FanStory.com - Plans, More Plans and Romanceby michaelcahill
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Bishop visits, Cassius hints at his feelings for Lourdes
Vision and Sound: Their Stories
: Plans, More Plans and Romance by michaelcahill

Background
Two soul mates encounter each other as humans many times. They are drawn to each other sometimes in impossible circumstances unaware of their connection.

Previously, discussions continued and romance began to bloom between Valerius and Julia. This was in spite of the fact that Valerius considered it a betrayal of his oath as a physician. He couldn't deny that he was in love with her, madly in love. Julia described in great detail what she saw in what people considered her delusions. Valerius came to a greater understanding of her and felt there was truth to what she saw. He became convinced she was not mentally ill, but only saw more than others did. We continue now as Cassius and Florentina enjoy the garden and talk.



~~~~~~~Cassius and Florentina walk in the vegetable garden
 

"I have never seen so much food in my life. May I have a taste of something?" Florentina looked over the large vegetable garden in wonder.
 
Cassius smiled. "Let me pick something out that may be new to you." He bent over, grabbed a green crown close to the ground, and pulled. The ground gave way with ease and a bunch of radishes of varying size was dangling there. "Have you had one of these before?"
 
"Why no. You pulled those right out of the ground. What are they? They're all red like a strawberry."
 
"They don't please the palette as a strawberry does. They have a surprising heat to them and excite a salad of vegetables or cooked in a stew. But I like them just like this." He rubbed the dirt off on his pant leg and poppped one in his mouth. His chewing made a loud crunching noise as he consumed it. "It's a radish."
 
"A radish." She looked serious as she accepted one from him and popped it in her mouth. She bit into it and stopped with a puzzled look on her face. Her eyes grew wide. She began to chew it. "It is most odd and somewhat hot." She managed to mumble with her mouth occupied. "I think I like it! It makes me laugh. Right out of the ground where it has been hiding."
 
Cassius laughed. They walked on a bit and he pointed out various vegetables growing there along with spices and herbs. Finally, he came to the point of asking what had been on his mind. "How long has it been since your father has been gone?"
 
"It has been a good long while. We still miss him so. We were left alone with nothing. I was only five years old at the time, but I remember him clearly."
 
"I see. You are eight years old now. Your mother has done well by you; you are a remarkable young lady."
 
"Oh, I don't know. We just get by as best we can. The people in the forest help each other just like a family. It's not so bad. It does become frightfully cold in the winter."
 
"I hope you will not have to suffer such hardships again. Valerius is a good man. He will not turn his back to your mother and you. I am your friend now too. I will not see you in dire straits either."
 
He squeezed her hand and they headed back to the house. I may become more acquainted with your mother if I have my way. She is quite lovely and well spoken. He quickened their pace.
 

~~~~~~~Leopold meets with Bishop Julius Brosius
 

Leopold spent the morning ordering the nuns in cleaning duties around the parish. Bishop Julius Brosius would be making his monthly stop in the afternoon and Leopold planned that it would not be a routine meal, inventory and accounting session.
 
The Bishop stopped by monthly to collect the tribute for the church. The tribute, which was called a donation, amounted to fifty percent of the offerings acquired by the local parish during the previous month. The offering was voluntary… or referred to as such. No church had ever seen fit to withhold the offering, so repercussions were unknown.
 
A greeting, followed by a hearty meal and then bestowment of the offering constituted the events of the usual visit. Business could be discussed, but there was seldom any business of note. Today there would be. There were demons afoot in the parish. The Bishops advice would be sought and possibly his help as well.
 
Leopold attempted to conceal his excitement as the Bishop strode up to the parish. "Good day, Bishop Brosius. I am pleased to see you once again."
 
"The pleasure is mine, Father Leopold. Father Thurston will be joining us?"
 
"Alas, he is about the village doing the Lord's work. I have taken the liberty of inviting Father Cervantes. He is young and new to the cloth. He is excited, of course, to meet you. An impressionable young man of strong faith. He seems well liked by the villagers."
 
"Excellent. I enjoy the company of young men new to the ministry. It comforts me to know the church will be in good hands as we age and finally go to Glory."
 
Father Cervantes waited anxiously in the dining hall and strode a little too swiftly to greet the Bishop. "I am honored to meet you, Bishop Brosius. I am new to the parish. I am Father Cervantes."
 
"Yes, son. I have been apprised. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. The work of the Lord is never done. One day you will be the aging clergyman meeting the young energetic priest." The Bishop smiled somewhat warmly, but the smiled disappeared as he noticed the bounty of food on the banquet table.
 
It wasn't long before Father Leopold spilled what was on his mind. "Bishop, I seek your wisdom. I am convinced a demon exists in our village. I have consulted with Father Rastavius in Constantinople and been enlightened. A young woman I have known since she was an infant shows clear signs of possession. Indeed, she has attracted another demon from the forest to join her. I fear that if something is not done, the village is in danger."
 
"The Lord is powerful, Leopold. Faith and piety will protect all. It is the one that is possessed that brings worry to me. Perhaps you mistake a folly of the mind."
 
"I have seen her commune with demons unseen by human eyes. Speaking to the wind as though a being of great evil had grabbed hold of her."
 
"Well, we do investigate such matters. We have found that in times of duress, Satan is ever vigilant in his quest. If you were to document this matter fully I would then present it to the church and await their recommendation." The Bishop looked around the room suspiciously and lowered his voice. "Of course, this is your parish. The Lord always guides those that serve him. It often becomes necessary for these matters to be dealt with locally through prayer and the support of the local clergy."
 
Father Cervantes broke the hushed tone exuberantly. "I have heard tell of resistance from villagers sometimes resorting to violent means. Are there troops available should that be the case?"
 
Leopold looked aghast as the young priest spoke out loud what should remain unsaid. "Son, the church does not call upon… "
 
"Yes, son. The government supports the sovereignty of the church and will step in to preserve it. It is not our desire to bring a matter to that end. Satan is powerful, son. We fight with light and truth. But the good book tells us that if need be we take up the sword. The hour is late. I am due south shortly. I must take my leave. I will keep in close contact, Father. The Lord will guide you and the church is at your disposal if needs be." He bowed and extended his hand.
 
Both priests took his hand and kissed the ring it bore and bid him a safe journey.
 
Once he had taken leave, Cervantes spoke. "I beg forgiveness, Father. I spoke out of turn. The excitement overwhelmed me."
 
"No, son, you were bold, it is true, but truth is never out of turn. I have heard of fellow clergy being murdered by frenzied crowds taken with the Devil's charm. You were right to voice your concern. I might have done so with less flourish, but you were not out of order. I am pleased with the Bishop's response. I feel renewed knowing that the church stands behind us. I have a visit to make."
 
Leopold took his leave. He horsed the carriage and set off on his way to the house of Abramus.
 

~~~~~~~Inside the home of Abramus
 

Cassius and Florentina entered smiling and the girl bounced to her mother smiling.
 
Cassius seemed to be shy as he addressed Lourdes. "Ma'am, your daughter is charming. I do hope that you will bring her by for visits. Perhaps when you are assisting the Doctor here, she might enjoy our company. She is taken with the farm and its hidden treasures." And YOU will be bringing her of course. In that way I will see you more often.
 
"I would be in your debt, sir. This is indeed a most welcoming home. She is taken with you. I have not seen her so light of spirit since… well, in quite some time. You have great charm yourself, Cassius."
 
"You are too kind, Lourdes. Of course, her visits will be my excuse to enjoy the company of her mother." His face flushed. Why did I say that? Oh dear. I shouldn't have blurted that out…
 
Lourdes blushed in kind. "You flatter me. That would indeed be my pleasure as well." She smiled brightly as she looked away towards the window. Oh my. I hadn't thought he even noticed me. This is certainly a lovely day. Yes, just lovely.



 

Recognized

Author Notes
Romance blossoms as it must! Feedback continues to be wonderful. Thank you so much.


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.

     

© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement