FanStory.com - Chapter Vierzehn part zweiby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Breakfast conversation.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Vierzehn part zwei by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Anderson watched Helen and shook his head. "White milk is fine." Emily pouted as he continued, "That's why I want to hire an attorney who specializes in these types of situations."

"I can't afford a specialized attorney or any for that matter." Shana's eyes met his.

"I understand, but I can, so let me help. Philip will take care of contacting one and then we'll go from there."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 14 part 2

Helen placed a glass of chocolate milk in front of Emily. "Sorry it took so long. The caterer called and had some questions about Friday's dinner."

Anderson's eyebrows rose. "What's special about Friday? Why do we need a caterer?"

"I guess you forgot you're hosting a dinner party."

"Is that this week? I thought it was toward the end of next month." Anderson frowned. "Is there any way to cancel it?"

"No, we've already sent out invitations, and they've been accepted," Jane answered. "You've already come to the end of the polite time-frame for hosting dinner parties."

"Are you saying if I never attend dinner parties, then I'll never have to host one?" Anderson's eyes widened. "So that's the secret I've been missing."

"You're hopeless when it comes to these things. I know your momma and I know she raised you better than that." Jane shook her head. "Helen and I took care of everything. All you need to do is attend."

"And pay for them," interjected Philip. "How many people are coming?"

"Seven couples, but you know they always bring an extra friend or two to meet Drew. I've made arrangements for almost thirty people; just in case. I'd rather have too much than not enough."

"Mommy had parties but I don't think they were called dinner parties," interrupted Emily. "Can I attend?" She smiled and tilted her head. "Can I have a new dress for it?"

"Emily, you'll make an appearance during dinner and, yes, I've already bought you a dress. It should be delivered tomorrow afternoon. You can try it on then." Jane took a drink of orange juice. "Shana, I took the liberty of ordering you a dress too. It'll arrive Thursday. I hope you like it."

"I'm sure it'll be beautiful, but just because I'm staying here doesn't mean I have to be included in private functions." Shana studied her plate before she continued, "I'm not part of your crowd." She looked at Anderson.

Anderson set down his fork. "I don't belong to any crowd. Because of the nature of work, I'm forced." He hesitated. "Yes, forced is the correct word, to attend functions that I find boring or, to be honest, absolutely ridiculous. I don't like playing these pompous games." He buttered a biscuit. "That being said, I'd like you to attend. My hope is you'll have dinner with us." He glanced at Helen. "What am I serving?"

"Do you want the entire menu or the short version?" asked Helen.

Anderson glared at her.

"The short version is I've hired a caterer who'll provide a six course meal. The main course is lobster and prime rib."

"Will there be dessert?" Emily's eyes widened. "I like chocolate cake." She tilted her head. "Cupcakes are especially good."

"I chose a banana split bombe. I think it'll be perfect and fun since it's summer." Helen bit her lower lip.

"Is it ice cream?" asked Emily.

"I think it'll have ice cream, right?" Shana glanced toward Helen.

She nodded, "Yes," and noticed Anderson finished his coffee. "Would you like more?"

"Thank you." He moved his cup closer to Helen. "I'll finish this and then I need to go into the office for a few hours. Philip, can you continue with the things we discussed?" He took a drink. "It seems everything's on hold. This waiting is getting old fast. I want to move forward."

Philip looked at his ringing cell. "Maybe this will help. It's CPS." He went into another room to take the call.

"What's CPS?" asked Emily.

"It's a grown-up organization that children don't need to worry about." Anderson gulped his coffee and stood.

Shana and Jane's eyes widened. Jane asked, "Are you sure that's all?"

Anderson nodded as he left the room.

*****
When Philip hung up, he frowned. "It seems CPS has made four home visits and has an open case against Patricia."

Anderson stood beside Philip. "When were they going to contact me? I'll pay them a visit on my way home. Be sure to let Isaiah know."








*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you Google Images for a photograph of a banana split bombe. I ended up making banana pudding because of this post. LOL I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion.

Again, I made corrections as I posted. I hope it's correct now.



     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement