FanStory.com - Overlookedby Treischel
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Reverse Rispetto
Little Poems
: Overlooked by Treischel

Overlooked
(A Reverse Rispetto)


When I chanced upon this lovely thistle,
Covered throughout with its parts that bristle.
Under my gaze was this overlooked sight,
Tiniest petals of purple and white.

Often considered a sticky weed bud,
Many people think this plant is dour
With its reputation dragged through thick mud.
Actually, it's a beautiful flower.







Author Notes
Sometimes we overlook the beauty in things due to stereotypes. This is considered an obnoxious weed.

This poem is a Reverse Rispetto.
A Rispetto is an Italian poetic format consisting of two quatrains with a changing rhyme scheme. In the first quatrain is abab rhyming. In the second is aabb rhyming.

The meter is usually iambic tetrameter (but for a Reverse Rispetto it becomes trochaic tetrameter, the opposite of iambic) with a rhyme scheme of abab ccdd (but for a Reverse Rispetto the order is switched to aabb cdcd). So the Reverse Rispetto is the opposite in both rhyme scheme and meter.

Rispetto, ( Italian:respect,) plural rispetti, a Tuscan folk verse form, a version of Strambotto. The historic Rispetto lyric is generally composed of eight hendecasyllabic (11-syllable) lines. In its earliest form the rhyme scheme was usually abab abcc. Later, the scheme abab ccdd became popular.

This photograph was taken by the author himself.

     

© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement