FanStory.com - Sue's Journeyby Chrissy710
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My Sister Sue's Breast Cancer Journey
Christine's Poems
: Sue's Journey by Chrissy710

Sue's Journey

Sue had a mammogram recall, so went with trepidation
Then I received her sad phone call, and to her side did hasten.
Wet tears I saw flowed down her cheek, "a breast lump they have found"
'Twas hard to find when they did seek, but it showed on ultrasound.

Biopsy next then they performed, she dreaded diagnosis
Some cells have gone and now reformed, what will be her prognosis.
"I'm sorry Sue, you have CA, metastases in breast"
These words I heard her GP say now put us all to test.

With sadness in our hearts we went to tell our dear old Mum
Her tears welled up and soon were spent, a mothers dread succumb.
But Sue was strong and won't be beat, "be dammed, I'll let it win"
She set about it to defeat, and wore a steely grin.

And so her journey then began, appointments every day
The Doctors all had made a plan to rid her of CA.
Oncology this was the first, let Chemo take a hold
To shrink this tumour she'd been cursed, did work we all were told.

But she did pay, her hair fell out, so down to buy a wig
She wore it well, without a doubt, no-one would ever twig.
Her body now in ravished state, her will remained real strong
With more to come she had to face, with her I came along.

Next came the knife, her breast removed, mastectomy complete
The Surgeons skills to us were proved, no other could compete.
More Chemo then for my dear Sue, to mop up cells still there
Then rounds of radiation was, almost too much to bear.

It's been a long and daunting road, uncertainty not timed
But strength and courage she has shown, with every step she's climbed
Sue's gone through all the treatment well, combatted all her fear
But really, only time will tell if she'll be in the clear.

Next on the list a breast recon, prosthesis then wont need
To make up for the cancer's rob, be whole again succeed.
I look at her with glowing pride, for all she has been through
Each step has conquered in her stride, my dearest sister Sue.

Yes now my sister's joined the rink, she now is a subscriber
Sue wears with pride the colour pink, a 'Cancer Free Survivor'
And so dear Lord now hear my prayer, please keep her safe and sound
My sister is so dear to me. Let no more lumps be found.

Christine 4/10/2015

Recognized

Author Notes
This poem is about my Sister Sue who at 54 was diagnoses with metastatic breast cancer. ( a difficult one to diagnose on mammogram and it was picked up on ultrasound)
this type was called Ductus Cancer in situ as it was right under the nipple and difficult to see however it was confirmed by biopsy and on further investigation had also spread to two lymph nodes. Sue has regular mammograms and the last one was clear so she wondered how long it had been there. The oncologist told her that due to it's size it had probably been there for up to 18 months and had now metastasised to the lymph node.

I remember the afternoon getting the phone call from her telling me Sissy they have found a breast lump and so hurried to the hospital to be with her and her husband. I have been Sue's support for all the journey( being the older sister and the Nurse I think she felt safe with me around to interpret Doctors jargan etc and help make decisions of who to go to etc. Being in the Health sector I was able to suggest a great Surgeon and Oncologist who have been superb.

After the first round of Chemo Sue lost her hair and I took her to a wig specialist who shaved her head and provided a great wig. ( That was a sad day very emotional for us all, but her wig did look nice. Her hair did grow back and now she keeps it short and let it grow out grey but it suits her)
So it has been a big learning curve for all the family and I guess we are very blessed to have such a great family all round and this has just proved how much we all love each other and although quite big we see each other often and have all shared in Sue's journey.

Sue has completed all the treatment and is now waiting for her Reconstruction in November this year. so fingers crossed that will be a success too.

I felt compelled to write and share my story ( Sue's story really) with the FS site and thank Jax Franklin for this opportunity to do so. and believe the Pink is such a wonderful tribute to all Breast Cancer ( female and Male) survivors and also to all other who have gone through this dreadful disease. and to those families of loved ones who haven't been as luck as we have my hearfelt sympathy to you.

Thank you for reading my poem Christine 4/10/2015

     

© Copyright 2024. Chrissy710 All rights reserved.
Chrissy710 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement