FanStory.com - A Pox On Us Allby michaelcahill
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Planning continues. Red spots are noticed on many people.
Vision and Sound: Their Stories
: A Pox On Us All by michaelcahill

Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other

Previously, after much chasing and manuevering, somehow everyone remained safe and under shelter. Julia and Valerius were still in the forest, but after awhile Cicero could see the futility of trying to find them with a handful of men. He sent one of the soldiers for re-inforcements. We continue now as Julia and Valerius converse in the forest.



~~~~~~~Julia and Valerius in the forest
 


Valerius stepped back from the embrace of Julia, his face flush. "I can't think of anything but being in your arms when I'm in your arms." He smiled and embraced her again.
 
"Is there a reason you should be anywhere else or think on anything less worthy?" Julia kissed him and while she did the sounds in her head and the visions before her eyes faded away. She stepped back this time. "Have you a plan for this man who follows us, this man and his blind force of authority? How righteous a man's demeanor becomes when the force of a sword backs him."
 
"They won't find us. However, they won't go away either. Our friends are safe for the moment, as far as we know, but for how long. Now they pursue us. They may tire of our elusiveness. Then they will pursue troubled children and old women. Cicero knows nothing but his own obsession. I don't understand it—so foolish."
 
"Over the many years we repeat things it seems. There is some compulsion to resolve mistakes we have made in the past. Some do find resolution, I believe. They are people at peace, with themselves and with those they encounter. Others seem to never resolve their mistakes. They repeat them and even make them worse. They are not at peace, with themselves or anyone else. They walk into the same trap, over and over again. I see it, my love, but there is no understanding. We begin each life with what we have learned. At least, I feel as though there is knowledge within me from times before this. It would seem we would endeavor to learn more. It doesn't always seem to be so."
 
"Julia, you speak of each life. Are you truly so certain there is another life to come? Are you convinced you have lived previous lives … that I have lived previous lives with you? Somehow, when you are in my arms, I feel the truth of what you claim. I feel as though it is as it should be. It feels as though it has always been and always will be. You say I saved your life once, sacrificing my own. How do you know this?" Valerius seemed torn between accepting what passed between them and his natural desire to learn and understand. "Mind you, I am not sure I want to know more than how you feel in my arms and how soft your lips are."
 
"All I tell you, I have seen. I have lived those lives, as have you. Yes, a soldier drew his sword on me and you stepped in and slayed him. A man I recognize as my father did not know what had transpired. He mistook your act as aggression towards me and slayed you. As you left that body, you called me "Vision". I don't know why, but I remember it and it yet puzzles me. It was a man who doesn't look like you. I didn't look like me. My father then, is my brother now. Leopold has interfered in my life many times in the past, under many guises."
 
"How can you possibly believe this is more than the musings of your mind? I ask you this honestly, not with doubt, but to hear your answer."
 
"I know it. I have seen it. I remember it as I remember kissing you for the first time. It is a kiss promised for an uncountable number of years. I believe if I didn't know our past, I would still understand with that first kiss we are meant to be together."
 
Valerius smiled. "It does make me believe all you say. Now, we must tend to the tedium of this so-called man of God. By now, our families are aware something is amiss. At the moment, I fear we are the only ones who are safe. We need to go back and join the battle. I have some ideas."
 
Julia smiled, "I have no doubt you do."
 
Valerius continued, "I fear we are marooned here in the forest. Surely, the roads are guarded under a watchful eye. I can't be sure of any assistance although I feel many would rally to our side. My immediate concern is that they will tire of searching for us and seek easier prey. I believe the others are more at risk than we are."
 
"But how would adding our presence improve their lot. Out here, we have our knowledge of the forest. Huddled up with our fellows, we are as prone to capture as they are." Julia looked down and then deep into the forest as though seeing something. "I wish I could call upon what I see. But I have found that they are visions and have no substance."
 
"Perhaps there is information we can gather from what you see. I don't know. I have come to realize I have abilities whose origins are unknown to me, playing the horn for instance. Indeed, my medical knowledge seems to pop into my head when needed. Well, what next?"

 
~~~~~~~The shelter
 

Adeline and Lourdes prepared meals for the children. Grenadier didn't join in the play of his sister and Florentina.
 
Adeline stopped what she was doing and walked over to her son. "Are you ill, son? You normally have more energy for play. It worries me to see you sit and not join in."
 
"I feel week and these sores itch terribly." He scratched vigorously at his stomach.
 
"Sores? Let me see, son." She inspected several small red dots all over his stomach. As she investigated it turned out he had sores over a great portion of his body. "Goodness. How long have you had these sores?"
 
"I don't know. Two days? I didn't notice them, but then they itched and I saw many of them. What did I do?" He looked near tears.
 
Adeline hugged him close. "It isn't your fault. These things happen. Perhaps Trellitia can help."
 
Lourdes knocked on the door of Trellitia's home.
 
Trellitia looked to have been asleep upon answering. "Trouble? What is it? I don't mean to be jumpy. I have just now awoken. Now, what is it, Lourdes?"
 
"It is the boy. He is covered in sores. His mother is hoping you can help."
 
"Oh dear. I will be there shortly; I have some things to gather. Tell him not to scratch and please tell everyone to stay away from him, it may well be catching."
 

~~~~~~~Julia and Valerius in the forest
 

"What are those spots on your neck? Did you brush up against a plant that irritated you? You should know better." Julia smiled as she moved his collar to inspect.
 
"What is their appearance? I hadn't noticed them." Valerius seemed somewhat concerned, but not overly.
 
"They are reddish with a small yellow center." She looked closely, "The yellow is a liquid. It comes from the sore." She made a disapproving face.
 
Valerius grabbed her arm suddenly but gently. He pushed up her sleeve. "There, you have them to. We must treat this. It is deadly." He sifted through his bag and then froze looking at Julia. The others. "We must get to the others. It is no doubt one of the children who carries this. All are in danger. We must return. Cicero will have to wait."
 

~~~~~~~~Cicero and the soldiers
 

Cicero and two of the soldiers occupied the main road. Any one coming from either direction could be easily intercepted and questioned.
 
Cicero reached back with his cross and scratched his back absent-mindedly. The gold chain pulled at his neck. He itched there too. "When we get some reinforcements, we find those two. DEMONS! Two men of God slaughtered by their depraved disregard. Only Satan himself has so little conscience. We find them all, hear me! Then the vengeance of Almighty God will fall upon them with all its anger and fury. I will be his sword!" He scratched his neck.
 
The soldiers with him looked at each other unimpressed. One said to the other, "These Christians shall keep us in uniform for a great long while."




 

Author Notes
There is an end to this section coming soon. Two or three segments at the most. (I hope) I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.

     

© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement