FanStory.com - Guilty until Proven Innocentby Mistydawn
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Larry and Julia are arrested for a crime they didn't commit
Travesty of Justice
: Guilty until Proven Innocent by Mistydawn

Background
Julia is accused of crimes she didn't commit. Larry has to win Vinnie's case if he wants to keep his family alive.

Larry

"What is it, Larry?" Julia asks again.

"Lilly and Jen are dead," I cry, sliding to the floor.

"Oh Larry, I'm so sorry," she says, sitting down beside me. Putting my head against her chest, I start bawling like a baby.

"I did everything they asked me, everything," I cry.

"I know you did."

"Marty killed them anyhow, he killed them. It's all my fault, my fault," I blubber. Hearing my enemy's voice in the distance, I start looking around. Seeing Marty standing by the bathrooms, I run over to him.

"Why did you do this, huh, why?" I ask, shaking my phone in his face.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Larry." Marty smiles smugly.

"You killed my family you bastard," I yell, punching him in the face. I follow this up with a left jab and then a swift right. I continue swinging as I'm being pulled away.

"Get this psycho off of me," Marty says. Grabbing a hanky from his pocket, he holds it up to his nose.

"There's a lot more where that came from, you snide son of a bitch," I yell, trying to free myself from the officer's grip. I'd just broken loose when a second cop runs over to help him.

"Let go of me," I scream, thrashing my body around. I feel myself falling to the floor.

"You're under arrest for assault and resisting arrest," the officer states, cuffing my arms behind my back.

"I'll call your firm, tell them what's going on," Julia says.

"You have the right to remain silent," the officer begins.

"Yeah, yeah, I know my rights," I spat.

"Well, you're going to hear them again. Anything you say can and will be used against you..."

The crowd cheers as the officers push me down the hall.

"Tell the DA hi for me, Larry."

"This isn't over, Marty," I yell, spinning back around.

"You better be careful what you say, Bud, because it can be used against you in the court of law." Marty laughs.

"Screw you."

"I can't believe all of the profanity coming out of your mouth. What would your poor old mama say about that?" he asks, shaking his head.

"You leave her out of this, you hear me? Leave her out of it," I yell.

"Let's go," the officer says, dragging me down the hall.

"I'll be sure to visit your mama while you're away. At least then she'll know someone still cares."

"Don't you dare, Marty."

"You don't want me to say a few words to your dying mama, how sad is that?"

"Go to hell."

"There's that profanity again, shame, shame, shame."

"That's enough," the officer impatiently states, shoving me in the elevator.

***

Rachel

I'm reviewing Julia's case at my desk when Kirk runs over to me.

"We just got a disturbing call from the New York State Police."

"What do they want with us?"

"They said two of our residents were found stabbed to death in their car off of Interstate 875."

"Who is it, Kirk?"

"Their names are Jenifer and Lilly Wilson, they're Larry's wife and daughter."

"Have they notified him of their deaths?"

"They want us to do it when we arrest him?"

"Arrest him for what?"

"Murder, they believe he drove upstate and killed his wife and daughter."

"Do they have proof that he killed them?"

"They have camera surveillance of his car coming into and leaving the city. They also have a witness that claims he saw the whole thing. You don't think Julia has anything to do with their deaths do you?"

"There's only one way to find out."

Hearing a commotion at the front of the building we race across the room.

"I'm being blackmailed, I tell you, blackmailed," Larry yells.

"Save it for the judge," the officer says, pushing him through the door.

"What's going on, Officer?" I ask.

"I arrested Larry at the courthouse for assault and battery. He's now claiming he's being blackmailed by the one he assaulted."

"I have proof," Larry yells, tearfully glancing towards me.

"Where do you want him?"

"Take him to room one. I'll be there in a minute after I see what the NYPD wants us to do with him."

"Here's the number they gave me," Kirk says, handing me a piece of paper.

Picking up the phone, I quickly dial a number. "This is Rachel Bower with the Berryville PD. I wanted to inform you that we have your suspect in custody. We'll hold him until you get here. Help transport, you need to talk to my Captain about that, let me transfer you."

I see Allen hoovering over me when I glance up from my desk. "Do you need something?"

"I want you to send one of your officers out to arrest Larry Wilson."

"Funny you should mention his name."

"Why, what's going on?"

"I was just about to call and tell you we've just arrested Mr. Wilson."

"On what charge?"

"Assault and murder."

"Murder?"

"The New York State Police believes he killed his wife and daughter."

"Do they want to extradite?"

"We're making arrangements now. What did you want to arrest him for?"

"Jury tampering, I had a lady come into my office claiming that he bribed her into swaying the juror's votes."

"He's in interrogation room one if you'd like to speak to him."

"I want you to be there when I do."

"Let's go," I say, pushing away from my desk.

I see Jerry talking to the suspect when we walk into the room.

"Sarg, Sir," he says, standing up.

"Larry, I'm Allen from the DA's office."

"Yeah, I know who you are."

"I want to ask you a few questions regarding Vinnie's case."

"What about it?"

"Did you talk to any of the jurors during the course of the trial?"

"Of course not."

"Did you send someone to talk to them for you?"

"No, may I ask what this is in regards to?"

"I have a woman who claims she received a note from you stating that all of her money problems will be taken care of if she persuades the jury to find your client not guilty."

"I didn't do that, I swear I didn't!"

"You won't mind if we take a sample of your handwriting, will you?"

"Get me a pen and paper and we'll take care of the matter right now."

"I've already taken a sample from your office."

"Test all you want, you'll see I didn't write the damn note."

"Well, someone did and whoever tried to pull this stunt ended up causing you a mistrial."

"Mistrial, no that can't happen. It just can't," he says, jumping up from his seat.

"Please sit back down."

"You don't understand! My wife and daughter are dead and the rest of my family's lives are in danger because of this mistrial."

"What do you mean their lives are in danger?"

"Marty threatened to kill my family if I didn't win the case! Oh my God, what have I done, what have I done?" he cries, plopping down in his seat. Hearing the door open, we turn around.

"Sarg, I think you need to see this."

"What is it, Kirk?" I ask, stepping into the hall. He shows me a pair of bloody shoes bagged in plastic. I peek my head back in the room.

"Allen, I think you need to see this."

"I'll be right back," he says, walking out the door.

"We found these and bloody clothes at Larry's house. Forensics found a tracking app called Insta-Mapper on his phone. After making a few calls I discovered, that it's connected to a phone the NYPD found in the glove compartment of his wife's car. Evidently, he put the app on a phone, and then wired it to the glove box light so the battery will stay charged."

"You're sure he planted it there?"

"We found the receipt for the cell in his desk drawer."

"Are the officers still at the house?" I ask.

"I think so, why?"

"Have them bring Julia in for questioning."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"There you are," Sharon says, walking around the corner. Sharon's been our medical examiner for nearly thirty years. She also oversees forensics.

"Do you have something for us?"

"Yes, the handwriting on the note doesn't match the samples."

"You're sure?" Allen questions.

"Positive."

"You said he was originally arrested for assault, right?" Allen asks.

"Yes, he beat a man up at the courthouse."

"Let's hold him on that charge until we find out what NYPD wants to do."

***

Julia

I start getting an uneasy feeling as I pull up to the house. Locking the car door, I start looking around. Everything seems to be the way we left it, but I still have this unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach, like there's something wrong.

Unlocking the front door, I quickly step inside. I first notice papers scattered across the floor, the furniture is on its side. Panic starts building inside me as I continue to look around.

What if the intruder is still here, I think, running out the door. I'm halfway down the steps when I notice the officer pulling in the drive.

"Oh, officer I'm so glad you're here," I say, running towards him.

"Hold it right there," he says, pulling the gun out of his holster.

"But officer you..."

"Hands up where I can see them."

"You don't understand, officer, our house has been burglarized," I say, raising my hands above my head.

"Turn around, face the car."

"I don't understand."

"Do it, now!"

"Yes, Sir," I say, turning towards the vehicle. Running up behind me, the officer grabs my wrists and handcuffs them behind my back.

"You don't have any weapons, do you?"

"Of course not."

"What's sticking out of the bottom of your pants?" the second officer questions.

"It's my ankle monitor," I say, extending my leg.

"What's this?" an officer asks, pulling an envelope out of the vehicle.

"I don't know."

"You don't know what this is?"

"No."

Pulling the pictures out of the package, the officer starts looking through them. Getting to the bottom of the stack, he hands them to his partner.

"Are you going to do something about my house being burglarized?"

"We'll deal with that later; right now I need to take you down to the station."

"Why?"

"Because of these," he says, showing me the pictures.

"That's Larry's wife and daughter," I exclaim.

"Pretty gruesome, wouldn't you say? Oh here's one you're really going to like."

Seeing a picture of their mutilated bodies, I quickly turn away.

"Can't stand to look at your own handy work?" the officer questions.

"I didn't do it, I swear I didn't."

"We'll just see about that," he says, escorting me to his cruiser.

"I'll see what forensics can do with the bloody handprint," the second officer says, pointing inside the vehicle.


     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement