FanStory.com - Investingby Treischel
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Petrarchan Sonnet
Little Poems
: Investing by Treischel




The ticker ticks its ups and downs.
Enchanted by the Market's call.
Investor's fortunes rise and fall
Upon the whims of kings and clowns.

They often wear misfortune's frowns
When all their dreams fall off the Wall,
And find it isn't good for all
When Lady Luck makes daily rounds.

But, if you dabble wisely when
You need a place for funds to grow,
Your fortunes may rise up again
To please, more than you've ever been,
When guided by those men who know
Stock Market's secret stratagem.





Author Notes
Ticker - Ticker Tape was the method of tracking stocks in the market for many years.
Market - The Stock Market
Wall- Wall Street

The Stock Market is no place to tread lightly. Those who rely in gut instinct, or their own guesswork, often find they have lost their money. Today, there are many analysts, newsletters, investor's programs, and other expert resources to aid in investing.

This poem is a Petrarchan Sonnet.

Italian (Petrarchan) sonnet: the most famous early sonneteer was Petrarca (known in English as Petrarch). The Sonnet was created by Giacomo da Lentini, head of the Sicilian School under Emperor Frederick II. The first ones were written in Italian. The structure of a typical Italian sonnet of this time included two parts that together formed a compact form of "argument". First, the octave (two quatrains), forms the "proposition", which describes a "problem", or "question", followed by a sestet (two tercets), which proposes a "resolution". Typically, the ninth line initiates what is called the "turn", or "volta", which signals the move from proposition to resolution. Even in sonnets that don't strictly follow the problem/resolution structure, the ninth line still often marks a "turn" by signaling a change in the tone, mood, or stance of the poem.

Later, the a-b-b-a, a-b-b-a pattern became the standard for Italian sonnets. For the closing sestet (last six lines) there were two different possibilities: c-d-e-c-d-e and c-d-c-c-d-c. In time, other variants on this rhyming scheme were introduced, such as c-d-c-d-c-d.
For this poem I chose the c-d-c-c-d-c structure.
Therefore the complete rhyme scheme for this poem is:
abab-abba-cdccdc.

The author compiled a recent series of stock market charts and created this montage.

     

© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement