FanStory.com - Danger in Uluruby Heather Knight
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An unexpected accident
Danger in Uluru by Heather Knight
Countries of the World contest entry

Rob had lived near Uluru all his life. Even though he had never visited a big city, he was sure the Red Centre was the best place in the world.

He wasn't sure what was more beautiful, the terracota pot colour of the land, the low vegetation, the wonderful dawns or the sky at night.

Now that he was older, his mum let him go out on his own. He loved exploring new places and watching the beauty that surrounded him.

Every morning, after breakfast, he had to listen to his parents repeating the same words,

'Do be careful, Rob. You know there are lots of motorbikes around and the tourists are not always careful. We don't want you to get hurt.'

'I'm always careful. Don't worry.'

Rob thought his parents were being overprotective, but he didn't say anything. He was a very thoughtful little guy and didn't want to offend them. After all, he knew they loved him very much.

One day, while walking along a small road, he noticed a creature he had never seen before. It was like a tiny dinosaur covered in thorns.

He stopped to watch it and was so absorbed in contemplation that he didn't hear the noise of an oncoming motorbike.

When he finally realized he was in danger, it was too late to get out of the way.

He heard a loud crash and then everything went black.

Two people got off the motorbike and ran to his side.

'Oh my God! We've hit a kangaroo,' a woman with a heavy American accent said.

'Is he dead?' a man in a black jacket asked. He was talking to himself, still in shock.

'No, look, he's moving,' the woman answered.

Luckily, Rob was just bruised and very scared. He looked at the tourists, got up and hopped away.

His parents had been right after all. He promised himself to be more careful in the future. Now he had to go home and ask Mum to lick his wounds. He was in for a good telling off, he was sure.

Recognized

Author Notes
The animal Rob was looking at was a thorny devil like the one in the picture above.

     

© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement