FanStory.com - Nyla and Joshuaby Roxanna Andrews
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Joshua finally meets his mother
GULBRANDR- God's Sword
: Nyla and Joshua by Roxanna Andrews

Background
A boy is chosen to be a champion and captain of an army that is to defeat a evil enemy overtaking the land.

When Valdig moved his people to the mountains, he immediately began putting together an army. Several times he sent a delegation to ask the men of Wahaland to join them, fighting men were desperately needed. But Kidrick, the self proclaimed spiritual leader, had convinced the council it was a trick to gain control and every time the delegations was sent away.

"Will you go to Wahaland and once again ask their warriors to join us?" Valdig asked Joshua. "We have not sent anyone to them in many years but I believe they will listen to you as they know you. I would think your uncles would be keen to join us. I fear for them in the valley if they choose not to do so. They cannot withstand the horde on their own."

Joshua agreed. "I have no fears that my uncles would refuse to join us. They are mighty fighting men and would welcome the chance to defend their home."

"Take Hamish with you and leave him there." Augdon said. "He will, no doubt, be glad to be free of us, but he will be wanting revenge and will speak against us. I am hoping your uncles' and grandfather's words will have much weight. Take Cedric and my sons, Arvid and Magnus, they will train the men should they wish to join us." 

After the war council was done for the day, Augdon pulled Joshua aside. "I have thought much and think you should bring your mother here. You should know her as more than someone your uncles told you about. You can go tomorrow should you want to. If she should choose not to come, stay a few days with her.Take Dyster as it will be much faster."

Joshua nodded, "Yes, I will go. I would very much like to see my mother."

Joshua had never spoken to his mother, never touched her, never heard her voice except the one time he hid outside her cottage trying to decide whether to speak with her. He still regretted that he had not. Would his mother know him? His uncles told him he had her eyes and he looked much like his father. He hope that and his words would be enough for her to know him.

Months ago he would have felt an unease, a nervousness at seeing her. But he was greatly changed, he was confident and sure of himself now. If she chose not to believe him, it would change nothing.

Lyse brought Dyster out from the barn and together they saddled him.

"It is good you will bring her here. No mother should be kept from her son for so long. She will know you, I have no doubt of this," Lyse told him. Joshua kissed her and climbed onto Dyster's back.

Joshua rarely rode Dyster for pleasure. On occasion, he and Lyse would do so. Her father allowed them short flights in the daylight. 

Joshua circled the mountain range and was struck again by how hidden the fortress was. It's color blended in with it's surrounding and vines grew on the roof tops for added camouflage. With the snow it was even more hidden, an enemy would not know it was there.

Joshua pointed Dyster south and went to meet his mother after eighteen years.

Joshua looked to the sky and did not like what he saw. He feared it would snow before he reached his mother's and he would freeze. He flew Dyster low so they could land quickly and shelter if needed. He reach his mother's just before the first flakes began making their way to the ground and pile one on top of the other.

He put Dyster down and hid him in the woods behind his mother's cottage. The dense woods had a natural canopy with the trees catching much of the snow so it was not so deep. There were also fallen leaves that could be used as a bed. Joshua fix a place for him, and Dyster lay down and Joshua covered him with his straw blanket. He was asleep before Joshua reached the cottage.
********************************

Two years had passed with no sign of Joshua. Nyla kept busy with her garden, hunting, and helping Father Bart and his wife Fiona. They now had three children, two daughters and a son who were full of life and spent as much time as they could with Nyla. They were fascinated by her. They had never known a woman who could hunt and skin a deer or one so skilled with a sword and bow.

She gave the two oldest lesson. They did their chores quickly and not always well in their hast to spend time with her. They especially looked forward to visit from her nephew, Dak, who would play games and have mock sword fights with them.

Dak visited his aunt often. His heart went out to her, having lost both husband and son. She talked of Joshua often and refused to believe him dead. She still searched for him. "I would feel it, Dak, if he were gone. I know He is still alive, for that part of me is still alive."

One winter day, when snow was on the ground and the fire blazing, Nyla stood preparing her evening meal. Suddenly there was a thunderous noise and the ground shook. Her heart raced and she ran to the door, looking out to find the source of the sound. She looked to the sky to see if it might be a thunder snow storm, they often meant hail and she might need to shelter her horse.

She saw nothing but heard footsteps in the snow. She retreived her bow and strung an arrow. Her two dogs, Ren, meaning "White" and Habil, meaning "Clever", ran to her side. Arrow and Wolf had long since passed but Nyla had kept two of their offspring.

Ren was white as the snow he stood on and Habil, a most intelligent animal. They were as big as their parents and just a vigilant when it came to guarding Nyla. The warrior woman aimed her arrow in the direction of the foot falls.

From behind the cottage came a man. He wore a hooded fur cape and had gloved hands. His legs were covered in a black pant and he wore boots up to the knee. Covering his torso was a leather jerkin that fell to the top of his thighs and at his waist a wide leather belt. His teeth, white and even, gleamed at her as he smiled and his violet eyes shown.

He pulled back his hood and recognition dawned. Nyla ran to her son who lifted her from her feet in a bear hug. Both wept as they held each other for the first time in eighteen years. Though they had never spoken, it was as if they had never parted.

"I knew you would return one day," said Nyla, who shook with disbelief that she was actually looking at her son.

The snow began falling fast and heavy and she hurried him into the cottage to warm himself by the fire. "You are here at last." She could not keep the tears from coming and Joshua wrapped his arms around her again, finding it difficult himself to believe he held his mother in his arms.

Nyla made him a hot drink and had him sit at the table. She sat beside him and kept a hand on his arm as if she were afraid he would disappear. "Tell me all," she said.

"It is a very long story."

The fire burned low as they sat talking. Joshua went to check on Dyster and fetched more wood. He rebuilt the fire and Nyla finished preparing their supper. They ate as Joshua continued his story, telling her of Augdon and the fortress, and who he was born to be.

Nyla marveled at all he told her. Hadn't she always known he was special? From the time he was but a tiny babe, there was something different about him. An intelligence far greater than any child should have. She was not surprised by this revelation. It was what she expected. Even when he had disappeared, hadn't there been a quiet voice in her mind telling her all would be well.

"It is not a surprise to me that you are the chosen one. I had always known it in my heart, you were born for greatness. But how is it in all these years I never heard of this fortress or Valdig?" Nyla shook her head unable to believe so much history would be ignored. "I never heard any telling of it. Had the people forgotten or was I not allowed to know it? I wonder if your uncles know these things. Surely they would have told me."

Joshua shrugged. "My grandfather must know. His father was Valdig's brother and Hamish knew of the fortress."

"I can believe that Hamish knew. He seems to know everything. How is he faring as a prisoner?" Nyla asked.

"He is most miserable."

"I am heartily glad to hear of his misery. I guess that is a wicked thing to say."

"Not at all, we think the same. He is most annoying and makes all around him wish him gone," Joshua shook his head. "I would not want to be held a prisoner, but he should have been wiser with his planning. Augdon says often the man is an idiot, and it is true."

"Augdon sounds like a very wise man."

Joshua smiled and nodded. "Very wise," he said.

Nyla told him how she spent her days. "Your cousin, Dak, comes by often. He will be so glad to know you are well. He still searches for you. I gave him your horse, Fader, to look after. Dak has grown much. You would not know him."

Joshua looked forward to seeing his cousin.

"I wonder if you are willing to come with me." Joshua felt his heart beat a bit faster waiting for her reply.

Nyla was pleased he wished her near him. "Yes I will come. I could not stay long because of my animals, but I can come for a time."

"You can bring the dogs to the fortress if you like. I can send someone with a cart to fetch them." He did not want her to leave him too soon for worry of her dogs.

The dogs had taken a liking to Joshua, as if they knew he belonged. They sat or lay at his feet and often put their head on his thigh. 

 "I will think about it, but I have a friend who will watch them for me. I promise I will stay a good while." She smile and told him, "You have changed much." 

"I would hope I had changed. I was a babe when you saw me last," Joshua folded his arms across his chest and smiled at his mother.

"I saw you often."

Her son's eyes widend in surprise.

"Your uncles would tell me where you would be and I would be there ahead of you. They took you to the fields outside the village to show you how to use a sword, to ride a horse or shoot with a bow. I was there, hidden, watching you."

"With Augdon's men also watching me, it seems the shadows would have been crowded." 

Nyla laughed. "So tell me of the girl you wish to wed."

Joshua told her she had much in common with her as she was a Dark One also.

"She was abandon by her caregiver and brought to the fortress. Augdon's wife said they must take her. Audgon treats her no different than his other children, maybe he is more protective of her. She cares for the dragons and big cats. Lyse has a way with them and they obey her as if she were their mother. It is a sight to see."

"I will be glad to meet her. To think there are dragons so near. There were times when I felt I saw them, but I thought myself being fanciful." She shook her head in amazement.

Joshua smiled and though he tried, he could not hold back a yawn. He was tired from his long day and it was late.

"You are tired, I have kept you awake too long. Sleep now and I will see you in the morning."

"I will have to sleep out with Dyster. I must keep a fire going or he will freeze in the night."

"But you will freeze!"

"I will be well, the fire will warm me."

"Take the dogs with you." Nyla brought him thick blankets against the cold, but she did not like that he would sleep outside and worried about him through the night.

The dogs followed him to were Dyster slept and after their initial hesitation to be near the beast, they settled down. Joshua build a fire, hoping it would not attract the attention of the townspeople. He fashioned a bed and lay down for the night. The dogs, Ren and Habil, lay on either side of him and between the dogs and blankets, he was very warm indeed.

In the morning, Nyla went to check on him, but he was already up and making his way the cottage.

"How was your sleep? I slept fitfully all night, worried for you."

"No need, I was very warm between the fire and the dogs." The dogs trailed behind him and whined for attention.

Nyla made him breakfast and then went to see her friends, Father Bart and Fiona. She told them she would be away many days and could they keep watch over her home and animals. The children were distressed that she would be gone so long. Nyla hugged each one and promised to come see them the moment she returned.

 

     

© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement