FanStory.com - Dreams, Outbursts and Johnny Cakesby michaelcahill
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Johnny tells of a dream, the group reacts unexpectedly.
Yosemite
: Dreams, Outbursts and Johnny Cakes by michaelcahill

Background
A huge disaster of unknown origin has stranded a group of campers in Yosemite Park. They have to learn to work together in order to survive.

In the last installment we learned that Jennifer had lost her baby. We have yet to see what her full reaction to that is. We have begun to meet the people at the campsite. We catch the group gathered around the campfire and Johnny is about to tell them about a dream he has had. Or, at least he is telling them that it is a dream he has had.


We lacked for entertainment. I liked to make things up. That is what I called anything I did of an artistic nature, making things up. I had an aversion to pretense. I don't like referring to anything I do as "my craft", even though I suppose it is. I guess it just puts a vision of the second grade in my mind of Elmer's glue and construction paper.

I informed the group that I had "that dream again", and they were all anxious to hear the details. I dream, but unfortunately I seldom recall in any detail what they are about. In any case, I made up a dream, based on our circumstance, to kill time for all of us.
 
"I saw a meeting of the United Nations. They were arguing the fate of the United States of America."
 
“There is no United States. It is an uninhabited wasteland. Therefore, a vote on the security council or a vote of any kind seems irrelevant!”
 
It was the Chinese ambassador speaking through an interpreter. The American ambassador, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. answered him.
 
“If I may Mr. Chairman Both Alaska and Hawaii as well as Puerto Rico and several other islands under our protectorship are unaffected by recent events. It is evident that the Pacific Northwest and most of our close friend and ally Canada are also intact. We have embassies all over the world. We have a major worldwide military presence at the ready. We remain financially sound with corporate interests the world over. We have embassies and citizenry working and living all over the globe. The mainland notwithstanding, the United States of America does indeed exist. Furthermore, it remains a nation of great power both monetary and moral. There are countless dead, true, but at the same time, there is a large population that is surviving. Plans are under way for rescue and reclamation. America endures, as it always has, and always will. It endures in the hearts and resolves of Americans everywhere. Let us not forget the wanton acts of terrorism that crippled our great land. We neither forgive nor forget these actions and remain at war with those factions involved. Rest will only follow victory and justice.”
 
With that, a majority of the assembly rose to its feet, some with more enthusiasm than others. Thus, affairs of a global nature resumed. The destruction was from a variety of causes. There were biological weapons with an unpredictable effect as weather spread their destruction at its whim. There were conventional weapons aimed as well. There were countless acts of terrorism and sabotage occurring simultaneously. Millions died instantly. Many millions more died a slow and horrific demise. And many millions more, ourselves included, clung to the edge of existence with death and danger surrounding every safe haven. For most of us, there was no knowledge of outside events. We could only speculate as to why and how. For us, the here and now demanded our attention.
 
I explained that I woke up then and that was all that I remembered. A discussion ensued. It was much like the discussions we usually had and based on facts that were, frankly, about as accurate. Whatever happened was unknown to us.

We knew the state of the world was precarious, and had been for some time, when we left for our little vacation. Speculating that all hell had broken loose was a reasonable conclusion. Indeed, my dream would not be a surprising scenario to discover given the state of things the last time we had first-hand knowledge of them.
 
Linda seemed upset, which was not a common state for her. "There is every likelihood that you are describing something very accurate. I doubt that what we witnessed and experienced confined itself to this part of the world. Part of the sky doesn't ignite like that. Let's face it, the whole damn world has gone to hell and we are probably on our own here. Does anybody get that? All these little get-togethers and talks are nice, but when are we going to get down to the damn reality of our situation?"
 
I must say that she spoke the truth. I could see it on everyone's faces. At least the faces that had a familiarity with reality. The mental patients could've been sitting at home on the couch waiting for medication. Hell, they were perfectly equipped to deal with this situation.

They brought the same coping skills to every situation, at least until their medication ran out. That would be in the not too distant future. I would have to start cutting back right away. Just one more little task to add. Linda's outburst required a response. Just as I was about to give one. Christine spoke up.
 
"It is pointless to invent a world that we don't inhabit. We inhabit this world. The thirteen people that live in this little area faced with whatever conditions exist right here. To concern ourselves with anything that exists outside of that is bordering on insanity. When you wish upon a star, don't you wish for something that will affect the life you are living? Or, do you wish to live on the star as it hurtles through space? It makes good sense to play a game by the campfire. The benefits are immediate. Worrying about what might happen if something else might happen doesn't sound nearly as productive. Preparation is one thing. Speculation is better spent on making up fantastic stories about flying saucers. At least they have entertainment value."
 
"It's hardly insane wanting to come up with some kind of sensible plan of survival. We have five mental patients here and I hate to break the news here, but the pharmacy don't deliver to the Emerald Forest. We have the mercantile here with supplies and food. But, what about when that runs out. What about water. Is that water over there drinkable?"
 
She motioned over to the little stream about fifty feet from our campsite. It stood beneath a large overgrowth of something green that was more like a plant than it was a grass. I had drank from it, so I knew it was good. I jumped in.
 
"You're both right, of course. Christine is correct. Trying to figure out what happened is a waste of time. Nothing works. As far as we are concerned, it is as she says. The world consists of what is right in front of us, each other and whatever supplies we have plus the contents of that store. Yes, we need to plan things out. But, really, a lot of it is going to have to be response to what happens. That will occur when things happen. We just have to…"
 
"Shut up! Damn it! Why don't you all just stop this mindless meaningless talk. Shit happens and there is nothing you can do about it. Here we are. You get it. Here the hell we are. You’re here, I'm here, these idiots are here and that isn't going to change. Do you think that we're going to come up with some cozy gimme a hug solution to this? Hell no. We're gonna be crappin' in the forest and eating dead people before we're done. And for what? What in hell is the point of it all anyway?"
 
Jennifer's outburst silenced everyone including me. I knew where it came from, but I don't think anyone else did. Besides, what had she said that wasn't true? Christine stood up, walked over to Jennifer, and put her arm around her. I know that she didn't know about her being pregnant let alone her loss of the baby. She just cared and it was genuine.
 
Christine spoke, "We all have the same thoughts in our head. Let's face it. Jen isn't saying anything that we all aren't thinking. I'm thinking worse to be honest with you. I'm already writing recipe's for Johnny cakes with real Johnny in them."


 

Recognized

Author Notes
I'm trying to resist the temptation to rush and drop a bombshell in every post. Certain things have to be introduced like who the characters are, location, housing and other things that aren't exciting, but are necessary. I'll try not to make that too boring. Hahaha. Your suggestions and input have been amazing and have elevated the story and expanded it considerably already. I hope you will continue to feel free to offer your opinions and ideas, I'm all ears.

     

© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement