Exactly what do they believe?"

Anderson choked on his food and coughed. "Dad?"






Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.

Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother

Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father

Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for an image of migas. I added more from the previous post because, I had a few suggestions from reviewers and I hope I've enhanced that post. Please let me know. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement