FanStory.com - Change of Fateby Mistydawn
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jeff has to commit hideous crimes to keep his family safe.
Debt Collector
: Change of Fate by Mistydawn

Gazing out the large picture window, Jeff Donaldson soon finds that the bright sunny morning has transformed into a soggy afternoon. The way the rain is hammering on the windowsill, he figures this won't change any time soon. Especially not in time for the baseball game he has planned for tonight.  

He's watching the steam rise off the hot pavement when someone knocks on his office door.  Thinking it's his boss, he quickly straightens his tie. I bet he's come to congratulate me for my successful ad campaign. His ideas brought in substantial revenue for them and their client. Pleased with himself, Jeff smiles as he turns around. "What brings..." he begins. Seeing a stranger in the doorway, he stops in mid-sentence.

Jeff first notices the man's long curly hair and his dark close-set eyes. He then realizes his guest's expensive suit fits him a little snug, especially around the middle. His pants hit him mid-calf showing off his thick hairy legs. White socks, brown pants and black shoes, he's not the sharpest dresser in the world, Jeff concludes. "Can I help you?"

"How you been, Jeffy baby?" the stranger asks, tromping into the room.

"Do I know you?" Jeff asks, trying to recall the face.

"Try and remember back to your college days." He looks vaguely familiar, but Jeff can't seem to place him. "Let me give you a hint, school loan."

Jeff thinks back, but nothing comes to mind. "I'm sorry, but that doesn't ring a bell."

"You borrowed a large sum of money from a loan shark by the name of Bruno Bambini. You said you needed it to buy a house for you and your bride, Julie."

The memory suddenly hit him. "I paid the debt off," Jeff exclaims. Jumping up, he closes his office door. He doesn't want everyone to hear his business, especially when it pertains to shady characters like Bambini and his goon Luigi Ricci.

"Not according to his records, you didn't."

Jeff runs to his bar and pours himself a scotch. Guzzling the stout liquor, he pours another; Luigi grabs hold of his arm. "Do you want one?" His hand starts shaking as he moves his glass towards the goon.

The guy smacks his cup away. The tumbler flies across the room, shattering against the wall. I can only imagine what Luigi could do to me, Jeff thinks, anxiously glancing at the brawny beast. "I'm not here on a social visit, I'm here to talk business. According to Bambini's records, you owe over ninety thousand."

"I only borrowed thirty thou," he nervously replies.

"The rest is interest."

"Three hundred percent?"

"That's the term you agreed to." Holding up a signed document, he points to Jeff's signature at the bottom. "I think he should charge you more for all we had to go through to find you, but he's the boss and what he says goes."

"I don't have ninety thousand lying around, not with a wife and two kids to support."

"I saw your beautiful girls playing in the yard last weekend. Fortunately for them, they look like her and not you."

"You leave my family alone." Feeling unsteady on his feet, Jeff plops down on his couch. His thoughts start running a mile a minute as his stomach rumbles with fury.

"Pay up and we will, don't and well, you know..." He runs his finger across his neck. Jeff's face turns a powdery white. "I'd say you get the gist." Luigi chuckles. "Oh, by the way, your mom sends her love. She baked a tin of cookies, but I got hungry on the way back. Oregon is a distance you know."

"What did you do to my mom?"

"Nothing yet." He chuckles.

Luigi's eerie laugh makes him shiver. He paces back and forth, trying to figure out what to do. I can go to the police, tell them he's blackmailing me, but I'll need some sort of proof. Would a recorded conversation be enough?

Luigi grabs his arm as he walks by. "It would be in everyone's best interest if you paid up."

"I don't have that kind of money and I can't get a hold of the enormous sum either."

"Boss said you might be strapped for cash, told me to offer you a deal. He said, if you do a few side jobs for him, he'll call your debt good. If you refuse, you can say goodbye to everyone you hold dear."

Horrible thoughts run through Jeff's mind as he paces back and forth. He first thinks about his beautiful wife and daughters killed in the woods; his parents slaughtered while they sleep. He then pictures his poor aunt and uncle being shot on their farm. He didn't like the idea of helping Mr. Bambini with his shady business, but he doesn't want his family to die either. We'll run off somewhere but to where? How long will it be until they find us? I'll record our conversation and then go to the police with the tape. He'll kill my family if I get caught. What if I refinance our house? That won't be enough to satisfy the debt. I could ask my friends for a loan, but how will I pay it all back? A thought suddenly occurs to him, he spins around.

"I'll pay a thousand each week until it's paid in full." Jeff wasn't sure how he'll come up with such a large sum but figures it's worth a shot.

"You either pay all of it or work for him, your choice."  

Realizing he's exhausted all possibilities, Jeff solemnly asks. "What's my first job?"

***

Julie pulls up to their lovely two-story home on the outskirts of town. She and Jeff moved in right before their oldest daughter, Rebecca, was born. Like most of the houses in the neighborhood, it was a refurbished Victorian; The record of deed claims it's one of the first homes built in the city. Julie fell in love the moment she saw it. With its large wraparound porch decorated with elegant Victorian styled trim and its large circular tower that sits just off to the side. It's a dream come true, she sighs admiring its charm.

"I had it first," eight-year old Rebecca argues from the back seat.

"No, I had it first," four-year-old Abby protests, pulling a book out of her sister's hands.

"Mom, tell her to give it back," Rebecca whines.

"I had it first, so there." Abby sticks out her tongue.

"You can't even read."

"I like the pictures."

"Mom."

"I bet we can find a book, with more pictures in your room," Julie says as she opens the sliding van door. 

"It'll be a lot better than this one." Abby throws the book at her sister; it smacks Rebecca in the head. Rebecca's eyes tear up. "That's what you get." Abby laughs.

"She hit me."

"Apologize to your sister, Abby."

"Sorry," she sasses, hopping out of the van.

"You better be, you little brat." 

"Be nice."

Rebecca glares at her sister. "Well, she is."

"Am not."

"Are too," Rebecca says, chasing after her. Seeing her sister charge towards her, Abby screams.

"That's enough out of both of you."

"She started it, Mommy."

"And I'm finishing it. One more word and you'll be spending the rest of the night in your room."

"Yeah, Becca."

"I'm talking to you too, Abby." Julie scolds. Rebecca sticks out her tongue.

"Someone left us a letter, Mommy," Scooping it off the lawn, Abby tears it open.

"It's a picture of us in our yard."

Rebecca snatches it out of her sister's hands. "That's what we wore last Saturday."

"Let me see." She grabs it from her daughter's hand. "You're right, it is." Julie sees the front door is partially open when she glances toward their house.

"Get in the van now, girls," she orders, quickly scanning the yard.

"But mom."

"I said go." Picking up the discarded envelope, Julie rushes to the van.

"What's happening, Mom?"

"I'm not sure." Securing the doors, Julie takes her phone from her purse and dials her husband's office. His secretary answers on the second ring. "I'd like to speak to Jeff, please."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Donaldson just stepped out. Would you care to leave a message?"

"Yes, tell him to call his wife's cell as soon as he can."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Julie, I didn't recognize your voice. Are you alright?"

"No, I'm not, so please, have him call me as soon as he can." Tossing her phone aside, she speeds out of the drive.

"Where are we going, mommy?"

"Somewhere safe." I hope.

***


     

© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement