FanStory.com - Chapter Achtzehn part vierby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana is protected
Perennials of War
: Chapter Achtzehn part vier by barbara.wilkey
Book of the Month contest entry

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"You're hurting her reputation so no self-respecting Jewish man would want her." Benjamin laid his hands flat on the table.

"I see." Anderson licked his lip. "If Shana is with me, I can protect her."

"Are you insinuating I can't protect my daughter?" Benjamin stood. "I've done a pretty good job for twenty-five years." He faced Shana. "Get your bag. We're leaving."

Shana stood and walked toward the nurses' desk.

Anderson rose from his chair. "Benjamin, I've made arrangements for us to stay in a condo in Chicago. It's on the top floor, and it's secure."

"It's a good two and an half hour drive to Chicago." Benjamin set his jaw.

"I know, but we can be there in thirty minutes. I have a jet at my disposal."

"All of that isn't necessary. Her old bedroom is available."

"I've made sure there are at least two bedrooms and two full bathrooms. Shana will be very safe."

"But..."

"She can lock the damn door," interrupted Anderson. "I won't break it down." At a sound of commotion, he glanced toward Shana and ran toward her, as he yanked a knife from his back waistband.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 18 part 4

A stout man grabbed Shana and attempted to force her out the door. Anderson ran toward him, held a knife to the stranger's back, and under his breath said, "Release her or this knife," he pressed it harder against the assailant's back, "will slice your carotid and even being in a hospital won't save you."

Another man shoved a weapon in Anderson's back. "My gun trumps your knife." He had a heavy Russian accent.

Anderson felt pressure against his back but willed his body not to flinch and refused to remove the knife.

Three more men entered the room, led by Matt said, "We have you surrounded put down the weapon and release Ms. Kohlberg."

As four hospital security guards descended upon them, tears rolled down Shana's cheeks.

Anderson returned the knife to his waistband. "Matt, what took you so long?"

Matt grinned. "It was coffee and donuts time."

"Next time eat fewer donuts and only one cup of coffee. Deal?"

As Shana's parents surrounded her with hugs, Matt and the rest of the team Anderson had hired met with hospital security for a private conversation.

After hospital security left, Anderson and Matt joined the other two rescuers and discussed security. As they prepared to continue their surveillance, Matt joked with Anderson. "Jeff said this gig would be boring. He was wrong. I need to have a talk with him."

"Let's hope the remainder of the assignment is boring, but just in case, how about fewer donuts?" Anderson poked Matt's arm and grinned as he watched Shana and her parents. He shook his head. This isn't going to be an easy conversation. Wish I had some more coffee. He walked over to them.

Benjamin held out his hand. "Thank you for protecting my daughter."

Anderson accepted his hand. "Not a problem. That's why I came along and hired security." He touched Shana's hand. "Are you all right?" He paused. "I mean, really all right?"

She nodded and forced a smile. "Thank you. I'm fine."

"I don't believe you." Anderson closed his eyes and moved his head from side to side. When he finished, he said, "Benjamin, Eliana, this is why Shana can't stay with you. I understand your concern about her reputation, but I'm concerned with her life." He paused and then made a phone call. When he finished, he said, "The condo has five bedrooms and three and a half baths. Why don't you join us so you can ensure Shana's reputation?"

"We can't leave my mother alone," answered Benjamin.

"There's enough room, bring her."

Eliana blew out a long breath. "There's a cat issue."

Anderson made another call. "Bring the cat."

Before he hung up, Shana raised three fingers and mouthed, "There are three, and one is pregnant."

With a roll of his eyes, Anderson continued his phone conversation and then said, "Bring all three. There's room." He hesitated. "Is everything settled? The pregnant cat isn't due in the next two or three days, is she?"

Eliana stepped away from the group and motioned Benjamin to follow. He did.

Anderson watched Shana as he waited for Benjamin and Eliana. She's far from all right. This isn't good.

Shana turned away from Anderson.

She knows I'm watching and concerned. She's trying to hide it.

When Eliana and Benjamin finished their discussion, Benjamin said, "We have a couple of concerns." He touched his daughter's arm, but his eyes met Anderson's. "First, why wasn't the police called and Shana's attackers arrested?"

"Good question and I don't have a good answer." Anderson watched the three men hired to help protect Shana resume their positions, each in a different area, away from people. "I mentioned it was time to get the authorities involved. Hospital security didn't want the publicity and Matt, the head of the security I hired, felt it would make Kuznetsov angrier and therefore more dangerous, especially since Shana's going to be in public a little longer."

Benjamin glanced at his wife and then nodded. "It's an answer. I wish you had a better one."

"So do I. The men assured me they could protect Shana if nothing changed. Bottom-line, I got outvoted."

"I have a feeling that doesn't happen often." Benjamin smiled.

"It doesn't." Anderson returned a grin. "But a wise man knows when he's beaten, and they're the experts in security. I just pray they're right."

"From your mouth to God's ears." Benjamin took a deep breath and slowly released it. "Shana's mother and I will remain in Peoria. If Paul and Hannah need us, we'll be close. Both their parents live a few hours away. We're the closest family." He paused. "We're going to trust you with our daughter's life."

"As I've mentioned before," Anderson's eyes met Benjamin's, "I want to assure you that your daughter has been and will continue to be treated with the utmost respect. To the best of my ability, I'll make sure no harm comes to her physically or emotionally." He offered his hand. After Benjamin accepted it, he added, "Remember I have a princess and I understand a father's love and concern for his daughter."







*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for an image of a tactical knife. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion. Again, I made last minute changes. I wish I would stop doing that. LOL

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement