FanStory.com - tangerine robe kneelsby Sis Cat
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A riddle.
tangerine robe kneels by Sis Cat

tangerine robe kneels
fear casts shadow across sand
and chills living rooms

Recognized

Author Notes
tangerine=a citrus fruit named after the Moroccan seaport of Tangier which exported them to Europe. I use tangerine as the color of the robes and jumpsuits the beheaded hostages wore in ISIS execution videos.

Repelled by a graphic poem I read on FanStory on the beheadings, I wrote a poem that said more by saying less. I used a haiku composed of twelve words over seventeen syllables. I focused not on the beheading, but on the distinctive robes some of the condemned wore. FanStory poet, Debbie Noland, states in her review, "To say that the 'robe' kneels has the effect of depersonalizing the victim. Beheading is literally the ultimate act of depersonalizing."

I thank Debbie Noland for permission to use her quote.

I also thank Patrick Beamish for use of his image "Spider Creeps On Orange Moon."

     

© Copyright 2024. Sis Cat All rights reserved.
Sis Cat has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement