FanStory.com - White Birdby Treischel
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Kyrielle Sonnet
Little Poems
: White Bird by Treischel
Write a Kyrielle Sonnet contest entry



On twisted branch the white bird stands,
A specter in the hinterlands.
Through mists of time its story's told.
Its ancient countenance is bold.

Some say it carries dragon blood,
Predating even Noah's flood.
For sure, its origin is old.
Its ancient countenance is bold.

It looks impressive as it soars,
Like Pterodactyl dinosaurs,
With legs behind, broad wings unfold.
Its ancient countenance is bold.

On twisted branch the white bird stands,
Its ancient countenance is bold.


Recognized

Author Notes
This is a Great White Egret standing on a tree fall along the Mississippi river. You might notice that there are a couple of turtles nearby too. It is a large Heron with all-white plumage. Standing up to 1 m (3.3 ft) tall, this species can measure 80 to 104 cm (31 to 41 in) in length and have a wingspan of 131 to 170 cm (52 to 67 in). Rising above the earth and soaring through the skies, birds have been symbols of power and freedom throughout the ages. In many myths and legends, birds link the human world to the divine or supernatural realms that lie beyond ordinary experience. Myths from several regions associate birds with the creation of the world. In ancient Egypt it was said that when land rose out of the primeval waters of chaos, the first deity to appear was a bird perching on that land. The Egyptians called the god the Benu bird and portrayed it as a long-legged, wading heron in the sun temple at Heliopolis. Birds have recently been recognized as living descendants of the Dinosaurs. If you have ever seen a Great White Egret in flight, you'd be amazed at how closely its profile resembles a Pterodactyl.

This poem is a Kyrielle Sonnet. See contest requirements. The volta, or turn, is a bit subtle. The first two stanzas discuss its myths and origins. The third focuses upon its appearance.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on April 4, 2012.

     

© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement