FanStory.com - A Message in the Wee Hoursby RodG
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
noir flash-fiction
A Message in the Wee Hours by RodG
100 Word Story writing prompt entry

Dull light from the street lamp creeps through the blinds across the face of the clock.  2:12 a.m.  A night owl, I'm at my desk having breakfast:  two fingers of rye and a cig.  Maybe coffee and a donut later at the all-night diner.

rock shatters my window, just missing my head.  I'm on the floor, gun in hand, when the phone rings.  I grab it.

"Athens, that's a warning.  Next time a bullet if you don't lay off lookin'  for Daschard's daughter . . . You listenin'?"

I grunt.  "She alive?"

A hissing sneer.  "Yeah, gumshoe, for now.  Back off . . . or!"  The line goes dead.

I'm back at my desk, cleaning my gun and finishing breakfast.  The flunky on the phone follows orders from someone.  Johnny Athens doesn't.  Too stubborn I guess.

I lock up the office and continue my search for the missing heiress.


Writing Prompt
Write a story that is between 100 and 150 words. The trick is you must use the following words: breakfast, light, rock, phone, clock

Author Notes
Johnny Athens is a Chicago P.I. in the late 40s.

     

© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement