FanStory.com - Chapter Elf part dreiby barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana attempts to answer Philip's question.
Perennials of War
: Chapter Elf part drei by barbara.wilkey

Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Basically anybody the Nazis didn't like or understand," added Philip. "It probably included Jehovah's Witness, Roman Catholics, or anybody who exhibited any socially deviant behavior."

"Correct," Shana continued, "the inmates worked twelve hour days at hard physical work, wore rags, never had enough to eat, and the risk of corporal punishment was imminent. Those who couldn't keep up were murdered. There was a name given to these people, Muselmanner, or living dead because of their appearance. They resembled round-shouldered skeletons." Tears rolled down her cheeks. "I'm sorry. I can't go on." She left the room.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 11 part 3

"That trip to Germany would've been hard for a teenager." Jeff leaned as far back as his chair allowed. "It wasn't your typical sweet-sixteen vacation to Europe."

"No, it wasn't." Jane stood. "I need to check on Emily. She glanced at her watch. "It's her story time and then I'll put her to bed."

"I think that trip left a lifelong impression on Shana. She's had a sheltered life and is very sensitive." Philip stretched his neck to glance toward Shana's room. "I wonder if somebody should check on her."

"Probably." Helen's gaze followed Philip's. "Jane's the closest to her. If she doesn't finish with Emily soon, I'll go."

Philip, Jeff, and Helen sat in the den and stared silently at each other.

Jeff stood. "I can't take it anymore. I'm checking on her. She just might decide to leave again." He hurried toward the East wing.

Helen rushed after him. "You can't invade her room like you did when you were a Navy Seal. Drew assured her dad no males would go near that room."

"It's different. I'm not attacking her. I'm making sure she's all right."

Philip came up behind them. "Helen's right. Drew wouldn't be happy knowing one of us went to Shana's room while he was gone."

Jeff shoved his hands into his pockets. "Okay! All I'm doing is protecting her. I'm head of security." He paused. "Helen, go. Don't wait on Jane. We need to make sure there's nothing wrong."

Going back into the den, Helen grabbed the two books Benjamin had left for his daughter. "I'll use these as an excuse."

"It won't look quite so obvious." Philip followed behind.

Jeff walked beside him. "It still looks like we're checking on her."

Helen knocked on Shana's door. "Dear, you forgot the books your dad left."

Shana opened the door, took the books, and tossed them onto a chair. "Thank you."

"Is there anything I can get you?" Helen glanced around the room. "Maybe a drink?"

"No, but thank you."

"Would you like me to sit with you?"

Shana glanced around Helen. "I see you two hiding behind Helen."

"We were worried about you." Jeff stepped forward.

With her elbows bent and her hands spread out. "As you can see, I'm fine."

"It's been my experience when a female says she's fine, she's anything but fine." Jeff scanned the room.

"I have to agree with Jeff on this one." Philip eyed the bed's wrinkled quilt and scattered pillows. "By looking at this scene I'd say you were lying on the bed crying."

"Guilty as charged." Shana studied the floor. "Philip, I guess I never really answered your question."

"What question?"

"Come in and have a seat." Shana walked away from the door and sat on the edge of the bed.

Philip and Jeff stood still and waited for Helen.

"Go on in. The lady invited you, and I'm chaperoning." Helen entered.

The two men followed but remained close to the door, and Jeff made sure it was left open.

"You asked," Shana started talking.

"What are you doing in Shana's room?" interrupted Jane.

"I invited them. I don't see the problem." Shana patted the edge of the bed. "I was just answering Philip's question."

"What question?" asked Jane.

"We've been trying to figure that out," answered Philip.

"I'll talk to you two later." Jane shook her finger at the two men. "Please go on, dear."

"Earlier this evening, Philip asked why this painting was so important to me when it wasn't to my father."

Philip nodded. "I did."

"I have a roundabout answer, but it's the only answer I have. My ancestors went through so much to make sure I had freedom and not have to live under tyranny. The very least I can do to repay them is to recover what was stolen." Shana wiped away tears in her eyes.


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident


Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah -- Shana's cousin, the same age. Married within the past year and just had a baby

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you GaliaG for the lovely artwork. I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it.

I'm on vacation and in a hotel that has Internet so I will post. I usually post on a PC and now I'm using a laptop. It and I don't get along as well. I hope it works. I'm not sure when I can get to the reviews. My mom doesn't have Internet, and we'll be there tomorrow until Friday.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement