FanStory.com - Mary's Snowmanby miajaffri
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A children's Christmas story
Mary's Snowman by miajaffri
Christmas Story contest entry

Mary woke up later than usual because the sun wasn't brightly shining in her bedroom window.
At first, she thought it was sometime in the middle of the night but when she rolled over in bed, she could smell gingerbread baking in the oven. She breathed in a deep breath and delighted in the sweet scent that filled her nose. It made her think of peppermint candy canes, chocolate chips, fruity gumdrops and fresh pine needles.

She sat up in bed remembering Christmas was only two days away. She reached for her robe at the foot of her bed, tied it around her waist and put her fluffy red slippers on her feet. She ran
to the window to see if there was any snow on the ground yet.

Since this was her first Christmas living in a home where winter brought snow, Mary's only
wish was a snowman. But, it was another day where the grass was brown, not covered beneath a blanket of white. Maybe she thought. Maybe those gray clouds are snow clouds. She ran out of her room and down the hall to the kitchen where mom was taking a tray of gingerbread man cookies out of the oven.

"Will it snow today, Mama?" Mary asked.

"The weatherman said if it rains and gets cold enough, we might get some snow," Mama
answered.

Laughing, Mary said, "You mean, daddy said, "

"Well, yes, He is the weatherman," she smiled.

"I'm going to ask Daddy to make it snow because there's only two more days until
Christmas and I really do want a snowman."

"Mary, you know Daddy can't make it snow. It's the cold air and the clouds that bring
snowy days."

Mary ran to the window every fifteen minutes all day to check the sky for falling snow. By bedtime, she gave up the idea of having a snowman for Christmas. Because her stomach hurt too badly, she refused to eat any dinner.

In bed, she tossed and turned as she tried to find a comfortable spot with Maddie, her dog, nuzzled beside her. When she awoke late in the morning, Mama was calling her.
"Mary, Mary, come to the kitchen. Come see."

Mary sat up in bed, rubbed her tired eyes and didn't bother getting her robe or putting on her
slippers. She walked slowly down the cold hallway and into the warm kitchen.

"What, Mama. What do you want me to see?" she asked.

"I want you to look out the window."

Mary strolled to the window, peered out and for the first time she saw snow covering the ground, packed on her swing set and piled on the tree's bare branches. Her eyes opened wide bringing a smile to her face. Excitedly, she cried, "Do you want to help me make a snowman?"

"As soon as you get your coat, hat, boots and gloves," Mama smiled

Mary dressed as quickly as she could. She didn't want Mama to change her mind. Together they rolled clumps of snow to make two big round snowballs. Mama found dad's old black hat, Grandpa's pipe, Grandma's forgotten green wool scarf and Mary found black licorice gumdrops for his eyes, a carrot for his nose and five red cherries for his mouth.

When her snowman was dressed and standing tall, Mary stood back to admire him.
She put her hands on her hips and said, "He's a perfect snowman." Then, she sat down in the snow beside him. But, when she began to feel cold, she stood and kissed him on his cheek, waved goodbye and went inside to sit by the fire. She watched him all afternoon from the kitchen window.

That evening, Grandma and Grandpa came for Christmas Eve turkey dinner. Afterward they all sang songs until bedtime.

In the morning, Mary unwrapped her Christmas presents scattered beneath the tree feeling happy her wish came true. It was a beautiful day. The sunshine had shone hot and bright
all day. But by late afternoon, the only part of her perfect snowman still standing was one round snowball. The black hat, green scarf and Grandpa's old pipe lay in a puddle of water.

Mom and Dad both said, "We're sorry about your snowman, Mary."

But Mary wasn't sorry because her snowman came to her at Christmas and she knew he'd come again.


Author Notes
A children's Christmas story.

     

© Copyright 2024. miajaffri All rights reserved.
miajaffri has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement