FanStory.com - The Endby Heather Knight
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
... is near?
The End by Heather Knight
Sunday, Monday, Doomsday... writing prompt entry

You must know I'm a clairvoyant. I can sense things that others would never notice.

That's how I knew that the end was near. All the signs were there and evident for me to see. And that's why I started putting all my affairs in order.

I told my husband, Josh, and my daughter, Lou, but they just exchanged glances and looked the other way.

'You can't ignore this,' I said.

'Will you calm down, dear? Nothing is going to happen. You are just getting yourself worked up.'

'I'm not. Look at the way those stars are aligned.'

'Yeah, so?' Lou asked.

'Many years ago, a wise man said that when such a sight could be seen in the sky, it would mean the end of the world was imminent.'

'Mum, you have to stop reading those weird books and start reading chick lit.'

I said goodnight and left the garden where we had been sitting. I went upstairs to my room and changed into my nightgown.

Before going to bed, I looked out of the window and saw Josh and Lou talking and laughing. I felt a pang of jealousy. They were always happier when I wasn't with them. I guess you could say I was too intense.

The next morning I woke up with a sensation of dread in the pit of my stomach. I tried to act as if nothing was the matter, but I knew I would never see another morning.

After showering and getting dressed, I went down to the kitchen and sat down at the table. Josh was making pancakes like every Sunday.

'Morning! How are you?'

'Worried. You?'

'Peachy. No work and a whole sunny day ahead of me.'

'Why do you keep on ignoring me? We should do something meaningful as this is going to be our last day together.'

'Come on! You don't have to keep on saying that. I'm sure you don't even believe it yourself.'

'What do you mean? Of course I do.'

I stared at my hands in frustration and left the kitchen without eating breakfast.

I wondered what I could do and in the end decided to go to church to ask the Lord for forgiveness.

When I got to Saint George's, I pushed the door open and walked inside. There was nobody there, probably because it was still too early.

The church smelled of incense and damp stone. It was cold and I shivered.

I sat on the first pew and closed my eyes.

'My daughter, I'm glad you have come. Today is the day. You need to prepare yourself. Take off your clothes and get into the baptismal font to purify your soul.'

At first, I was taken aback by God's words, but I knew I had to obey.

I took off my dress and my underwear. I was about to jump into the font when I heard a voice behind me.

'What in God's name are you doing?'

It was Father Murphy, our parish priest.

'Cover your eyes and let me do my duty. The end is near and I have to get ready.'

I saw him turn around and walk towards the door. He locked it and then disappeared into the vestry.

I jumped into the font. The water was cold and smelled sweet.

Even though there was nobody else in the church, I heard him talk and I guessed he was on the phone.

A few minutes later, Josh arrived.

'Let me help you out, dear,' he said.

He dried me with a huge towel and led me towards the pew.

Just then, two men came up to us. They were paramedics, I noticed.

'She's bipolar and I'm afraid she's not been taking her meds,' Josh told them.

They led me to an ambulance outside. Josh followed us. He looked sad and worried.

'Has this ever happened before?' one of the paramedics asked.

'A couple of times.'

They told me to lie on the stretcher and just then the sun disappeared as if it was night and the ground shook violently.

'What the hell is going on?' Josh asked the men. His face was pale and he was trembling.

 


Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story up to 700 words that involves a doomsday scenario. Anything goes, but the end of the world, or its perception, must be a driving force in your story.

Author Notes

     

© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement