FanStory.com - The Stranger in the Crimson Hoodby RodG
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
May E. A. Poe NOT roll over in his grave.
The Stranger in the Crimson Hood by RodG
HOrror writing prompt entry

     At the first stroke of midnight I awoke in my chair, feeling a frigid presence. I leaned toward the hearth to stir the remaining embers of the raging fire that warmed the darkened room much earlier.

    When I turned to glance at the still chiming Grandfather’s clock, its wan face stared at me from deep within a crimson hood.

    The tall figure stood silently beside the coffin window. The deep furrows of its long cowl shivered when brushed by the currents in the air . . . as did my flesh.

   “Who or what are you?” I asked.

   It slinked toward me, yet no voice came forth.

   Feeling my limbs freeze solid, I grimaced.

   As it approached, I saw mottled blood around the numerals on its face. The sable hands, shaped like upraised daggers, twitched apart.

  “Why have you come?” I cried.

   Bong!
   
   “I am . . .”
 
    Bong!
   
   “. . . the . . .”

    Bong!

    “. . . New Year.”

   The last chime echoed.

    I gawked at the ghastly face now inches away.

    “No!” I screamed. “Not another year like the last. More death? Violence and terror?”

     It nodded.
   
   Then came bone-chilling silence.

   



Writing Prompt
Write a short flash fiction story between 100 to 200 words based on the themes specified in contest details.

Author Notes
The artwork is courtesy of Google images.

This is a pastiche of and a tribute to Edgar Allan Poe's famous short story "Masque of the Red Death."

coffin window: ala "witches window" often found in old New England homes, especially Vermont. The window, narrow and shaped like a coffin, is usually found on the gabled end of the house.

cowl: a hooded robe (or the actual hood) typically worn by monks.

WORD COUNT: APPLE PAGES 198

     

© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement