FanStory.com - Mary's Reflectionby Brett Matthew West
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A woman's despair while looking into a mirror
Mary's Reflection by Brett Matthew West
The Do Over contest entry
Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

How Mary despised the reflection she witnessed every time she looked in the mirror! She could feel her heart breaking in two. Big droplets trickled down her cheeks. They looked like the dried out skin of a shriveled up prune.

Her eyes no longer sparkled. Once they were brilliant sapphires. Now they were just sad. And her flaming locks of auburn hair turned into a silver wig.

That was the only way to hide her baldness. Another detriment caused by the chemotherapy Mary needed to fight the insidious monster ravaging her body. But Mary was growing tired of the constant battle she knew she could not win.

Mary's family never visited her. They were caught up in the day-to-day of their hectic lives. As well as scratching out a meager existence. It seemed they simply could not be bothered with the lonely old lady who lost her beloved Rodney twelve years ago.

Special fond memories filled Mary's waning mind of her late husband. Dashing and daring, she remembered the day he rode into her world. Like a knight all decked out in shining armor aboard a white stallion. Rodney swept Mary off her feet with the charm and grace she never saw in anyone else. Now Mary sits alone in her little room in the hospital knowing it won't be much longer before she will be with him forever.

Once vibrant and vivacious, Mary lived life exuberantly. She loved to dance. Especially waltzes. Throughout her illustrious career Mary brought the stage to life and left audiences screaming out for more! Now there was only silence. Stone cold, deafening silence all around her. The cheers dissipated like the fleeting wind.

Every day Mary waited for Doctor Veronica Hightower to come into her room. She knew each rising sun held a new promise. Mary believed the physician would deliver the wonderful news her cancer was in remission. Then all would be well in her world again. But each setting sun elapsed without a change. No news was good news. Or so Mary fooled herself into believing. Deep down inside she knew better.

Weakly, Mary found enough strength to sit down on the chair at the small vanity in her room. She'd put off the chore at hand as long as she could. First she signed the Do Not Resuscitate order. Mary understood there would be no intervention when the end time came. Then it was on to her Last Will and Testament.

Mary could feel herself fading away. She needed to complete the packet once and for all. Her weary hand began to tremble and a cold chill settled over her. Still she pressed on. Moving forward like a brave soldier. The enemy raging all around her.

Completing the project, Mary grabbed her chest. This was the Big One! With no one around her, Mary nosedived out of the chair she'd been perched on and crashed to the floor. Her final breath taken before she landed.

A hard rain fell as Mary was laid to rest. No one attended her funeral. Not her son. Not her daughter. Not even her grandchildren. At the reading of Mary's Will, all dressed in black and displaying their grieving performances, Mary's heirs gathered in lawyer Dennis Thompson's office.

The attorney began reading Mary's final wishes. Loud and clear he spoke each family member's name. Anxiously they anticipated their inheritances.

Then the lawyer concluded with, "To my shameful, uncaring, unloving family. You wanted no part of me in life. In death I leave the full balance of my three million dollar estate to my French Poodle, Fifi. You get nothing!"

Shock filled the room as each family member grasped what Mary did. They looked at one another in disbelief. From the grave Mary smiled. Revenge never tasted sweeter!

How Mary despised the reflection she witnessed every time she looked in the mirror! She could feel her heart breaking in two.

This was one of the stories exchanged between Beth Sorenson and Sheriff Brock Daniels on their way back home to Astatula from Dallas. It was about Mary McDonald, Beth's high school Drama teacher.

Cody, half-asleep on the back seat of the car, hung on to every word Beth spoke.

He was learning so much about the two who would soon become his new adopted parents through the little stories he listened to them tell.

"Serves her greedy family right!" Cody thought to himself.

He stretched out on the seat, all nice and comfy. Then, barefooted as he almost always was, peacefully drifted off to sleep.








Recognized

Author Notes
Did you pick up on this story's explanation of the three questions the contest wanted answered?

Well, if you did not a synopsis follows:

1 - What would you say to your younger self? In Mary's case she would say although she is wracked with cancer she is still beautiful enough for people to love, and should not be ignored by her family, especially as the end time grows near.

2 - What would you do differently if you could do it over? Mary would not lose Rodney nor would she be ravaged with cancer. She would also have closer bonds with her family.

3 - Would you chose to stay your younger self or not? Mary was a popular Stage Performer and a High School Drama Teacher. If she did not have to endure the cancer she would certainly want to return to her glory days. Thus the line "She could feel her heart breaking in two".








Thanks avmurray for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.

     

© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement