FanStory.com - Replacing Gwenby Thesis
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A writer seeks new Editorial Assistant
Replacing Gwen by Thesis
Writing writing prompt entry

"Good morning Gwen. Have you changed your mind about leaving? Please say you have."

"You know my heart wants to stay working with you forever, John, but I have the opportunity of a lifetime, that I can't pass up. Don't be sad, it's because of you that I met Peter, and fell hopelessly in love."

"Gwen, you've worked with me for eight years. I know I'm being selfish. How will I ever replace you? You've edited my last twelve books, kept me on schedule, and run my entire calendar, actually, my life. I am going to miss you terribly."

"Don't get emotional on me, John. I'm going to miss you too. But, I'll always remember all the wonderful things you've done for me; like paying for my Master's Degree in Creative Writing, taking me with you to all the erotic writer's conferences around the world, introducing me to the Miami night life, and always protecting me. You've been more like family to me than my own, and I will always be grateful to you for that."

"I know you are, Gwen. I'm just sad, because I can't even think of coming into work without you here, that's all."

"John, you're being silly. We work out of this magnificent beach front place you call home. How could you not want to be here? I'll make you a promise."

"What kind of promise?"

"That I won't leave until I've found my replacement. You have to trust me and give me full authority to interview and hire someone that I know will be a good match for you, your personality, crazy work schedule, global travel habits, and of course your love of life and romance. Do we have a deal?"

"You know I trust your judgement implicitly, Gwen. You have a Deal."

"Okay, so I'm going to take your latest draft and start editing out on the deck. I already called the agency to send me some candidates to interview this afternoon around one o'clock. I don't want you here when they arrive. I would rather vet them before I select the final three for you to speak with. Before you go, I would really appreciate it if you would make me a very strong Bombay Sapphire Martini. Hopefully, it will cool me down from this steamy new book you're writing."

"A woman after my own heart, in fact, I'm going to make you a small pitcher of them. You'll need it by page twenty. Things start to get very hot around there. I may need some synonyms for some of what's happening in that first chapter. I don't want it to sound cheap and sleazy, but do want to raise the heat level substantially."

"You're heating it up in the first Chapter?"

"Of course, Gwen, I want readers to be glued to this book at the beach this summer. Let me give you a quick synopsis. The book is about a writer who has a beach house in a very affluent town at the New Jersey shore. He is flanked on both sides by trophy wives living at the shore while their husbands work in New York and come to the shore for the weekend. He takes a liking to one of the women, who it turns out has been ignored by her husband for years, and he eventually comes out of the closet. The writer, decides to comfort the woman, and..."

"I get it. It gets wild, right?"

"It's much more complex than just wild, but, I'll leave you to read the rest and make your comments to me later. Let me make your drink and enjoy the read. Oh, I forgot to tell you, my publisher wants to have drinks and dinner this evening around nine at La Mar. Would you please be my date? If not Trish is going to try to get me to go back to her room, and I just can't get involved with her that way."

"Actually, I wanted to finish this book tonight. We have a meeting with her tomorrow afternoon to go over advertising."

"Gwen, please? I'll sweeten the deal. I know you're not going to go to dinner dressed in that hot little bikini you're wearing, so take my AMEX card and go buy an outfit for tonight and get yourself a pair of Lo Bouton heels, something really sexy. I want Trish to think I have something much more exciting in store tonight, than her. I want you to look like a character from one of my books tonight."

"You're such a bad man, John. That's probably why I love you so much. Now, get me a Martini and let me get some work done before I interview my replacement."

John made the Martini's, served Gwen's in a frozen glass, and left. Halfway through the book, Gwen had finished the pitcher of Martini's and was a little buzzed. Not realizing the time, she heard the doorbell ring. She walked to the door and opened it, not realizing that she was standing there in a string bikini that did little to cover her voluptuous body.

"Oh, I'm sorry; I must have the wrong address. I was supposed to meet Gwen here about an editorial assistant position."

"I'm sorry; I lost track of time, please come in."

"Are you Gwen?"

"Yes. You must be Sandra?"

"Yes. Is this a bad time for you, I could come back later if you want."

"No, Sandra. That won't be necessary. Come on in. We'll talk out on the deck."

"Okay."

"First, let me explain something about this job. The man you will work for writes Erotic Fiction. He is like no other boss you will ever work for. He is gently, kind, extremely protective, and one of the most generous people I have ever met in my life. As far as the work goes, it is grueling. He is a prolific writer with a hectic travel schedule. You will accompany him at all times, stay at the finest hotels, go to the trendiest clubs, dine at the most magnificent restaurants, and be his confidant. The only thing he asks for in return is your loyalty and trust."

"Who is he?"

"How much erotic reading do you do?"

"Not enough, really."

"Can you have a conversation with your boss about what you like sexually and why? How it makes you feel? Can you describe your desires and fetishes?"

"I've never done that."

"Can you? He will ask you those types of questions and expects your honest answers. That allows him to write passionately, knowing women actually feel those feelings during various escapades and fantasies. How they enjoy to be touched and how it feels to them. I've already done my homework on your writing and editing skills. I need to know if you can help him understand desire from a woman's standpoint."

"I really wasn't prepared for these types of questions, Gwen, but, from what you're asking, it sounds like this is an extremely intense, personal position. Do you mind if I ask a question?"

"Go right ahead."

"Does he expect me to have sex with him?"

"No, Sandra. He's very respectful of women. He writes erotic fiction in a way that tries to express women's feelings, never to exploit them or demean them. He actually portrays all his female characters as powerful women in control of their destiny, and can have and enjoy their dalliances with the men they choose to be with. It's one of the reasons I came to work for him actually."

"So, why are you here in a bikini interviewing me? I mean it is kind of strange that you work for an erotic writer and you're sitting on the deck practically naked at work."

"I'm just very comfortable working in this environment. I usually do most of my work out on the deck, working on my tan. John doesn't care. He writes on the beach and is usually here only a part of the day. This is the best job I've ever had. Anything you want is here. Every couple of days, a service comes in and restocks the refrigerator and bar, so you don't have to leave to get lunch, or if you have to work late, you pick up the phone and order from any of the restaurants. We have an account with all of them, so they just bill monthly. All your travel is first class and paid for on his AMEX card, so you have no expenses at all."

"It sounds too good to be true, Gwen."

"It is an unbelievable job, actually, one of a kind. I'd like you to take this manuscript out to the deck and read some of his work. Come back in when you've finished with Chapter 1, and we can discuss how you feel about his writing style. It will determine if the job would be a fit for you."

"Gwen, you've never told me who he is."

"John Sinclair."

"No way, are you serious?"

"Yes."

"I read one of his books. It was really hot."

"This one is too. Let me know what you think. Here's a pad, write down your comments and we'll talk when you finish. In the meantime, I have to make a few calls."

Sandra went to the deck, manuscript in hand and surveyed the view of the beach. Selecting a lounge chair in the sun, she kicked off her yellow heels, and sat down to read. She heard Gwen on the phone and half listened to the conversation, while becoming extremely engrossed in the book.

"Madeline, hi it's Gwen from John Sinclair's office. I have a favor to ask. Can you have someone bring over that yellow cocktail dress I was looking at yesterday in a size 4, and those really cute Lo Bouton yellow peep toe pumps that match it in size 6? Thank you so much. I'm not able to leave the office and I have a function to attend tonight. I really appreciate it. You can either bill the office or I'll give whoever delivers it, John's AMEX card. Thank you so much."

Twenty minutes later the doorbell rang, and a young sales girl came in carrying the dress and shoes.

"Hi Gwen, remember me from yesterday, I'm Natalie. I'm so glad you decided to buy this dress. It looks awesome with your tan. Madeline said to bring these things right over. She told me to make sure everything fits alright before I leave, since you're wearing it tonight."

"She's so sweet."

"She asked if you were going somewhere with John tonight."

"Actually, I am."

"Okay, in that case she said I should give you this present from her."

"Present?"

"She said she's a big fan of John's books and remembers a character in his fourth book named Sonia, who wore the same outfit. So she wanted to make sure you wore these too."

"Wore what?"

"These sheer black nylon stockings with this cute garter belt. It's really sexy, and will make the whole outfit pop."

"How absolutely naughty and I love it. I have to call to thank her."

"Go try everything on. I want to see how good you look."

As Gwen went to a bedroom to change Sandra walked in from the deck, fanning herself with the manuscript.

"Hi, I'm Sandra."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Natalie. I just brought over a dress for Gwen for tonight. I can't wait to see how it looks on her."

Gwen emerged from the bedroom wearing the dress, heels and stockings.

"See Gwen, I told you those stockings would make that dress look even better, and with those heels, I'm sure you'll get lots of attention tonight. Perhaps even be in a chapter in another of John's books."

"Everything feels so good. I love how the dress clings to my body and how sexy the stockings make me feel. Tell Madeline she was right about the stockings."

"I will. I better get back to work. Have a great time tonight."

"Thanks Natalie."

"So, Sandra, what do you think of Chapter 1?"

"It's one of the steamiest things I've ever read. I couldn't stop reading it. It's so well done, and I can see what you mean about John making this all about the woman's choice. It has a great story line, romance, sex, and a natural flow. I could get used to reading his work."

"Good. I think you should meet him in person. He'll be here in about an hour to get ready. We have drinks scheduled with one of his friends and then drinks and dinner to attend with his publisher. I know its short notice, but if you can, I'd like you to come along and meet those people. It will give you a better understanding of the circle he travels in."

"I'm not dressed properly for an evening out, and with you in that fabulous dress, I'll look like an out of place librarian."

"I will explain that I invited you on short notice. Besides, you're outfit is stunning and you will definitely command the stared from all the males in the room with that body and those red stilettos.

"I'm intrigued. Okay, I'll come."

"Good, let me take this dress off before I wrinkle it, and then we can go back outside and talk."

As Gwen changed, John arrived.

"Hello, I'm John, and you are?"

"Sandra. I'm interviewing for Gwen's job. It's so nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine, Sandra. Where is Gwen?"

"She's in the bedroom, changing."

"I see you're reading my new manuscript. Why don't we go out to the deck and you can tell me a little about yourself. Do you enjoy Martini's, Sandra?"

"Yes."

"Good, let me make us a pitcher and the three of us can talk. It will only take me a minute. Why don't you go out and make yourself comfortable. We'll be out in a minute."

"Okay, that sounds great."

Gwen emerged from the bedroom in her bikini.

"Hi John, I heard you speaking to Sandra."

"Yes, she seems very nice. What do you think of her?"

"I like her. In fact, I've invited her to join us tonight for cocktails. Is that okay with you?"

"You remind me so much of myself. Having grown up going to Catholic Schools and dealing with the Jesuits all my life, I've found it always better to ask for forgiveness, than permission. At least that way you're guaranteed to get what you need done, and pay for the transgression later. But in your case, my dear you always know I support whatever decision you make."

"I'm going to miss you, John."

"Nonsense, I am but a mere phone call or plane ride away. I believe in you Gwen, and will always be there for you, no matter what. You know that. But before you go, I will hold you to your promise, so let's find out more about Sandra, shall we? And by the way, I like your idea about bringing Sandra to meet Trish. I can't wait to see the look on her face when I arrive with two beautiful young women with me. I know it's cruel, but at least I'll enjoy my evening. It could also be a scene to develop for a new book."


Writing Prompt
Write a story or essay with the topic of "writing". Can be instructional or a character in the story can be a writer. Creative approaches welcomed.

Author Notes
John Sinclair is a fictional author I have been writing about for years. He's very suave, and enjoys the finer things in life.

     

© Copyright 2024. Thesis All rights reserved.
Thesis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement