FanStory.com - Last Manby Thesis
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A different approach
Last Man by Thesis
Last Man On Earth writing prompt entry

The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door.

The man stared ahead, not responding to the intrusion of his tranquility. A second knock occurred. Still he did not react.

Then there was silence, allowing him to return to his catatonic state.

When the door exploded inward, his attention was peaked. "How dare you violate my space!"

"Human, you are the last of your species to survive. Do not make me terminate you. I have been sent to collect you for our Historical Research Division."

"What is your name?"

"Name, I don't have a name, I am Research Unit 699."

"Well, Research Unit 699, my name is John Sinclair. I am an author and a United States citizen. You have illegally entered my home and I have every right to protect myself from you. In fact, I could terminate you and be allowed to do it legally."

"Unit, John Sinclair, I think you should seriously reconsider your intent. I am capable of eliminating your presence from the universe in .03 seconds. Shall I proceed?"

"That would be a mistake, Unit 699."

"How so, Unit John Sinclair?"

"Because, You are .01 second from being disabled."

"That is not poss....."

"Security 350, nice job."

"Thank you Mr. Sinclair. Unit 699 is immobilized. However, there are six replacement units for it heading toward our location in 7.4 seconds. Do I have clearance to engage?"

"Affirmative."

"Thank you, sir. I will eliminate the current threats."

Automatic fire was dispatched, along with grenade launches to eliminate the threat.

"Mr. Sinclair, there is another wave of immediate threats directed toward our location. Sir, I do not have adequate resources to handle the incoming attack. I suggest you evacuate the premises. I will eliminate 75% of the threat, but you will need to get into the Survival vehicle now. It will provide safe passage to Sector 4. I will provide Sector 4 with information on how to attack this threat."

"Thank you 350."

"You are most welcome, Mr. John. This will be the last time we speak. I will be destroyed by this new threat, but I will buy you time to escape. Please be careful, my human friend."

"I will 350. And, thank you for saving me."

"It is my ultimate goal, Mr. John. Now, you must go immediately. The attackers are approaching. I programmed the Audi transport to take you. Get to the garage immediately. I will create diversions for you to escape. One other note: You will be reunited with a female once you leave this place. She will be someone from your past that you thought was deceased. It will be your beautiful wife, Melinda."

"But how is that possible?"

"The ancestors have allowed me certain discretions. I hope you will not think badly of my service to you, but scanning your mind, I realized that your comatose state was caused by your loss of her presence, so I was able to revitalize her to be your companion for your remaining days. I hope I have not read your mind incorrectly. Please forgive me, Mr. John, if I have."

"350, you have read my mind marvelously. Losing my Melinda was the single most devastating thing that has ever happened to me. I've been comatose because she left my life. There was no reason to live without her. If you've done what you said, I will be eternally indebted to you.
Whatever you require, I will provide. Thank you, my friend."

"I don't understand, Mr. John. I am unable to have friends."

"Yes you are. You have become mine, for the rest of time, 350. I have never had anyone help me as much as you have, wanting nothing in return. You are a true friend. I hope you can process that."

"It will require some time, but now I must return to surveillance and attack mode. Mr. John, please be careful and trust the Audi transport unit. It will deliver you to a safe place, where you will be reunited with your lovely Melinda. Goodspeed, Mr. John. Thank you for considering me a friend."

"Thank you, 350."

"Goodbye, Mr. John."

"Good luck 350."

The Audi transport arrived.

"John Sinclair, I have been dispatched by Security Unit 350 to transport you to Sector 4. There is a female human unit waiting there for you. If you hurry, we can be there before the new moon."

"Take me to her as quickly as possible. This place is no longer my home without her."

"John Sinclair, look at the monitor, you have an incoming message."

"Hello, my darling. I can't fathom how this is possible, but I am alive. When I awakened this morning, there was a note on my pillow from someone named Security Unit 350. The note said our reunion was made possible because of your friendship with him. He wrote that he could sense your grief and he wanted to reunite you with the one person you always talked about and said you only loved."

"Melinda, I can't wait to hold you in my arms. I will be forever grateful to 350. He brought you back to me. I don't ever want to be lonely again."


Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts like this: The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door.

     

© Copyright 2024. Thesis All rights reserved.
Thesis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement