FanStory.com - Out of Optionsby Mistydawn
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Katelyn's horror comes to a head.
Demons in My Head
: Out of Options by Mistydawn

Joe anxiously walks towards the interrogation room. He's been waiting for years to get a crack at Carlos and today is his lucky day. Ten years he's been trying to nail this creep, ten long years and tonight he has a chance to send him to the slammer for good. I'm going to enjoy this more than you know.

Their DA told him to offer Carlos a deal in exchange for information on Esposito. Not wanting his suspect to skate on reduced charges, the Captain has a plan, one that's guaranteed to keep Carlos from talking. He's going down for a long, long time if I have anything to do with it. Taking a deep breath Joe throws the door open.

Carlos springs back in his seat; his metal chair scrapes across the concrete floor.

That attempt on his life has him more shook up than I thought. I can use that against him. Joe strategically plans his next move.

"Going somewhere?" Joe laughs, stomping across the room. Being large in size and stature this move usually intimidates whoever is in the chair.

"You just startled me, busting in like that." He scoots his seat back to its original position.

Slamming his fist on the table, Joe glares into his suspect's eyes. He can see Carlos's fear, feel his tension rise the longer he stares. Just like I'd hoped.

The overhead light continues to flicker, adding to his high tension.

Sitting back in his chair, Carlos stretches his legs in front of him.

Your shrewd act doesn't fool me. Smiling, Joe begins. "Everything we found in your house, and this being your third strike, you're going down for a long, long time. You probably won't see these streets again until you're in your late seventies. That's if you don't die in prison."

"You're talking out your ass, Captain. My lawyer will get me off like he has before."

"Not this time," Joe says, slowly walking around him. Like a lion circling his prey waiting for the right time to strike. 

"You'd like to see me rot in prison, wouldn't you?"

Joe strolls around him again. "Damn straight, I would. Unfortunately, our DA told me to offer you a deal, one that will shave a lot of time off your sentence."

"I'm listening." Carlos smiles.

"He said if you help us get Esposito, he'll reduce your charges."

"Esposito, oh no, I ain't telling you shit about him."

"I told our DA you wouldn't do it because you're too scared of what he might do." Joe circles around him again.

"I ain't scared of that stupid Dominican," Carlos yells, springing up from his chair.

We'll just see about that. Joe lays photographs down in front of him. "He's killed three of your men and put a hit out on you."

"Esposito shot up my house?"

"One of his men did. Said he was paid serious money to take your ass out. You can get even with him by telling us what we want to know. Of course, you realize that when Esposito finds out you squealed there will be an all-out war. It'll probably end up looking something like this." Joe shows him gruesome pictures of bloody young men lying dead in the streets. Seeing the fear in his eyes, Joe continues. "I'm sure a tough guy like you can handle it, right?" Joe smacks his back. Carlos's body falls forward.

"What about your family?" Joe lays pictures of Carlos's relatives on top of the horrifying photos. "It'd be a shame for your nieces and nephews to die at such a young age before their life really begins."

Carlos picks up a picture of his beautiful niece, then his nephews. "No, I won't do it, I won't. I'd rather spend an eternity in prison than risk their precious lives," he says, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Satisfied, Joe walks to the door. Wanting to make sure his plan worked he turns back around. "This is your last chance, Carlos," Joe says.

"Go to hell, Captain." Holding the pictures against his chest, he sobs like a baby.

"That's all I wanted to hear." Smiling, Joe flings the door open.

***

After hours of brutal interrogation, the police let Katelyn go. Grabbing her backpack from alongside the dumpster, she slowly trudges down the street.

My worst nightmare came true after all. Katelyn remembers the sexual acts she had to perform on that creep. Shivering at her thought she continues down the road. "What am I going to do?" she cries, glancing at the desolate street ahead.

Pleasant memories come flooding back as she looks around. Katelyn first imagines a time when she and her friends went shopping at the mall. She pictures them laughing as they stroll arm in arm across the busy parking lot.

Katelyn then notices the cheerful ice-cream parlor alongside it. John and I spent many afternoons sharing a sugary treat. Tears stream down her cheeks as she relives her past. Katelyn has never felt so alone, so isolated in her entire life. "I don't have the strength to go on, I just don't," wearily plopping down on a bench. "Oh, why can't I get a break, why?" she sobs, glancing down the cold empty road.

Remembering the money Carlos gave her; she anxiously reaches in her bag. Relieved it's still there, she counts it out. Two hundred bucks, that'll get me a motel room for at least a week. Drying her eyes, she quickly stands up.

"Hey, pretty lady do you wanna join our party, the party in my pants that is?" Laughing, he grabs his family jewels.

Katelyn quickly spins around. She sees a white cargo van pulled to the side of the road, its side door slid open. Its dome light is shining brightly, making it easy to gaze inside. That van is a reject from the 70's she thinks, eyeing its psychedelic patterns.

Katelyn sees three slovenly looking characters residing inside. Two are sitting in back and the third is in the driver's seat. She then notices their large assortment of weaponry scattered haphazardly across their table. Rigs and other paraphernalia are lying amongst it. That's enough ammo to wipe out an entire city and with that many drugs in their system, they'd be dumb enough to do it. Frightened, she darts down the road.

"Don't be such a buzzkill," one man yells after her.

"I know you'll have fun if you join us," a second man says. Hopping out of their van, he runs to her side. Grabbing her shoulder, he turns her around. "I guarantee it'll be a night you'll never forget."

"I'm not interested," Katelyn says, walking faster.

"We're interested in you, aren't we, Bart?"

"Very interested," he says, grabbing his hardness he continues, "I haven't had a pretty girl like you in a long while."

Katelyn feels herself being pulled back as a damp cloth covers her face. She fights to break free, but the more she struggles the dizzier she becomes. She tries to scream, but her voice is too muffled for anyone to hear. She tries to come up with another way out, but her thoughts become a jumbled mess. "I'm not going, I'm not going," she screams before she passes out.

~~~

Katelyn wakes up a short time later to find herself strapped to a bed. Seeing the colorful patterns around her, she concludes that she's inside their van. Looking over, she sees her shredded clothes a few feet from her head. They raped me, she concludes, tearfully glancing around. Sharp pains shoot from between her legs into her lower abdomen. This is soon followed by warm fluid running along her inner thigh. Looking down, she sees bright red blood pooling all around her. I've got to get help before I bleed to death. She looks over to see a gentleman at the table. "Please, let me go, I promise not to tell anyone if you do," she begs, watching him pour white powder onto a mirror.

"Our party hasn't even begun," Bart says. Snorting a line, he staggers towards her. "Do you want some?" he asks, showing her a half-filled syringe, a bent needle sitting on top.

"Get that away from me," she yells, trying to sit up. Ropes pull her back onto the bed.

"It'll help ease some of your tension." He laughs.

"I don't want any," she screams.

"Cops," the driver yells.

"Go, man, go!" Bart says, quickly hiding his stuff.

"Hold on," the driver warns, giving the van more gas.

***

Stan tried everything he could think of to get Madeline to give up her dream, but nothing seemed to work. He considered using his older, violent methods but was scared what her psychotic friend might do. She successfully carried out one murder, so what's stopping her from committing another? He reasoned.

Stan soon realizes that his tactics only increases her passion, her drive to succeed. Later discovering that his house is cleaner and his meals have improved. Stan enjoys these changes, but the smell still bothers him. He decides to revamp their porch, install a ventilation system.

Madeline loves her little hideaway, with its large windows and ample floor space.

She's putting the finishing touches on a painting when her phone rings. I'll let our answering machine get it. A horrible feeling suddenly comes over her. Something's happened to one of my girls, she races for her phone. Art supplies tumble to the floor as she runs to answer it.

"Hello," she shakily blurts into the receiver.

"Mrs. Howard?"

"Yes." She sees her normally steady hands are trembling uncontrollably.

"This is Malinda from Cox Hospital. Your daughter Katelyn was in a terrible car accident a few minutes ago."

Hearing the horrifying news, Madeline collapses into a chair. "Accident, oh my God is she alright?"

"She's in critical condition. The doctors are performing emergency surgery on her now."

"I'm on my way." Madeline hears Stan walk into their house as she hangs up her phone. The nurse's words echo in Madeline's head as she rushes to the door.

"Katelyn's been in a terrible car accident. She's in critical condition," Madeline blurts out.

"I imagine it's either drug or alcohol related," Stan offhandedly states, hanging his coat in the closet.

"Don't you understand that our daughter might die?"

"This is probably all a ploy, a way to swindle us out of more money."

"I doubt that, Stan, since they're doing emergency surgery on her now."

"Yeah, well, we have a business dinner in half an hour, so get ready."

"How can you even think of such a thing when our child is fighting for her life?"

"She's not my kid, I disowned her the night she nearly killed Katie, remember?"

"That was over 10 years ago. She's served her time for that."

"I don't care. That little bitch wrecked our lives when she was younger and I'll be damned if she'll ruin my chance for a promotion too."

Madeline gasps. How can he be so cruel, so merciless towards his own flesh and blood? She then remembers all the hateful things he's said to her. Because he's a cold, heartless bastard like his father. This realization nearly knocks her over. With hate pouring from her eyes, she firmly states, "You can go to your fancy dinner if you want, Stan, I'm going to see our child." She snatches her coat out of the closet.

"No, you're having supper with me, so get ready," he orders, pushing his wife towards the stairs.

Furious, she spins back around. With her fist clenched tightly she screams, "I'm going to see my daughter, whether you like it or not." Using every bit of strength and courage she possesses, she swings. Her fist thwacks the center of his face.

He falls backward, landing inside the closet. Coats fall on top of him as his body crashes against the back wall. He starts to climb out when the top shelf collapses, smacking Stan's head. Losing his balance, he falls again.

"I chose you over her once, something I swore I'd never do again," she states, slamming the door behind her.
 

     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement