FanStory.com - The Doorby jusylee72
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I opened the door
The Door by jusylee72
Witness contest entry

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of language.
"You say you opened the door."

"Yes."

"At three o'clock in the morning? Why would you do that?"

"I didn't realize it was so late."

"Why not? Don't you have a clock?"

"Yes, but I usually go to sleep about ten. I have a cold so I took NyQuil and went to sleep early."

"So you were under the influence."

"What do you mean? Under the influence? I took some cold medicine."

"Cold medicine? Are you sure it wasn't something else?"

"Yes, I'm sure. I took NyQuil about 7:30."

"Did you have any alcohol with it?"

"No. I didn't take anything else. What the heck are you talking about?"

"Now don't get defensive, I'm just trying to get the facts."

"The facts are simple. I took NyQuil around 7:30 p.m. I heard a knock on my door. I assumed it was early. I didn't look at a clock. I looked out the window. I thought it was a friend of mine that I play golf with. I had no idea it was 3 O'clock in the morning."

"And you opened the door willingly?"

"Yes, I looked out the window by my door. I didn't have my glasses on. I thought it was a friend of mine."

"Are your friends in the habit of showing up at three in the morning?"

"No."

"Come on, you knew the guy."

"No, but I thought I did."

"What happened next."

"As soon as I opened up the door, I realized I didn't know him."

"But you still talked to him."

"I was confused."

"Confused about what?"

"He started talking as soon as I opened the door. He was making a reference to the house across the street. He said something about how he helped them move earlier today."

"What did you do next?"

"I began to feel uneasy. I put my hand on the door knob and said something like, "Look, I really don't feel comfortable with this. I have to go."

"You've got to be kidding me. You were polite to this guy?"

"Yes, I just thought he was weird. I didn't think he was there to hurt me."

"Yet, you claim he raped you?"

"What do you mean claim? Look at me. We are in a hospital. The nurses have already seen every part of me. They gave me a rape test. They had to get samples. I have bruises on my arms. My face is swollen. I did what was right. I called the police. I came to the hospital."

"But you aren't crying and you don't seem emotionally upset."

"I haven't let myself."

"So you have control over your emotions?"

"No, I didn't say that."

"Come on, you knew the guy. You opened your door. You had sex. It got a little rougher than you wanted. So now you're trying to get back at the guy."

"No, I never knew the guy. I thought I knew him when I opened the door."

"You don't need to raise your voice."

"What? I don't need to raise my voice. I have been raped. I am hurt. I am bruised and your acting like I made it all up."

"Just trying to get the facts, Missy."

"Missy? My name is April. April Decker. I am an educated woman. I am 26 years old. I don't look for sex from strangers. I simply opened the door at the wrong time. That is all I am guilty of - I opened a fucking door."

"Oh, now your cussing at me. What happened to that emotional control?"

"Nurse, can you get him out of here?"

"Oh, so now I'm making you uncomfortable. You are getting angry. I see tears in your eyes now. You've been caught in a lie and you don't know what to say anymore."

"GET OUT! Nurse, stop him. Get the doctor. Is my Mom here yet? Please, I can't take this anymore."

"Sir, will you step outside, please? The patient is really upset. I need to get the doctor."

"Sure, sure. I have enough information for now anyway. Let me know when you're ready to tell the truth."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Detectives report. No real evidence. No suspect. Not a top priority. Alleged victim opened the door. 

 

Author Notes
This actually happened to me many years ago. I opened my door to a stranger at three in the morning. The good part is that after about 3 minutes I did shut the door and call the police. He did not get in my house. I had a cold, I took NyQuil. I thought it was earlier. When I realized it was a stranger, I told him to please leave. When I started to shut the door he grabbed the screen door and started to push his way in. I am not sure how but I did get the door closed and locked. I checked to see if all the doors were locked, I lived alone. I saw the clock in the kitchen and was shocked to see it was 3 in the morning. When the police came, they played good cop, bad cop. One was nice, the other asked me the kind of questions in this story. I felt humiliated. They never even mentioned that two weeks earlier another woman two blocks away was raped in our neighborhood. They never found the rapist. The next day I remembered something. I had gone jogging earlier that day. The people across the street were moving. I saw a group of men laughing and pointing in my direction. Evidently he watched me the rest of the day. He got paid in beer by the people he helped. I believe after he got drunk at that house, he ended up at my door. The police never followed up with me. Sad to say, but the only witness to a rape is the victim. I am so grateful that I got that door closed.

     

© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement