FanStory.com - Chapter Sechzehn part zweiby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Is the receipt authentic?
Perennials of War
: Chapter Sechzehn part zwei by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Drew, I received a voice-mail from a Maxwell Gaines. He's the lawyer who comes highly recommended for our situation. He wants to know when we can meet."

"Set up something as soon as possible." He took a deep breath. "Shana, I'm sure you'll want to sit in on that meeting, correct? When would be a good time?"

She nodded. "Yes, sir." She put both hands out. "My calendar is completely free." She faced Emily. "I guess I should check with my social adviser."

Emily giggled.

"After breakfast, I'll see when he's free." Philip sipped his coffee.

"Try to push for later this afternoon. I expect news from Kuznetsov sometime today. I doubt he'll risk delaying it." Anderson took a bite. "Helen, I think Emily's right. These are great waffles. Did you do something different?"

Anderson and Philip stood as they heard the elevator door open. In walked Jeff and he held a large manila envelope. "Guess who this is from?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 16 part 2

Anderson grinned. "I bet it's from Kuznetsov and it's the receipt." He accepted the envelope.

"You're correct. The carrier wanted to deliver it himself, but I assured him I'd make sure you got it." Jeff poured himself a cup of coffee. "I'll bring the cup back later." He held it up for Helen to see. "I need to get back to work." He left.

Waving the envelope in the air, Anderson said, "Shana, I bet you can't wait to see it?"

"You're right." She followed the two men to the den.

Philip closed the door behind her. "Okay, let's see this."

Anderson studied it. "It says he bought the painting at an auction in Dorotheum, Austria in 1995 for a quarter of million dollars."

"I know what my next phone call will be addressing." Philip took the receipt. "I'll make a copy." After he finished, he handed it to Shana and left the room.

She studied it for a few moments. "What does this mean? How can it be? My family didn't sell the painting. I'm positive."

"To be honest, I have no idea. We'll let the lawyer lead us. I'm hoping to meet with him later this afternoon. Philip will let us know the time."

Moments later, Philip returned with this laptop. "Check this out." He pointed to the screen. "Although, Dorotheum is huge in art auctions, according to this, they never auctioned that painting." He glanced at his watch and did math on his fingers. "It's afternoon in Austria. I'll call and see if I can get more information." He left.

"Interesting." Anderson pointed toward the door. "I could use more coffee. How about you?"

"Are you as confused as I am?" Shana led the way to the dining room.

He chuckled. "Probably not. In business, this happens often. Philip will research the sources. That's his expertise." He held her chair for her.

Jane smiled. "Well, fill us in."

"Exactly what we expected. A receipt, but we're not sure of its authenticity." Anderson refilled his cup. "Philip is making some phone calls."

"At this hour? It's pretty early." Helen set down her cup.

"Not in Europe. It's mid-afternoon." Anderson sat. "What time did you say tomorrow's event begins?"

Jane frowned. "Eight, and you can't be fashionably late for your own party. I had your charcoal gray pin-striped suit cleaned. It's hanging in the closet. I'm not sure what shirt you'll want. I think the blue one would look nice. Of course, white always looks classy."

"Thank you. I'll figure it out." He searched the table and then grinned. "Think I could have a glass of that chocolate milk myself?"

"See, Daddy, it's really good." Emily smiled.

Helen stood. "Chocolate milk for all?"

"I'll pass, but it sounds really good." Shana took a bite of fruit that had been left on her plate.

"Is milk kosher?" asked Jane.

"It's one of those tricky foods. We can drink it only if it comes from Rabbi approved cows."

"Would somebody tell me what kosher means? I keep hearing that word and nobody tells me anything." Emily frowned. "What's a Rabbi? Is it a type of rabbit?"

"Shana, I think this is your area." Helen's eyes met Shana's.

Shana looked at Anderson. "Should I?" After he nodded, she continued, "Kosher or Kasbrut are laws telling Jewish people what to eat and how to prepare food. It's a way of staying connected to God by being aware of every bite we put into our mouths."

Emily turned to Anderson. "Are we Jewish?"

"No."

"Why not?"

When the buzzer on the elevator sounded, all heads turned.

"Saved by the bell." Jane laughed.

Philip brought over a wrapped package. "Wonder what this could be?" He handed the package to Shana. "It's for you."




*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to get painting back

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for images that indicate what is kosher. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion.

Sorry about last week. It's amazing how something as minor as a virus can make one feel so lousy. I'm glad they don't stick around long. It's one of the pitfalls of teaching first graders. LOL

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement