FanStory.com - A Door To The Pastby prettybluebirds
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Beware of strange doors
A Door To The Past by prettybluebirds
    A Door Contest Winner 

He had never noticed a door there before. "That's rather odd,"' he thought. Especially since he had been in this abandoned house several times prior to this.

There was nothing he loved better than finding old farm houses and exploring them. He would try to imagine the people who may have lived in the home, what they had been like, and the things they did to survive. He would pick an interesting room and sit quietly with his eyes closed, his mind open to any presence which might still exist in the old house. Some of his friends thought he was a little wacko, but he didn't care. It was just something he enjoyed doing.

Something about this particular old house kept calling him back. He didn't know what it was just a strange feeling when he came through the door. It almost seemed as if he had been here before and, as far as he could remember, he never had seen this place until a couple of weeks ago. It was an odd feeling of Deja-Vu. Sudden visions, a wood stove by the west wall, an oak table in the center of the floor, a woman in a long dress cooking on an old wood cook stove. He could almost smell the bacon frying and hear a woman's voice calling, "Breakfast is ready. Come get it or go without" It was all very strange, but it intrigued him more than frightened him.

Now here was this door at the end of the upstairs hallway. He couldn't recall it having been there the last time he was in the house. "It must have been there", he thought to himself. "I simply didn't notice it last time I was here". It didn't seem right somehow. It was highly unlikely he could have missed seeing the door and he certainly would have opened it to find out what was behind it. "Well, never mind", he thought. "I will remedy that situation at once".

He walked over to the door and swung it open. At once such a wave of grief and loss washed over him that it sent him to his knees with tears running down his face. He fell to the floor and it was several minutes before he could raise his head to behold the scene in front of him. "My God! what is this", he groaned.

A young woman in a long dress was kneeling beside the bed of a small boy. The child was perhaps three or four years old and, quite obviously, dead. It was a past moment of such terrible sorrow that it was hard to look upon. The woman was sobbing and shaking as she pushed the hair back off the boy's forehead.

He finally got his wits together and stepped further into the room. "It's only an apparition and it can't hurt me", he told himself. He took a couple of more steps and looked at the face of the boy.

He recoiled in horror and it felt like his heart would burst from his chest. The boy on the bed was him. He was witnessing his own death in a previous life. The woman kneeling by the bed must have been his mother in a past time.

The woman turned her tear ravaged face in his direction. A brilliant smile lit up her features and he could feel the deep love from her entering his very being. It felt as if an invisible cord connected the two of them. He felt that he had always known her.

"My son", she said. "I will be able to bear this now knowing you are going to live again".

The vision faded and he found himself standing alone in the upstairs hallway. There was no sign that there had ever been a door at the end of the hall. "Mother", he said with a feeling of deep reverence. "I will return to visit you again. Know that I loved you then and I will never forget you". Tears were running down his face, but they were tears of joy. To know he had been so loved in another lifetime touched him to his very soul.

He later made arrangements to purchase the old house so he could always return. Maybe he would never see the door or his mother again, but he would forever know it was there.






Writing Prompt
Write a story that somehow includes the sentence: He had never noticed a door there before. Do not change the sentence.
A Door
Contest Winner

Recognized

Author Notes
I like to explore old houses when I get the chance. It is fun to imagine who must have lived there in the long ago past. I try to imagine who must have built the house all those years ago and what their dreams must have been. It is fun.

     

© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement