FanStory.com - Winter Havenby June Sargent
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Monarch Butterfly Migration
Winter Haven by June Sargent
    Nonet Poem Contest Contest Winner 

golden gossamer wings catch the wind
following the warmth of the sun
instinctively returning
to their ancestral grove
blanketing each tree
like quivering
autumn leaves -
home sweet
home


Writing Prompt
Write a nonet poem. It's a simple format. A nonet has nine lines. The first line has nine syllables, the second line eight syllables, the third line seven syllables, etc... until line nine that finishes with just one syllable. It can be on any subject and rhyming is optional.
Nonet Poem Contest
Contest Winner

Author Notes
The monarch butterflies will spend their winter hibernating in Mexico and Southern California where it is warm all year long. If the monarch lives east of the Rocky Mountains, it will migrate to Mexico and hibernate in oyamel fir trees. If the monarch butterfly lives west of the Rocky Mountains, then it will hibernate in and around Pacific Grove, California in eucalyptus trees. Monarch butterflies use the very same trees each year when they migrate, which seems odd because they are not the same butterflies that were there last year. These are the new fourth generation of monarch butterflies, so how do they know which trees are the right ones to hibernate in? Monarch butterflies are the only insect that migrates to a warmer climate that is 2,500 miles away each year.

     

© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement