FanStory.com - Tommy, oh Tommyby Mustang Patty
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...brief encounter with a star
Grammy's Memoirs 2018
: Tommy, oh Tommy by Mustang Patty
    True Story Contest Winner 

Back in 1985, I had one of those moments that will forever be etched in my mind. 
 
I was working at Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego, California.  I was only twenty-six; my husband was out at sea, and had been for about four months.  My baby girl was almost five months old, and I was in the best shape of my life.
 
Every day at lunch time, I walked the length of the docks.  It was one way to look out to sea and imagine my husband's ship, and remember the day I stood there and waved up at him on the railing.  We were past the half way mark, and I eagerly counted the days to his homecoming.
 
June weather in San Diego is especially lovely, and the breeze blowing from the water was pleasant, as was the sun's rays on my skin.  Sunglasses in place, I enjoyed the sights of the day.
 
The office at work was all abuzz with the news filming for one of Tom Cruise's movies taking place on the base.  It seemed the new movie, 'Top Gun,' had Tom playing a naval aviator.  The aircraft carrier in dock, The Ranger, was going to be used, as well as some filming at a neighboring base, Miramar.
 
As always, I got to do some sight-seeing while I took my walk.  Sailors in uniform always brought a smile to my face.  I may have been married, but I wasn't blind.  It was especially good to see the pilots in their flight suits.  Their aviator glasses reflected the sun, and they were always smiling.  The glint from their teeth told me they enjoyed their jobs and I envied them their time in the sky.
 
On this special day, a group of aviators were approaching me.  Swinging their helmets, and chattering away, I was drawn to the sight of one of them.  He wasn't as tall as the rest, but his smile was whiter, and his gait was a bit different.  I wasn't sure what it was about him, until I recognized the face.
 
It was the same face that beguiled me in 'Risky Business,' and 'All the Right Moves.'  It was him!!

Every fiber of my being was drawn to his smile.  Without thought, I was on the run.
 
Reaching the group, with my eyes locked on his, I could see through the lenses of his aviators.  His smile was just for me.  I grabbed his hand, and kissed it.
 
Embarrassment overcame me, and I turned and ran back to my office.  For the rest of the day, my cheeks burned with color, but I still felt his skin on my lips. 

 
True Story
Contest Winner

Recognized

Author Notes
picture from IMdB

Though this is an embarrassing memory, it is one of my favorite stories. I often wonder if he remembers the crazy girl who kissed his hand back on North Island all those years ago - or is it just something that happens so often, he can't remember them all?

     

© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement