FanStory.com - Dear Mathewby Dawn Munro
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a true story told in the form of a 'pretend' letter...
Dear Mathew by Dawn Munro
Christmas Story contest entry

I used to breed Golden Retriever dogs. A friend's poem reminded me of the story, and I guess it's one I haven't been able to tell until now.
A little boy's Christmas wish came true that year so long ago. His courageous mom made sure I knew by the following Christmas, when little Mathew had passed away. This is the pretend letter I wrote to help me with my grief over a little boy I never met.

Dear Mathew,

Christmas was always my favorite time of year. I know a lot of people complain that it's too commercial, too hectic, that families argue, relatives visit that aren't welcome, but I loved it. I still do, some sixty years later. But one Christmas was especially sad--a year I couldn't get into the spirit at all. It wasn't your mom who came to see me that year, Mathew, it was the foundation that wanted to bring you joy. I've never forgotten it, and I weep as I write this, little man. You had a wish, a desire so strong Santa would have been the Grinch if he hadn't fulfilled it for you.

Yes, I read your letter. The jolly man sent it to the Make A Wish Foundation, knowing they were the kind of people who would see to it you got your wish, no matter what. Your mom had contacted them too, because your family couldn't afford a purebred Golden Retriever puppy.

I didn't let them know how sad it made me, but I picked a puppy I knew you would love and take good care of, even though you were sick. It was a good puppy, Mathew, but then you know that, don't you? It slept on your bed with you, followed you everywhere, and when you couldn't get out of bed anymore, your mom and dad had to coax it to leave your side just to eat, and go outdoors to do its business.

I thought that Christmas my heart would break, but it was nothing compared to the one that followed. Your mom sent me pictures of you and your puppy, and a lovely letter. It was the first time I learned what had robbed a little boy of the many years he should have had with his Golden Retriever.

But Mathew, you should know that your mother was comforted by your dog, just as you had been. She said in the letter that it made your dad cry--the only thing that could, and she was so grateful for it because she had been so worried about him. He cried often, she said, his arms around that Golden Retriever's neck.

They are fine now, and they still miss you, but they know, all of them, that they will see you again in Heaven.

You're a good boy, and I just want you to know how much I appreciate you looking after one of my dog's puppies so well. Jessie was a special dog too, and I hope you are together up there. Look after her for me, please, and tell her I can't wait to see her.

I love you.
Signed,
The breeder of Buddy

Recognized

Author Notes
I think of this family as Advent approaches, and pray for comfort for all those suffering. It was many years ago now, but I will never forget the privilege. I was honoured to be approached by the Make A Wish Foundation.

 

© Copyright 2024. Dawn Munro All rights reserved.
Dawn Munro has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement