FanStory.com - A New Ally, A New Assisstantby michaelcahill
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
All return home. Some new members to the family move in.
Vision and Sound: Their Stories
: A New Ally, A New Assisstant by michaelcahill

Background
Two souls meet over and over as humans. They are unaware that they are mates. In spite of impossible circumstance they always seek each other out.

Previously, Leopold returned to town, his head filled with information from Rastavius. Thurston conversed with him and saw the change which put him on alert. Thurston later ran into his old friend Trellitia. Valerius neared the village and considered what he would tell his father concerning his traveling companions. He hoped his father would be accepting of his idea to hire Lourdes as his assisstant. We continue now as Trellitia encounters Thurston on the road.



~~~~~~~Trellitia encounters Thurston

 
"Good afternoon, Father Thurston. It has been a good while since I have seen you."
 
"Well, Lady Trellitia, it is so seldom that you leave your home. I do wish you would come to service. There are many that love you and miss you, myself included."



 
"Perhaps I may be more inclined. I have taken an apprentice and he renews my spirit, Father. Young Valerius has grown in the blink of an eye. Why, I still see him as a child running through the forest." She laughed heartily. "Escaping the witch at the time."
 
They shared a good laugh. Father Thurston was aware of the children's musing about his friend.
 
"Well, perhaps if you didn't seal yourself inside like a winter bear, they might not have come to that conclusion, dear lady. Valerius you say, an apprentice? That is most heartening news. We have been without a local physician since… well a long time. I was not aware of his interest."
 
"He seems a natural. I believe it is the daughter of Abramus that triggers his interest. You are aware of the strangeness of her actions. He has taken an interest in her. Honestly, I believe him to be smitten. But, there is no denying his skills. He repaired the leg of Cassius in a manner I have never seen before, even by my husband."
 
Thurston took on a serious expression. "I should warn you then, Trellitia. He must be on guard. Leopold has been to Constantinople and consulted with Rastavius. Rastavius is a fanatic who caused me to seek the peace of this village. Leopold has returned with the wide eyes of fervor. Julia might be in danger. Make sure that Valerius is aware of the danger to his patient and to himself as one who takes her part. I am pleased to have encountered you here. It seems to be a power that has brought us together. We will keep each other informed. I fear that Leopold may gain power. His kind usually does."
 
The two old friends walked on for a while longer and then parted ways.
 

~~~~~~~Valerius arrives home
 

Petrus viewed his son who was not alone. He thought back to countless times when his son was not alone. There never seemed to be a time when Valerius would leave on his own and not return with some creature in need of assistance. Of course, a wounded crow or wild hare to tend to in the barn was hardly a burden even to this impoverished family. A child with a child. What is this, Valerius? You haven't been gone long enough to wed and produce heirs. "Greetings, Son. I see you have married and already there is a granddaughter for me."
 
Lourdes blushed to match the color of the newly painted barn. Valerius smiled, pleased that his father seemed willing to discuss the visitors he had brought home with him. These were not a pair of fledgling sparrows in need of weaning. "I would introduce you, Father, to Lourdes and her daughter, Florentina. I am hoping to make Lourdes my assistant. She has already expressed a willingness to assist anywhere needed on the farm. Her daughter is energetic and amenable to hard work as well. I will need an assistant, Father. A physician should concern himself with the patient and not with the fetching of bindings and such."
 
Petrius looked sternly at Lourdes and at the same time managed to look kindly at young Florentina. "I am able to see that the young one here is filled with energy. I might ask if Mother is skilled in the kitchen and with the needle? There is work in the field, of course, but there are chores inside as well more suited to a young mother and her child."
 
Valerius began to answer, but Lourdes cut him off. "Kind sir, my daughter and myself would be greatly in your debt for your kindness. I do have skills in those areas. I am wise at gathering from the land as well. In these times, that which we glean from the land itself is most profitable in comparison to the cost of goods from market."
 
"Very well put, ma'am. My son here will see to your accommodations. We will be most pleased to have you here with us. Perhaps there is something we can learn from you. The earth is indeed rich with bounty for those who know how to look for it. I've tried to teach my children thusly. Welcome." He bent down with his arms open. Lourdes nudged her daughter who was shy at first, but then, upon seeing the warm smile of Petrius, rushed into his arms. Lourdes smiled in relieved approval.
 
"Well, a lesson in the kitchen would seem to be in order then. The berries in the forest sustain us, but a roast and fresh vegetables are what I have dreamed of for days!" Valerius was already in the kitchen pulling out the large stew pot and making a racket.
 

~~~~~~~Julia at war
 

"Julia! Stop this at once and come home."
 
Cassius had never seen his sister quite this frantic before. He had joined in what he considered play since they were small children. They were not children any longer. She appeared to be in the middle of a battle, but, of course, she was alone.
 
"Cassius! The horns sound from the rear. They are a ruse, you must tell father. The horns from the front are real, they signal battle. This has happened before. We can turn the tide if we attack now! Why do you just stand there? Have you no heart for battle after all we have weathered?" Julia jumped to the side and lashed out with the limb in her hand. It whooshed through the air. The sound of it chilled Cassius.
 
"Julia, please. There is nothing there. You must stop. Listen to me. This is what Trellitia told you. If others do not see it, you should ignore it and speak of it later when others are not around. What if father Leopold were to come by at this moment? Think, Julia."
 
The mention of Leopold seemed to reach Julia. She stopped in place. She blanched as she saw a sword come toward her. The blade passed through her, but it caused no injury. "It didn't harm me, Cassius. I saw the blade pass through my flesh, yet it left no mark. How is it possible?" She gazed off toward the horizon.
 
Cassius rushed to her side. "Yes. You see. There is nothing that can harm you. It is in your mind. You can see it, but no one else can. It is a vision without substance. It cannot harm you. Julia!"
 
Julia did not respond. Cassius grabbed her arm and pulled her along towards their home. The forest was empty. No one witnessed her outburst. It was hard to say which appeared to be the more disturbing behavior, the wild pantomime of war or the vacant stare coming from her face as she shuffled along under the guidance of her brother.
 
"Father! Come quickly!"
 
Abramus was familiar with the tone. He knew that it involved his daughter. He rushed out of the house. "What is it, son? Is she injured?"
 
"No, father. She has had an episode in the forest. No one was witness. But, now she has withdrawn and I cannot reach her."
 
"Julia. Julia, it is your father. Speak to me, daughter." Abramus shook his daughter's shoulder gently, but she continued to stare blankly forward.
 
"She seemed more convinced than ever, Father. She listened to my admonishment to stop and then… her imaginary soldier struck a blow… or she perceived that he did. She said the blow passed through her… it passed through without leaving a mark. I tried to tell her it wasn't real"
 
"It's something new, is it not? I don't recall her ever responding like that. Then what?"
 
"Then it appeared to occur to her that it was perhaps a delusion. I think it is what happened. It hit her mind heavy and caused her to come to this state of melancholy. Shall I fetch the doctor?"
 
"Yes, indeed. I'm not sure if he is returned from his travels. Try to find him. If he is not to be found then perhaps Trellitia will assist us. She is versed in these matters as well."
 
Cassius ran down the pathway to do as his father wished.




 

Recognized

Author Notes
Excellent feedback. I learn from each little nit that is pointed out so please don't be shy. I appreciate it greatly. Some wonderful ideas that I keep in mind as well. Thank you everyone!


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.

     

© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement