FanStory.com - Scene 1: Remember Attu in 1745by Alaskastory
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jared tells long story of the past
SPIRIT BASKET
: Scene 1: Remember Attu in 1745 by Alaskastory

FADE IN

EXT. GREEN VALLEY BELOW UNIVERSITY ON HILLTOP

EXT. WALKWAY INTO UA MUSEUM OF THE NORTH, FAIRBANKS -DAY

A group of summer TOURISTS snap pictures of unique building, statues, flowers in full bloom, and NATIVE BOY carries a large basket. Jared is 15.

SNOWY-HAIRED WOMAN
Wonderful basket. Surely it's authentic.

JARED
Yes ma'am, It's my ancestor's Spirit Basket.

Man in Texas cowboy hat pulls out wad of twenty-dollar bills.

TOURIST MAN
You got it for sale, Young Man?

DR. LEE appears at front door. She smiles at the crowd and flutters quickly to Jared.

DR. LEE
Ah, Dee Dee's little brother. C'mon, follow me with that basket.

Dr. Lee puts a hand on his shoulder.

INT. ELABORATE ART, ANIMALS, HISTORIC ITEMS DISPLAY AREA PRECEDES LINE OF OFFICE DOORS

Door SIGN reads Dr. Mildred Lee, Ethnology Curator. Series of photos and paintings line the walls, artwork on shelves.

DR. LEE
I have heard much about the basket. Now, Jared Sheikov, I want you to tell me more.

Jared places TALL BASKET on a table and removes lid. He INHALES DEEPLY.

JARED
Inside is the smell of the sea, beach grass, and berries too.

DR. LEE
I'm told it is over two-hundred fifty years old. Beginning in the Aleutians then later remade in Kodiak.

JARED
Grandmother Natasha tells us that. She tells of how grandparents who lived long, long ago survived. Each generation had to live differently than before.

DR. LEE
Tell me. Start at the very beginning. I want to hear every story that this beautiful basket holds.

JARED rolls his hands over basket, eyes closed.

JARED
The first story happened hundreds of years ago. Maybe in 1745. There a breeze washes off the sea. It is Attu Island.

EXT. TREELESS ISLAND, OVERLOOKING SEACOAST LINED WITH SEALS ON ROCKS

Knee-high grass atop a knoll stands ANGAYUK, a young teenage boy and his older brother RUUWAQ. Barks and grunts are heard from seals, waves pound loudly against the rocky shore.

ANGAYUK
Ruuwaq, look. What is that I see?

Points at a ship sparkling in sunlight, far off shore.

RUUWAQ
Something strange comes across the water. It's like a huge bidarka with white wings.

He drops a bundle of grass gathered for basket making.

ANGAYUK
Must tell Grandma. She will know.

Both dash for a standing of rock that shelters a spot from the wind. Their Grandmother sits, sorting strands of sturdy bay grass.

GRANDMA
My boys come with not a straw to weave.

She stretches her arms out toward the youngest boy, shaking her head at his ragged garment.

GRANDMA
Angayuk, you grow so fast. I need more seal gut to sew you a new coat.

ANGAYUK
Look, Grandma, look. See something strange on the water.

GRANDMA
My old eyes see something odd. What do your young eyes see, Ruuwaq?

RUUWAQ
Can it be that strange men from a far away land have come to our land?

With a gasp, the grandmother yanks Ruuwaq's arm and pulls herself to her feet.

GRANDMA
You must run to the village. Go, run fast. Warn our people.

Both boys run their bare feet on a path through brush and pebbles descending to a far side of the island.

EXT. THE VILLAGE -DAY

Here people have dug into the earth and made dwellings of driftwood and sod. Men stretch sealskin over lashed together wood frames shaping a long boat. Women sit together sewing seabird skins into shirts. They use bone needles and gut thread.

Boys stop at a circle of men. Their father THE CHIEF wears a carved wood visor decorated with sea-lion whiskers.

THE CHIEF
What brings my sons? You stop our story of a great hunt in the far north.

Angayuk bursts into the circle.

ANGAYUK
A bidarka comes that is bigger than a whale. It has huge white wings.

Ruuwaq stands respectfully outside the circle of men.

RUUWAQ
That's true. We saw it from the cliff rocks.

A jumble of voices rise, men stomp feet and some reach for spears carved from driftwood.

THE CHIEF
Might be visitors, maybe from a tribe in the south. Ruuwaq go with two men to watch. Hide there until we come with gifts.

(Beat)

THE CHIEF
(his gaze sweeps over the men)
We will come with gifts and our spears.

EXT. ON TRAIL TOWARD THE SOUTHERN BEACH - AFTERNOON

Everyone in the village walk with the men ahead. Elders, young ~mothers with children follow well behind. Near the beach they stay well hidden and watch the sailboat approach the beach.

ANGAYUK
The white wings.
(commenting to his grandmother)
See how they fold up. The bidarka has stopped.

Angayuk rushes to his brother's side. A gasp comes from many as they see a small boat is let down from the ship with men aboard.

RUUWAQ
Odd looking men come in strange bidarka. Angayuk, stand back. You hide all the children.

When the boat nears the beach, village men erupt in plain sight with spears held high. They yell out in song and jump and twist in the air to show strength and welcome.

Angayuk grabs the arm of a child who wants to jump and dance like the men and pulls him to a rocky shelter. His eyes never leave the approaching skiff.

ANGAYUK
Men are different in big coats, hats cover their ears. Paddles long.

MACHXISA, a young girl next to him points with a look of alarm.

MACHXISA
Scary ones have long hair on their chins. They stop in water. One scary man shouts and his long, black pole points at us.

Village men respond to sailors' shouts by waving spears and dancing vigorously.

ANGAYUK
Father offers sealskins. They are quick to grab them. They want the seals.

The man with the rifle waves back to the ship. Two other rowboats are lowered and more men paddle ashore. Very loud scraping sound of boats on the pebbled beach amaze villagers who approach with caution. Grandma bravely steps forward with a basket of bird eggs and tools carved from walrus tusks.

GRANDMA
I will trade for warm blanket woven different than my grass.

ANGAYUK
What they want most are fur-seals.

Angayuk chuckles, amused at the fast pace of trading.

ANGAYUK
Good to have a blanket and there's a pipe, but other things seem no purpose.

RUUWAQ
What matters most is that boat. It is made from a big wood but still floats.

Ruuwaq pounds a fist on the hull of a rowboat then begins tugging at it. He holds out his spear offering to trade. A hairy faced sailor begins yelling angrily.

A boom louder than thunder sends every villager fleeing for shelter. Birds shriek and flapping wings fill the sky.

Angayuk's throws an arm around MACHXISA

ANGAYUK
Thunder came from the black stick. See, smoke comes from it.

MACHXISA
Visitors not afraid. They don't run from the noise.

Villagers stay hidden and watch as the traders load the boats with sealskins. Loaded boats screech again over rocky beach, and move into the water as the tide begins to rise. Paddling begins.

Villagers seem stunned. Silence fills the air until boats and seamen board the ship.

Ruuwaq frowns. Slams his spear on the ground.

RUUWAQ
They trade no more with us. Get no more of our seals.

ANGAYUK
Big, white wings rise above the bidarka. Will they go away forever?

THE CHIEF
We will never see men with hairy chins and sky-color eyes again. Life for the Aleut people will be as it always has been.

MACHXISA speaks softly to ANGAYUK.

MACHXISA
A fear tickles over me. I feel it in my stomach.

ANGAYUK
Me too. The years may bring changes to our people.

FADE OUT: ISLAND PEOPLE AND ACROSS OCEAN WATERS

EXT. FADE IN TOWARD UNIVERSITY OFFICE

INT. DR. LEE'S OFFICE - AFTERNOON

JARED reaches deeply into the basket and pulls out a tiny piece of ivory.

JARED
The sharp point on this comes from a gift to TUMGAX. About twenty-five years later. He was son to ANGAYUK and MACHXISA.


Author Notes
Based on my (young adult) novel "Spirit Basket", I'm practicing screenwriting techniques. The format is distorted here, each speaker needs centering. Story begins in 2015 and many scenes later will end there. Many thanks to Crystal Clear for Orca picture.

     

© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement