FanStory.com - A tawdry Roseby zanya
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Contest Picture
A tawdry Rose by zanya
The Forgotten Rose writing prompt entry

Lady Daphne stood quietly in the stillness of the early Summer evening.

Her pale pink gown trailed along the grey courtyard. . Despite the warmth of the evening, she shivered a little.

A single rose lay close to the hem of her gown. She averted her gaze. A tiny tear trickled down her left cheek.

I dare not, she mused to herself , pick up this tawdry, forgotten rose.

Happy to have a moment alone, following the day's festivities, she chose to linger within the courtyard, away from Marlay Manor. Evening birdsong soothed her soul.

She recalled how resplendent Lady Elsie looked today on her wedding day. She saw how her young husband, Lord Edward doted on her.

Would her own prince charming soon appear on a white charger? Perhaps she should depart her native Norfolk and search for him elsewhere?

Daphne felt despondent at such a prospect. What would Mama make of it all ? And papa would be inconsolable at the departure of his only daughter, his princess.

When she queried Mama about love and matters of the heart, a wistful look came into Mama's green eyes and she mostly avoided her daughter's questions. Perhaps Papa did not dote on Mama. Was that the reason for Papa's frequent visits to their Manor, the family seat in Scotland?

Mama had begun to speak of nuptials already for her with eligible Lord Elson.
Yet Lord Elson was vain and mostly indifferent. A dandy, who revelled in his foreign travel and fine wines.

He had paid her court for almost a year now. Yet he was more engaged with the prospect of military duties and was soon leaving for France . How was their courtship to proceed if he was at the front ? After all a young lady's heart must be properly won.

How bothersome these young men are, she thought to herself.    Why couldn't they all behave  like Lady Elsie's attractive and attentive young husband, planting tender kisses on their lovers cheeks at eventide ?

Her wedding escort, Lord Dainsley, was inattentive and flippant. Frankly he was unaware of the basic etiquette for placing a kiss on a maiden's delicate cheek. He was gauche and unused to the noble art of wooing.

Preposterous, she thought to herself.

She glanced again at the pink rose at her feet.

How appropriate she thought to herself that Lord Dainsley 's rose now lay, withering, at her feet . HIs ungainly attempts at wooing were embarrassing and not those of a true gentleman.

Firstly he offered her the pink rose. Then he took her swiftly in his arms and placed a fleeting kiss on her fair maiden's cheek. How could a young lady have time to swoon with such haste ?

It was then her mind was firmly made up. In a fit of pique she had thrown the rose to the ground.

Lord Dainsley , on seeing her petulant behaviour, donned his top hat, buttoned his redingote and promptly called for his carriage.

Lady Daphne firmly resolved in that moment that she would never enter the married state, certainly not with Lord Dainsley, or any english gentleman.

And roses, she thought, how utterly common in the noble art of wooing!

What of an orchid or a lotus ? Foreign climes now called to her young woman's heart.

Young men -a-plenty would be waiting to fall at her feet!



Words 557


Writing Prompt
Write a romantic fictional story inspired by the artwork pictured. The name of the artwork is "The Forgotten Rose". It should not exceed 1500 words.

     

© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement