FanStory.com - Chapter Dreiundzwanzig, part einsby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson and Shana talk.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Dreiundzwanzig, part eins by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Shana hesitated at her bedroom door. "Drew, are these walls soundproof?"

"I don't think so, why?" Before she could answer, Anderson continued, "Don't worry about the nightmares. I'll be just down the hall." He pointed to a door. "If I hear anything, I'll be right there."

Zachery came down the hall. "Is there a problem?"

"No," Shana rushed the answer as she studied her feet.

"I'll see you in the morning." Anderson touched Shana's cheek with his finger and mouthed, "Everything will be fine." He joined Zachery, and they left together.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 23 part 1


The following day, the early morning sunlight shone through the window and woke Shana. I guess I finally fell asleep. She opened the curtains and saw Anderson and Zachery walking as they wiped sweat from their faces. I guess they just finished a run. By now, I'm sure everybody knows about my nightmares. She went back to bed. "Ugh!"

Shana tossed and turned. This is exactly what I did last night. She sniffed the air. "That smells good. Must be breakfast." She sat up. I guess I'd better get the humiliation over. Anderson won't let me stay here forever anyway.

After she showered and dressed, Shana walked down the long hall.

Anderson grinned when he saw her. "Good morning. How'd you sleep?"

"Just fine. Thank you for asking, Anderson."

His eyes widened as he took her hand and called, "Mom, we're going out for a little while. We'll eat later." He took out his cell, pushed a button, and said, "We're walking to the lake."

As they stood on the porch, five men surrounded them. Anderson nodded, and they spread out, allowing the couple to walk privately. The walk was silent.

At the lake's edge, Anderson stared at the water and then turned toward Shana. "What's going on? I'm suddenly Anderson again. What happened to Drew?"

Shana chewed on her lower lip. "I'm used to seeing you in fancy suits not blue jeans."

He ran his hand through his hair. "I don't believe a word you just said."

"It's true."

"I know that, but there's more going on in that pretty little head than me not wearing a suit." He released a deep breath. "I was under the impression you were becoming comfortable with me."

"This lake is beautiful."

"Shana, I'm confused. You need to talk to me." Anderson hesitated. "And not about the lake. What changed?" He studied her. "You didn't get much sleep last night, did you? Why? I told you I was only a few doors down and would be there at the slightest sound."

He put his hands on the back of a bench and, again, stared at the lake. Moments later, he said, "Zack walked up. You think I told him about the nightmares. Am I right?" His eyes met Shana's. "I told you I wouldn't tell anybody, and I won't."

"You said you might tell Philip, and Zachery's your brother. He's closer than Philip."

"Shana, Shana, Shana..." Anderson kicked some dirt. "You are so wrong. True, Zack's my brother and we're close. I'd do anything for him." He grinned. "But at times we're enemies. We're typical brothers. But I'd never share that with him." Anderson stepped back, studied her eyes, and then dried an escaped tear. "I'm wondering if it's more than that." He took a deep breath. "I'm going out on a limb now. Maybe your feelings for me are more than being an acquaintance and it's scared you so you searched for a reason to step back."

Shana turned toward the lake. "I don't know what you're talking about. I've told you we can't have a relationship. It would never work."

Stepping front of Shana, Anderson continued, "I see. I'll drop it for now. He held out his arms. "Come here." After Shana cuddled in, he kissed her forehead. "I love my family, but I don't share my private life with them. You're part public life and part private life. Our relationship isn't for their knowledge, at least not yet. Hopefully, someday, it will. That's up to you. I've told you, I'll never pressure you." He paused. "Can I be Drew again?" When she nodded, he asked, "Ready for breakfast? Mom made migas with homemade tortillas. It's one of my favorites."

"Your mom doesn't have a cook?"

"Nope, she likes to do things herself. You're going to find things a lot different here than in New York." Anderson glanced toward the house and then back at Shana. "You need to tell me when something's bothering you, no matter what it is."

Shana nodded. "I'll try."

Silence ensued as their lips almost met. A crack and a bang sounded. Anderson pushed Shana to the ground and covered her body with his.









Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.

Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother

Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father

Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for an image of Lake Travis outside of Austin, Texas. It is a beautiful place. I've had some questions about this painting. It's still there and it's still an issue. I think you'll be surprised once it all plays out. At least I hope so. LOL Thank you for all the support you give my writing.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement