FanStory.com - Look deeper, see me.by Possummagic
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A child's inner struggle with Autism.
Look deeper, see me. by Possummagic
    Through the eyes of a child Contest Winner 

What do you see when you look at me Mommy? Can you see further than my blonde hair and big blue eyes? Can you see the little boy trapped deep inside?

I know that my shouting hurts your head Mommy. You don't always understand what I want, when I flap my hands, run around and make loud noises. But you have Daddy to talk to and I'm so alone.

When I can't sleep for most of the night, Mommy, I know the whole family is awake too, and that you are all exhausted. Do you ever wonder if I am tired too?

You send me to "program" Mommy, to give you respite from my noises, my strange movements and my wet nappies. Do you ever think, that I would like a break from this too?

Look into my eyes, Mommy, I know it is difficult because my eyes look everywhere but at you. But what do you see? A word, a diagnosis, or a little boy trapped inside, alone and afraid?

I know I have Autism, Mommy. You and Daddy often talk about it, with the doctors at the big hospital. They say that I will never speak, but how do they know, Mommy? I have words and sounds locked away. I practice them every day, but to you they are just noises.

Mommy, I know that you're tired. I know you're sad and I know you're frustrated. But please, remember that I'm just a little boy, Mommy, trapped inside a lonely, empty world and one day....

I'd like to come out to play with you.



Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.
Through the eyes of a child
Contest Winner

Recognized

Author Notes
I have a cousin who lives an exhausting, and sometimes rewarding life, with two boys who both have Autism of varying degrees. This is what their life is like every day.

Image courtesy of incuzy.com

     

© Copyright 2024. Possummagic All rights reserved.
Possummagic has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement