FanStory.com - The Cardinalby lauralumummu
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A poignant moment from my childhood.
The Cardinal by lauralumummu
True Story Contest contest entry
Artwork by Envision at FanArtReview.com

When I was about eight years old I was enjoying a wonderful summer at my grandmother's Lake Simcoe cottage. I had just learned to ride a bike and was so excited as I woke up early to "borrow" my sister's two-wheeler. I wanted to ride down the little hill on the county road in front of the cottage.
The sun was shining, with the promise of a great day in its warm rays. Just as I put my foot on the bike pedal to start, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a reddish brown cardinal perched on a small rock at the side of the road.
As I approached I was sure he would fly away. Instead, he seemed to be looking down at something on the road and was very still. I felt such an overwhelming sadness emanating from him that it touched me to the core. There in front of him was another beautiful red cardinal that appeared to have been run over. In that shared moment standing there, I felt his profound grief. Much later I found out that cardinals mate for life.

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. lauralumummu All rights reserved.
lauralumummu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement