FanStory.com - My Favorite Timesby country ranch writer
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
At Grampas Place
My Favorite Times by country ranch writer
Sense of Place Short Story writing prompt entry
Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Just down from Grandpas cabin was a stand of tall trees. I took the well-worn mulched path down to my shady spot. It was sort of like a river run I could hear the water as I approached.
I continued on down and found an outcropping of huge boulders. I was delighted at discovering it was still here. Time was like it stood still over the years.

I sat down on the boulder and dipped my hand into the crystal cold springs. I withdrew my hand and just sat there remembering the good times I had up here at Grandpas. Hunting, fishing, trapping, taking care of wild animals of all kinds foxes, to birds, wild rabbits.

It was nothing to see wild animals milling about the place. They all seemed to know Grandpa was their friend. I used to tease him about being an animal whisper. He'd just laugh and say Oh!shucks.

I had signed my name on the boulder years ago and also wrote that I would return one day. That was back in 1964.The water seemed to sing a tune as it bubbled around the rocks slithering down the five-foot rocky outcropping reaching its destination into the lake.

A slight breeze blew the colorful leave hither and yon all over the place. Oh! it was so good to be back home. A squirrel was sitting on the limb close to the tree in hopes no one would spot him. Also, a red-headed woodpecker was making himself known searching for bugs as he pecked the bark away.

Soft rustling made me turn my head around in time to see three deer coming down to get water and something to eat. I sat there watching them until they were on their way again. They were so beautiful standing there grazing on the sweet grass in the sunlight.

I forgot how much I had missed the mountains and the cabin. I jumped over the rocks to the flat side of the outcropping of rocks. I managed not to fall in as clumsy as I am heading to the open pasture. There were some donkeys and young colts showing off in the sunlight. The larger horses were milling about between the trees. Every once in a while, you'd see one help himself to Grandpas apples.

There is nothing like mountain life to make you appreciate what you have in the big city. If you love nature, the mountains, and forests, its the place to come and enjoy and relax.The Blue Ridge Montains is pertty thid time of year.


Writing Prompt
Write a 400 to 700 word essay describing a place. This should be a descriptive short story, make sure you describe the place very well. This place you are describing can not be a place in your imagination, dreams, ext. It has to be a real place, preferably a place you know very well. You do not have to have been to this place, and this can be a made up story. Be creative and descriptive!

     

© Copyright 2024. country ranch writer All rights reserved.
country ranch writer has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement