FanStory.com - Fatal Beginning by Mistydawn
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sarah has two choices; kill or be killed like her family.
Twist of Fate
: Fatal Beginning by Mistydawn

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
I return home from the cemetery physically and mentally drained, having lost everything that meant anything to me the day the goon pulled his trigger.

"Oh Lord, please take me too," I sob. As an agonizing pain continues to lurk deep inside my being. It was like a cold, empty darkness has seized my inner soul. This harrowing sensation seems to worsen the closer I get to our house. "Why them, Lord, why? Why did you take my family away? Why did you take them away?" I cry as I robotically open the door.

I hear my family's laughter the moment I step inside. I find my husband watching TV on the couch and my daughter kicked back in her chair. For a few fleeting moments, I forget the horrid events leading up to this sorrowful day. "John, Katelyn?" I blubber as I run towards them. They smile and then their images slowly fade away. Reality suddenly hits me. I'll never have those joyful times again. I scan the room in hopes I'll see them one last time but discover their precious memories scattered through the house instead.

"I can't do this, I just can't," I bawl. Overwhelmed with emotions, I run through the door; a ghastly man shoves me back inside. My exhausted body stumbles across the floor, landing against the stairway.

The man's filthy clothes cover a small portion of his large, tattooed body. His dark greasy hair falls well past his shoulders. The five o'clock shadow hides a few of the numerous scars spread across his pale, sunken face.

"Wha.. what do you want?" I question as I scoot backward up the stairs.

Running over, he shoves his gun against my head. "Your husband, John, didn't make good on Katelyn's debt, so it's up to you to pay," he snarls,
his breath a disgusting combination of tobacco and liquor. The stench is so appalling that it makes me gag. He cocks his gun and then pushes it deeper into my skull. "You have two choices, either pay up, or you die." 

I realize I have three options: I  can pay what my daughter owes, not pay and end up with my family, or I can fight like hell. Raising my head, I stare into his cold, soulless eyes. Through gritted teeth, I say, "You killed my family, so, now you're going to pay." I lift up my leg and whack him as hard as I can in the balls. My stilettos slip through a hole in the worn fabric, he doubles over in pain. I draw back my leg and kick him again. He tumbles backward, crashing against the entrance stairs.

The gun flies out of his hand as his body bounces across the marble floor. I race for the weapon; he grabs a hold of my leg as I run by. I try to pull free but I lose my balance, plummeting face-first to the ground. I kick him with my other heel. His head flies back; thumping against the steps.
I reach for the gun but find I'm still too far away. I scoot forward and try again. My fingertips graze the tip of the cold hard barrel. I start to move closer when I feel the goon's hand squeeze my calf. I draw up my leg and I kick him again. His head falls back; blood spurts from his nose. I bring up both feet and kick him as hard as I can. His muscular body crumbles to the floor.  Scooping up the gun, I turn back around.

"No one messes with my family, no one," I scream. Something deep inside of me snaps the second I pull the trigger. It was like a cold evil being that had been lurking inside me finally escaped.

I pull the trigger one last time and then head towards the door.

"I'll take care of every last one of you junkies." Happy to have a new purpose, I climb into my car.

***

The sun is shining brightly overhead making the beautiful day unseasonably warm. Mia watches the crowd say their final farewells to her twin sister, Katelyn. She didn't feel strong enough to face their questions, the rejection that'll undoubtedly follow; so she decides to watch from afar.

Mia thinks back to the last time she and Katelyn skyped as she gazes across the lawn. "I'd be happy if they'd answer just one of my questions," Mia says into the computer screen.

"What, sis?" Katelyn questions.

"Why did John and Sarah put me up for adoption but decided to keep you?" Mia glances down at her small frail body and sighs.

"I'm sure they have their reasons."

"I think I already know. Guess Sarah and John didn't think I was worth the extra effort." Unlike her sister, Mia's feeble health required a lot of care. A strict diet, special equipment, numerous trips to specialists. It was more than what most parents were able to give. If only they could see me now, she thinks. She has a 4.0 average at one of the most prestigious schools in the country and she was promised a job when she graduates in May. All of my success doesn't make up for what John and Sarah did, discarding me at the fire station like I was a piece of trash.

"Don't talk like that, Mia."

"You'd feel the same way if they chose me over you." Sniffling, she wipes the tears from her face. "Do you know how it makes me feel to find out that my own parents don't love me, that I wasn't good enough for them? Do you, well, do you?" 

"Do you want to know what I see when I look at you, Mia?"

"A big hot mess?" She sniffles.

"No, no, I see a brilliant young woman who's going to make something of herself someday. And as far as I'm concerned, your adoption was our loss, not yours. That's why I think you should meet them, prove to them that they were wrong."

"I'd love to, really I would, but I don't think I'm ready to meet them just yet." She recalls the kids making fun of her in school. Shivering, Mia pushes the thought aside.

"You have to introduce yourself someday, especially if you want your questions answered."

"I will when the time is right."

She thinks back to the chain of events that had taken place just moments ago. I wish Katelyn would've pushed me to confront them. Who am I kidding? I wouldn't have told them who I was, even if we did have a chance to meet. No, I'd hide like a coward the way I did today. 
Mia sees that Sarah is about to leave. It's now or never, she thinks. She starts to walk towards Sarah; her hands start shaking, her legs feel weak. I have to do this. Mia starts to introduce herself; she loses her courage and quickly steps away.

I wonder what it'd feel like to be wrapped in her arms, she dreamily thinks as she glances towards the dwindling crowd. Mia imagines feeling the warmth, the love as Sarah draws her in closer. If only it could be.

"Where's my money, Katelyn?" A deep voice asks.

Startled, Mia gasps. She feels his hot breath against the nape of her neck as a sharp, pointy object digs into the center of her back.

As though anticipating her scream, the intruder warns, "Make a scene and I'll slice you where you stand."

Mia brings her right fist over her left shoulder, making contact with his nose. The weapon lodges deeper into her skin as his head plunges back. She pulls a gun from her pocket as she spins around. His long, sharp blade slashes across her back as she turns. Mia feels a hot, sticky liquid trickle down her back; she pushes the sensation from her mind.

"My sister is dead because of you," Mia pulls the trigger. The thug's body thuds to the ground. She stands frozen in place as a bright red liquid covers the tip of her shoes.

"She's got a gun," one of the men yells. His outburst brings her back to reality. The attendants scream as they run for the safety of their cars. 

Mia hears sirens in the distance. She turns to find red and blues barreling down the road. I have to get out of here, she thinks. Shoving the gun in her pocket, she darts the opposite way.
 

Recognized

     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement