FanStory.com - Surprise Meetingby prettybluebirds
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
No strangers In My Yard
Surprise Meeting by prettybluebirds
Beautiful Creatures writing prompt entry

In the early morning hours we often see deer in our yard or down by the pond behind our house. They are beautiful animals and so much fun to observe as the young fawns romp and play; much the way any kids do. They butt heads, chase each other around in circles, and splash in the water; it is highly entertaining.

The other morning I stood watching two deer at the end of our driveway. I thought they were acting in a rather strange manner but didn't know why. Obviously, the two animals spotted something and didn't know what to make of it. Their tails were half raised as if ready to flee while they stared intently at something in the road. I went to another window so I could see what intrigued the deer so much.

There, in the middle of the road, sat one of my cats, Blackie. He lay quietly, staring back at the two deer with the disdain only a cat can show. The younger deer put its head down and took several mincing steps toward the cat; Blackie never moved. The deer would get close then jump back before repeating the performance. Blackie yawned to express his contempt for the silly creature.

Finally, the deer got close enough to stretch his neck out and touch the object in the road. Blackie, who loves a good joke, leaped into the air and let out a blood-curdling yowl. Those poor deer ran for their life with Blackie in hot pursuit. He chased them a short distance then sat down to contemplate his own magnificence. Such foolish creatures did not belong in his yard even if they are beautiful.


Writing Prompt
Write a short essay about an animal - maximum 300 words. It can be a beloved pet or a wild animal you admire. The photo you include should be of the animal, or type of animal, you are describing.

Recognized

Author Notes
I think deer are some of the most beautiful and graceful animals in the wild. We see them every day here on the farm. It is amazing to realize how playful and intelligent they are. Deer are terribly shy and scare easily, though. Hand count-293 words.

     

© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement