FanStory.com - And Where It Lands....by michaelcahill
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
We find out who the arrows hit. The game still afoot.
Vision and Sound: Their Stories
: And Where It Lands.... by michaelcahill

Warning: The author has noted that this contains strong violence.
Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other

Previously, Cicero turned out to be as fanatical as either Leopold or Rastavius. Valerius and Father Travis were put under guard and Cicero went to confront Julia and capture her. Julia backed Cicero down with her truthful words, but Cicero stayed true to his plan and ordered the soldiers to capture her. She ran before they could seize her. Valerius and Travis took the two soldiers guarding them by surprise and escaped. As Julia ran, Leopold followed the sound of her voice in close pursuit. Arrows were shot and in the air as the last chapter closed. Julia stumbled and Leopold lurched forward as the arrows hit their mark. We continue now as their fate is revealed.

 

The forest loomed ahead. The sound of arrows filled the air. Screams cut through the shouting on the field. Cassius had reached Julia and they were near the stand of trees and safety when Julia stumbled. The screams were piercing.
 
Cassius cried out, "Julia!"
 
Leopold shouted out, "DEMON!", as he lurched forward to the ground. 
He moved no more. Two arrows stuck out from the middle of his back. He was no more than two feet behind Julia who had tripped on a rock he had kicked forward while running. The arrows were shot true and straight for her. Leopold had gotten in the way. Cassius and Julia slipped behind the stand of trees. They knew the forest better than anyone. They were safe.
                                                                                                                                                                     
"Stay here and I will see if I can spot the others." Cassius turned to go back. Julia followed him.
 
They peered through the trees. Trellitia and the Oracle were being ignored and almost to the woods. He observed Cervantes speaking with Cicero.
 
Cassius whispered, "He disappoints."
 
Julia answered, "Do not be so quick to judge. It may be deception. He can't fight them all on his own. We did abandon him, after all."
 
"Always the level head. Always fair. I love you, sister."
 
"As you should, brother, as you should." Julia smiled and they both suppressed their laughter.
 
Julia stood up. "Valerius".
 
Cassius looked up. "What is it? I have wondered where he might be. Are you worried?"
 
"No. He comes. He is coming to me."
 
"His bag. He had me put his bag … over here, by this tree. I have it. I don't know his plan. Two more soldiers. The one left and returned with two more. They come, Julia. What now?"
 
"We wait for Valerius. He comes to me. We wait."
 
"Very well, I hope it is soon. They will be upon us soon. Now two soldiers pursue Trellitia and the Oracle. I don't like this. I should defend her. They are unarmed. The Oracle alone … I don't know."
 
"We wait, Cassius. Valerius is close at hand." Julia looked at the soldiers advancing and at the two priests. "See, brother, Cervantes looks around as though he seeks help. Can you see it?"
 
"Perhaps, perhaps. If you say so. You may be right. He does seem to be uncomfortable … as though he does not approve."
 
"Trust me, he is with us. He knows the truth. I feel it."
 
Valerius and Father Travis came through the woods together and stood before them. Travis looked worn.
 
"The two of you should be long gone from here. Cassius, for God's sake! Why did you not force her to leave?" Valerius smiled.
 
Cassius sighed. "You know the answer as well as I."
 
Julia walked up to Valerius and embraced him. "Nice of you to show up."
 
"I have an idea. You once told me that I played the military maneuvers of the Persian army on my horn. Do you recall that?"
 
"Yes, of course. You once used it in battle, though it was Roman maneuvers as I recall. I have studied a bit since then…"
 
Cassius interrupted, "Forgive me, but Trellitia and the Oracle are in danger. We best put our efforts towards their safety." Cassius gestured towards the two as they neared the forest.
 
"Father", Valerius looked at Travis, "go with these two. All of you go and assist Trellitia and the Oracle. I'm going to take care of this."
 
"I'm staying with you." Julia said with finality.
 
"As am I." Cassius was equally adamant.
 
”I figured as much. Father, if you'd help those two. I think you should help them as well, Cassius; the Oracle and Travis are no match for those soldiers, they need you. Trellitia is dear to me, to all of us. There is no danger to us in the forest. We are safe."
 
"Very well. You make sense. Be careful then and take care of my sister. I'm somewhat fond of her." Cassius smiled slightly and left at once with Father Travis. Trellitia and the Oracle were nearby.
 
Julia and Valerius ran into the forest. Valerius had his bag in one hand and his horn in the other. They ran like two gazelles in perfect unison. They belonged together; every creature in the forest could see it. The forest glimmered with the light surrounding them.
 

~~~~~~~Trellitia and The Oracle move as best they can
 

Cassius and Francis came upon where they had seen Trellitia and the Oracle. They were not to be found, nor were the soldiers who pursued them. The walked slowly, searching for them.
 
Some distance away, the Oracle looked back and saw two soldiers close behind. He made his decision. "You keep running. I will delay them. Don't look back."
 
"No. I will not leave you here. We meet our fate together." Trellitia showed no fear.
 
"I am charged with your safety. No one has looked to me as a man in as long as I can remember. I intend to live the rest of my life as a man. Do as I say, woman. You are much loved. Run, run for those who love you. Do not dishonor me by staying and do not underestimate … the Oracle." He rose to his full height and looked somewhat formidable in a mystical way.
 
Trellitia embraced him. "I will tell the others of your bravery. You are indeed a good man, the best of men." She ran at her best speed, disappearing into the forest. None knew it better than she.
 
The Oracle took shelter behind a large tree and waited. He had surprise on his side. The soldiers had numbers and they had weapons. The Oracle planned to make the fight last, last long enough for Trellitia to reach safety.
 

~~~~~~~~Abramus and Petrus in town
 

There proved to be a lot of support for Abramus and Petrus as they quickly went from person to person soliciting their help. However, very few were willing to mount a steed and take their support into harm's way. Father Thurston, though, showed no hesitation as he mounted up and joined them.
 
Slowly a small posse of men formed growing in number as villagers saw their fellows already ready to ride. In a short time, eight men joined the two concerned fathers as they made top speed back to the abandoned carriage of the priests.
 

~~~~~~~Cicero and the other four soldiers
 

It became clear to Cicero that pursuing Julia and Valerius on foot would prove fruitless. He signaled the men to return to their horses.
 
He turned to Cervantes. "Take the carriage into town. Tell the villagers what has happened here. Leopold was much loved. Gather as many villagers as possible to our cause. We must find these demons. Winslow's family is sheltered here, I am certain of it. It is their way to take a foothold and congregate together. Avoid Thurston; his head is turned by the ramblings of the physician. He is weak and has no stomach for the difficult work the Lord calls us to do. Hurry now, we are depending on you."
 
Cervantes nodded, but he said nothing. He ran towards the carriage, mounted it and was off down the road.
 

~~~~~~~The soldiers come upon the Oracle
 

The two soldiers had lost sight of Trellitia and the Oracle. They came upon the tree where the Oracle hid.
 
"AHHHHH!" The Oracle cried out as he dropped from the branch above the soldiers unto them. The three of them tumbled to the ground. The Oracle rolled to his feet. He kicked the soldier beginning to rise squarely in the head toppling him over onto the other one. He took off running in the opposite direction Trellitia had fled.
 
With some effort, the soldiers managed to rise to their feet and follow. Moments later, they heard the sound of their commander's horn signaling their return. They ran a few more steps loathe to quit the chase. Ultimately, their sense of duty and discipline took hold and they returned to Cicero and their comrades who had brought their steeds with them from the road.
 
Cicero gave his instructions. "The old witch can wait and the fool she is with. The demon girl and the doctor, they are the real danger. They are on foot, we are on horseback. Let's end this little game." Cicero kicked his mount forward and the others followed.



 

Author Notes
love this story. I love the input and suggestions and help you all have been giving me as well. Thank you so very much!

List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

The Oracle- A strange man that Julia and the others meet in the forest and invite to join them.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.

Father Travis-Valerius travels to treat him and finds him to be at odds with Father Cicero over demon possesion.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


     

© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement