FanStory.com - Cruel Gifts by Rinshikai
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A party with an unexpected change
Rise from the Fall
: Cruel Gifts by Rinshikai

Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of violence.
Warning: The author has noted that this contains the highest level of sexual content.
Background
Colton is an auxiliary soldier who believed that his life would be guarding the walls of the imperial capital. But when a young officer puts the northern frontier in jeopardy, all that changes.

Colton

Once thundering over everything, the music is now a hum in the night. "Your attention, please," a familiar voice fills the air. Through the sea of bodies, Lady Vita stands at the center of it all. She is adorned in fine silk and gold, "Thank you all for attending this joyous day." Her lines are pompous. "It is my honor to welcome one of our courageous soldiers home."

The metallic steps drew the gaze of all. Like the rising sun, he comes into view. Armor polished to a shine. On his arm Livia perches, wearing a red dress matching his cloak. "It warms my heart to be home once again." He plays the triumphant hero, "The bite of winter was harsh,"-turning to Livia, and they kiss- "But the comforting words of this woman kept me going." The room agrees, clapping like seals hoping for a fish. "And that is why the house of Juliana will join its legacy with the hero Livius."

An eruption of cheers fills the room; marriage with one of the five; was like finding a sack of gold in shit. While not perfect, it was a guarantee of a lifetime. Tatayana's perfume burns my eyes while she rests her head. A few eyes dart at us but quickly return to the main event. "Hmm, smart move." She rubs against me.

"Makes sense," I try pushing her away, but she persists, reminding me we can't make a scene. A few gossipers mutter between each other, but I ignore them. It's not worth it. The windbag continues his speech, leaving no detail of the ever-changing threats on the frontier. However, my attention is drawn back by the rattling of chains.

Two soldiers drag a woman into view. I see various tattoos across her flesh, clad in mud and dirt. "This Pagan priestess attempted a campaign of conversion across the frontier. Polluting the minds of those we have saved." The room fills with hushed whispers, followed by a sense of dread. "I do not doubt this pagans importance,"-snipping his fingers, they forcefully turn her, allowing all to see her back-"this mark is proof of this." A great tree grows from neck to ass, branches heavy with leaves and roots running deep. My heart sinks, knowing it's the World Tree itself.   

Heat fills my veins, and my muscles tense. What has Cato done? Yes, the border has been secure for years, but the lands beyond were another story. I thought the guests would flood my ears again. However, it never comes. Across the room, lips whispered in hushed words. The room is a mixture of pride and panic, "People, I understand the fear in your hearts. You fear retaliation. But I have faith should that come to pass. My brothers and the alliance we fought to create will hold the line." He reassures, "We cannot allow these pagans to divide us. This priestess's capture proves that even their gods have failed them, and only we can bring this world into the light."

Unable to listen to another word, I push my way to a slave carrying a tray. With Tatanya still on my arm, I offer her a cup which she graciously accepts. Taking my own, I swallow the wine in one gulp, ignoring the taste. "Cato always loved making speeches."

"Yeah."

Handkerchief in hand, she hides her amusement. "Even when we were children, he adored Lord Livius." He was the hero that stopped King Oswald's revolt, a man every imperial soldier was inspired to be. Even an arrow through the leg couldn't destroy his vigor. Many would consider it an honor to live under his roof. Learning from the best, but there are always two sides to that coin. I remember every blow of the switch, a reminder of how unworthy I was. Painful memories jump into my mind, but I push them back, stopping myself from touching my shoulder. I consider getting drunk, but the windbag himself struts towards us, his blushing bride in tow.

"You two make quite the odd couple."

"It's not what you think, Livia," Tatyana returns her cup. "I needed an escort,"-we lock arms- "And Colton was kind enough to offer." She doesn't mention the coin. I'm grateful, but it's suspicious. What is she planning? "You're marrying one of the most desirable men in the empire,"- those lovely pools stare at me, "I wasn't going to let you have all the attention." There it is, another pompous attempt at one-upping.

I rip my arm from Tatyana so I can turn in for the night. "I assume you weren't happy with my guest Colton?" I walk past them, "Well, considering your lineage, I'd thought you'd make a scene." Every muscle tenses, and I fight the urge building up inside me. "I respect your restrain," my heart quickens, sending a wave of hate across my body. With one deep exhale, I remind myself that it isn't worth it, so don't ever fall for their traps again.

"You don't fear they'll retaliate?"

He causally laughs through those ivory whites, shaking his head like he is talking with a child. "Why would I." He sends the women off and orders me to follow. "Come, Livia, and I have a gift for you." The idea of getting anything from him or Livia makes my skin crawl. "Colton, the Empire cannot allow these pagans to act without consequence. It will lead to uprisings; trust me, it's not something either of us would want." The sound of music is now only the echo of our footsteps. "You've never been on the frontier." His solemn words ring hollow. "These heathens are worse than a scheming politician, sowing the seeds of rebellion just as King Oswald.     

"What did you do?" Dread fills my heart.  

My room comes into view. Two slaves stand on either side. "Simple, I removed the weeds before they could spread." Smug pride becomes a smile, "Is it ready?" The slaves nod before excusing themselves, and then we enter.

Blind rage clouds my mind, and I pin Cato to the wall in the heat of the moment. "What is this?"  The glittering of gold steals my focus, and I'm in awe. A woman hangs, naked, bound, and beaten, her face hidden by a mane of red, only one emerald eye pierced through, darting between us like a beast ready to strike. Lost in her gaze, Cato frees himself. Unfazed, he dusts himself off, then walks to the woman.

"She's a gift," he caresses her; "She was with that priestess, spreading their disease." She thrashes in vain, petrified once Cato shows her a funnel-like tool. "Put up quite a fight."

"You force-fed her?"

"You prefer she had starved to death?" I want to protest, but he has me. Unable to focus, a knot forms in my gut; I wouldn't wish that on anyone. "I was going to sell her," –showing the rug matched the drapes. My knuckles ache, and images of him bloody and broken flood my thought. "But Livia convinced me she'd be better off with you." With the funnel on my desk, "enjoy."

I grab his forearm. "Is this a sick joke?"      

"I can always sell her." I can feel the daggers she throws at us, "There are several brothels that would love a natural redhead." His poisoned words rip my gut. The mere thought of owning a slave disgusts me, but I can't leave her to that fate. Swallowing my pride, I say the one word he wants to hear.

"Fine."

 

Author Notes
Character List
Colton: Main POV character
Cato: Son of one of the Five great families
Lady Vita: Mother of Livia
Livia: Daughter of Vita
Tatyana: Daughter of one of the Five great families

This chapter is a rewrite of chapter 3, now as a new chapter 5. I ask that reviewers give a minimum of one thing they like and dislike. If you see anything that needs to be fixed or improved, don't hesitate to point it out, I can't improve otherwise.

     

© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement