FanStory.com - Caterpillar World 10by Bill Schott
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a short story
Worlds
: Caterpillar World 10 by Bill Schott
Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

The darkness was all he seemed to know. His life before had faded from memory.

As he struggled today though, there seemed to be some give in the opaque envelope that embraced him. A seam of light sliced through. He was able to stretch and push away the imprisoning membrane. Freedom -- at last.

Crawling out from the swaddled environment, he could finally extend his legs, stretch out his notched torso, and spread fully his delicate, but tremendous wings.

As he expanded his body fully, straddling the leafy branch, the magnificence of his form drew attention from all witnessing this rising monarch.

The envious beetle looked on, knowing his own drab existence would never change. A spider nodded to the beautiful creature, hoping one day to have a closer encounter. Lastly, the blue jay flew by and snatched the newly metamorphosed butterfly into its beak, and swallowed.

First flight would be within the blue bird's belly.

The beetle paused, pondering the price of beauty. Building his web, the spider sighed, already missing the meeting that would never occur. In a nest, in another tree, hungry fledglings awaited the meal that was emerging from mother's loving beak.

Nearby, a caterpillar inched along the ground, mindless of the drama above. Its only care was to fulfill its destiny, by reaching a high branch and weaving the blanket of promise.

Recognized

Author Notes
Thanks to helvi2 for use of the image

     

© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement