FanStory.com - Searching for Helpby Mistydawn
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sarah has two choices; kill or be killed like her family.
Twist of Fate
: Searching for Help by Mistydawn


The late-afternoon sun blazes through the shattered windshield. Sarah's body is trembling across the steering wheel as she continues to sob. The man in blue taps on the window again. There’s no sense in running. She lifts her weakened body from the wheel and slowly turns around. Sarah wipes her face with the back of her hand as she reaches for the handle with the other. Her entire body quivers as she watches the glass slide down.

“I didn’t mean to do it, I really didn’t, but he left me no choice,” she blubbers through her sobs.

 "I don’t know what you’re blabbering about, lady. I don’t care to know either. This is a loading zone, and no one is allowed to park here." He points to the rusty sign.

“What?” Sarah anxiously dries her face again.

“You’re in a loading dock lady. So, either move your ass or I’ll have you towed.”


"Oh, of course. I…I’ll leave right now." Embarrassed by her emotional meltdown, she wipes the tears from her cheek.

"Sometime today would be nice," the man growls as he impatiently taps his foot on the ground.

Sara glares at the beastly sized man. “Don't get your panties in such a twist.” The man grumbles under his breath as Sarah starts her car.

Not seeing a cop in the near vicinity, she pulls onto the street. I have to do something with this car now the cops know what I drive, but what? Her thoughts travel a mile a minute as she tries to come up with a plan. John's younger brother suddenly comes to mind. I know exactly what I'll do. Smiling, she makes a quick left turn onto Van Brunt Street. I do hope Jimmy is willing to help.


Sara first notices the abandoned buildings on either side of her. Ankle-high trash lines the edge of the road. Sarah then finds a collection of stripped cars parked in an abandoned lot.  She pulls up to the last shop in the area as she continues to look around. It’s sad to see the south side in such a state. She recalls how the subdivision was so lively back in the day. It was a small city all on its own.

Seeing his sister-in-law climb out of the car, Jimmy walks over to greet her. "What a nice surprise.” He notices a distraught look on her face when she glances up. "What's wrong, honey?”


"Oh Jimmy," she cries as she collapses in his arms.

"There, there sweetheart it'll be alright," he says as he gently strokes her hair. He's had a thing for her long before she and John dated but despite his best efforts, she chose the fancy attorney over the lowly grease monkey.

"I'm in a lot of trouble, Jimmy and I need your help." She sobs in his arms.

"What kind of trouble are you talking about?" he asks, knowing how dramatic she can be. Jimmy feels her body tremble against him. He wraps his arms around her and holds her tight. This is the way it should’ve been, he thinks.


“A gang is after me and I don’t know what to do.”

 Jimmy pushes her an arms-length away. 
“Someone is after you?”

“Yes, yes. It was awful, Jimmy, just awful. I shot a man in self-defense and now his friends are trying to shoot me.”

"Someone took a shot at you?" Jimmy gasps.

“Look.” She shows him the hole in the back glass. “The bullet barely missed my head.” She shivers from the thought.

“Where did this happen and when?”

“It happened yesterday evening but I’m not exactly sure where. I’d gotten lost and was trying to find my way home.” Sarah lies.

"Do you think this has to do with Katelyn and John's death?”


"The goon I shot said as much.” Noticing the perplexed look on his face she quickly explains. “See Katelyn owed a drug dealer a lot of money, so they sent a thug to collect …”

“Wait, did you just say you shot a man?”

“I had to Jimmy, I just had to. It was either that or die.”

“What?”

“He threatened to kill me when I refused to pay.”

"Do the police know about this?"

“I can’t go to the cops.”

“Why not?”

“I shot a man, Jimmy. I… I took a life.” She bawls. She recalls the man in her house and then the dead victims on the street.
"Oh, Jimmy, what have I done? What have I done?" She cries harder. 

“You said it was in self-defense.”


“It was, but the cops may not see it that way. You've gotta help me, Jimmy you just gotta.”

Jimmy scratches his head trying to process what he’s been told. Sarah continues to sob beside him. “What do you want me to do?”

Sarah sniffles. She takes a tissue from her pocket and blows her nose. “Since the gang knows what kind of car I drive, I either need to get a different vehicle or paint this one."

Jimmy glances at the car again. He didn’t want to get in the middle of this, but he doesn’t want Sarah killed either.


"So, are you willing to help me, Jimmy?”

"Let me talk to the owner and see what he can do."

"I thought you owned this place?"

"I got into a bind and had to sell. The owner still lets me work here, so I figure it isn't a complete loss."

"That's nice of him, I guess." Getting a harrowing feeling, she anxiously glances around.


The two hear tires squeal. They glance up to find a black car speeding down the road; a gun pointed towards them.

"Duck," Jimmy screams as he pushes her behind a dumpster. Bullets ping off the metal container as the two huddles in the corner.

"You weren't lying about them being after you," he exclaims.

“Will you help me, now?” 


***

The hot afternoon sun reflects off the steamy pavement. This makes the day seem more sultry than what it actually is. Mia continues to sprint down the sidewalk attempting to make her grand escape. The police presence seems to thicken the further she gets down the road. Her entire body trembles; her stomach squeezes into a large, hard knot as she tries to blend in with the crowd.

If I keep walking normal, they probably won't notice me. She tries to reassure herself. She pulls the brim of her hat down further and then adjusts the sunglasses on her face.


Mia sees two cops headed towards her. She glances back and discovers two more a few feet behind. I need to find a place to hide before they sandwich me in. She discovers a clothing store on her right. I could lay low in there for a while.

The small bell on the door rings when she dashes inside. Mia jumps from the sudden noise. Realizing she’s being watched, she glances at the employee and smiles.

"Can I help you?" the lady barks, annoyed by the intrusion.

"Don't let me interrupt your show. I'm sure it's more important than making a sell." The clerk mumbles something as she returns to portable TV. Realizing the cops are about to pass her, Mia ducks behind a rack of clothes.


"Can I help you find something?" A second sales lady asks. She jumps again. “I didn’t mean to startle you, honey.”

Mia finds a short, rounded woman beside her. She’s wearing a white floral dress that hangs well past her knees; a light pink, cotton sweater over top. Her thick gray hair is pulled tightly into a bun and fastened at the nape of her neck. Her makeup consisted of a dab of red lipstick and a touch of rouge. Mia quickly discovers what the lady lacks in makeup she makes up for in perfume. She coughs as she takes a step back. Guess I had too much coffee today.” She chuckles then coughs again.

“Are you looking for something in particular?”

"No, I'm just browsing, but thanks for asking.”

The lady points to the rack behind them. "All our clothes on this side are half off."

"I'll keep that in mind, thank you." Mia discovers an officer in front of the store when she looks towards the window again. She quickly pulls a few items down. “Do you have a fitting room?"


"Yes, but...."

"I see it. I think I'll try these on too." She grabs a few more pieces and then heads towards the fitting room. Mia hears the doorbell chime when she's halfway across the floor. She turns to find two cops’ stepping through the front door.  






 

     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement