FanStory.com - Lovely Lawnby Treischel
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Faux Limerick
Little Poems
: Lovely Lawn by Treischel

Lovely Lawn
(Faux Limerick)




Oh what lovely plants that grace this lawn,
Along this path that I walk upon.
What do you suppose
is tickling my nose?
"Tis fragrant flowers, to which I'm drawn.

When I find them here within my sight,
As they fill my eyes with such delight,
I give praise to God,
For where I trod,
I'm blessed with bright blue, yellow, and white.




Author Notes
This lawn is part of the Lake Harriet Rose Garden located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Isn't it lovely?

This poem is a Faux Limerick.
A limerick is a short, humorous, often ribald or nonsense poem, especially one in five-line anapestic meter with a strict rhyme scheme (AABBA), which is sometimes obscene with humorous intent. The form can be found in England as of the early years of the 18th century.


The standard form of a limerick is a stanza of five lines, with the first, second and fifth rhyming with one another and having three feet of three syllables each (nine syllables); and the shorter third and fourth lines also rhyming with each other, but having only two feet of three syllables. The defining "foot" of a limerick's meter is usually the anapaest, (ta-ta-TUM), but catalexis (missing a weak syllable at the beginning of a line) and extra-syllable rhyme (which adds an extra unstressed syllable) can make limericks appear amphibrachic (ta-TUM-ta). Source: Wikipedia.
What makes this a Faux Limerick is, that I didn't follow the meter requirement, humor aspect, and only 5 syllables in the short line. So it's similar, but not exact.

This photograph was taken by the author himself.

     

© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement